*[Official]* Ice cream sandwich!!!! Discussion

1. loewendickr

loewendickr Member

I want the lastest new on this. is it even gonna come out for the Inspire? if so when? what is gonna be different? how do you guys feel about it?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Lion Man

Lion Man Member

i keep hearing things about ICS but i have no idea what it is. anyone want to explain it.
  3. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Well-Known Member

Ics is the next android os, i read it's a mix of gingerbread and honeycomb

Cupcake 1.5
    Donut 1.6
    Eclair 2.0, 2.1
    Froyo 2.2
    Gingerbread 2.3
    Honeycomb 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 (optimized for tablets)
    Ice Cream sandwich 4.0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history
    NWFD22, Elantra and Edge1978 like this.
  4. dots

dots Well-Known Member

It'll likely come via cyanogenmod 9 (i cant wait :)) before htc brings an offical update.
  5. Saltine713

Saltine713 Well-Known Member

If HTC brings any update to it at all, it will not be for a while, as they still don't have 2.3.4, then making the jump to 4.0 and adding Sense 3.0.X
  6. Intervention

Intervention Member

Going a little off topic, I honestly see no point in ICS. I don't know why Android wants to mash up Tablet and Phone OS into one OS when that one OS is going to be either running on a phone or on a tablet. Unless this is for development purposes, but I don't know anything about that.
  7. gtalum

gtalum Well-Known Member

They're trying to limit fragmentation and present users with a unified system on their phones and tablets.
  8. Snake X

Snake X Well-Known Member

yeah i really wanna know if ice creme sandwich is coming to the phone or not too! If so then I will definitely be looking to buy this phone w/o contract.
  9. KaKnife

KaKnife New Member

Unified is simpler for programmers too
  10. ashtonpry

ashtonpry Member

today i got a notification for download complete, i thought it was just something i downloaded earlier it but it said ice cream sandwich. i clicked it and it disappeared, so i have no idea what it was. i dont have ics though, or anything ics related. i got excited for a minute but now im just confused :(
  11. Saltine713

Saltine713 Well-Known Member

HTC Inspire? Either you are lying, trolling, or both. The Inspire will never get ICS, you need to root and flash a ROM.
  12. RigelX

RigelX Well-Known Member

Not necessarily lying or trolling.
    I got some pretty weird popups like that when I got infected with an AirPush virus. Installing AirPush Detector found the guilty app and I was able to delete it. All is well.
  13. andrews317

andrews317 Well-Known Member

At the beginning i thought there would be ICS for the Inspire, at least not by HTC. This because of being a single core phone. But then I heard Sony Ericsson is getting it for all the 2011 Xperias, so I guess we might still have a chance.
  14. xxkid123

xxkid123 Well-Known Member

i doubt an official update. assuming the rate our technology keeps increasing then by the time an ICS update comes in a year the inspire will probably be a dinosaur phone. if not to us, at least to the corporate heads at HTC when they judge the profits to be made by updating a phone.

if you do want ICS i would just go with rooting the phone and getting it. i think cynanogenmod v8 is supposed to be 4.0.
  15. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Cyanogenmod 9 will be ICS.
  16. mojo_45

mojo_45 Member

17. MassacrMan

MassacrMan Well-Known Member

Awesome news to wake up to!
  18. dmullens

dmullens Active Member

Do I understand that it won't come until the end of the year?

Also will I have to unroot my phone? (I'm on stock rom)

Is it possible to unroot? I've been confused about that.
  19. sharksfan7

sharksfan7 Well-Known Member

If you want the official release from HTC/ATT, then yeah, you probably will have to wait until the end of the year. And yes you would need to unroot your phone to get it. However, I'm sure there will be fully functioning custom ROMs available before the official release. And those would be free of all the bloatware that ATT will add.

You can use the AAHK to unroot the phone. There is an option to "Return to Stock" and Radio S-ON.
  20. dmullens

dmullens Active Member

Thanks. I was hoping there was a way to unroot. It's been a while since I ran AAHK...I thought it said not to run it again, but apparently that was only so you wouldn't try to root it twice.

While I haven't put a custom rom on my phone yet, ICS might cause me to do that.
  21. thowe21

thowe21 Active Member

22. cpl77

cpl77 New Member

Are there any new news about the ics update for htc inspire 4g. any news would be appreciated.
  23. MassacrMan

MassacrMan Well-Known Member

AT&T has released a statement naming 10 additional phones to get it, the Inspire is not on that list.

I do not believe it was ever said to get it, though the Desire HD is said to get it.
  24. ebritt

ebritt Active Member

When Desire gets it soon there will be Inspire rom for root.