• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Ice Cream Sandwich for LG Connect info thread!

Probably a long shot, but due to hardware similarity between the Viper and Connect I wonder if it would be possible to at least pull what we need from the kernel of ICS for the Viper to combine with cyanogenmod 9? Kind of a long shot I know and that is of course assuming the Viper does get ICS and released source.

It should be possible to test this theory if someone is able to build the current Viper kernel from source and test it on the Connect. I don't know how to compile but would be willing to test if someone is up for trying that.

Upvote 0
Probably a long shot, but due to hardware similarity between the Viper and Connect I wonder if it would be possible to at least pull what we need from the kernel of ICS for the Viper to combine with cyanogenmod 9? Kind of a long shot I know and that is of course assuming the Viper does get ICS and released source.

It should be possible to test this theory if someone is able to build the current Viper kernel from source and test it on the Connect. I don't know how to compile but would be willing to test if someone is up for trying that.

It's a long shot, the revolution and esteem are extremely similar but are setup very differently

Upvote 0
It's a long shot, the revolution and esteem are extremely similar but are setup very differently

Yep. The one thing that crossed my mind with this is when LG kept telling people that the source for the LS840 is the same as for the MS840. That may have just been some BS to get us off their backs but due to how identical those two are it does make me wonder if we could at least get what we lack from that kernel (such as drivers). I think someone was compiling it to test but when the source for our phone was released I heard nothing more about it. This may be nothing more than wishful thinking on my part.

Upvote 0
well even at that convention that talks about mobile phones LG rep said that a plan for ICS for the Connect 4g is in the works so its not like its a surprise, its just a matter of when, hopefully very very soon since they released the source code for 2.3 could mean they are in the final steps of the ICS release. :) I wonder how this will mess with pre-rooted phones with CWM on them.

Upvote 0
well even at that convention that talks about mobile phones LG rep said that a plan for ICS for the Connect 4g is in the works so its not like its a surprise, its just a matter of when, hopefully very very soon since they released the source code for 2.3 could mean they are in the final steps of the ICS release. :) I wonder how this will mess with pre-rooted phones with CWM on them.

I personally can't wait! I need something new to play with. Also want to see if the hardware acceleration improves on anything.

Upvote 0

they didnt release the source code for the phone, they released a tiny part of some of their inner workings and teh kernel source. and no when they release source code has no bearing on ics.

i suggest you all read this, granted its motorola but the process is still the same.

• PHASE 1 – EVALUATION & PLANNING: During this phase, we evaluate the benefits, technical issues and user experience of an upgrade. Generally, we are not able to provide release dates in this stage. There are also some cases in which we can state that an upgrade will happen but are not able to provide a release date. Please note that some products that enter the Evaluation and Planning phase may not complete the upgrade cycle.
  • PHASE 2 – DEVELOPMENT: This phase represents the development of the software upgrade. When a device is in the Development Phase, we will provide an estimated calendar quarter for its availability. This date and the development activities are subject to change.
  • PHASE 3 – TESTING: Testing is an important phase to ensure that an upgrade works properly and delivers an improved experience. Testing time may vary depending on the device and carrier requirements. Once a potential upgrade enters this phase, Motorola Mobility will provide the approximate month that we expect an over-the-air (OTA) upgrade to become available to consumers. Availability still depends upon completion of testing and certification by carriers or relevant authorities.
  • PHASE 4 – AVAILABLE: Once the upgrade is approved by the carrier or local regulators, Motorola Mobility will note on this site that the software is available. In most cases, consumers will receive a notification on their device that the OTA upgrade is available. An available upgrade or update may be rolled out over a period of time in order to best manage the deployment volume and experience. At times, a small testing group is provided the upgrade before it's made available to a larger group. On your Motorola Android Phone or Tablet, you can go to Settings ⇒ About Phone/Tablet ⇒ System Updates to manually check for an OTA upgrade. All estimated release dates are based on available information and are subject to change.

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

the photon came out on july 18th last year, we are getting ICS sometime in Q3. the epic 4g touch has had about 12 leaked builds that are all in the testing stage and this has been going on since febuary with no sign of official. now granted these are moto and samsung but i assure you lg is not at teh top of my list for timey updates that fix things (go search for g2x updates... poor bastards). this is more to let people know dont expect ics in the next few months, if ics was that close they would have just launched the phone with it (it would have saved them a LOT of money).

Upvote 0
they didnt release the source code for the phone, they released a tiny part of some of their inner workings and teh kernel source. and no when they release source code has no bearing on ics.

i suggest you all read this, granted its motorola but the process is still the same.

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

the photon came out on july 18th last year, we are getting ICS sometime in Q3. the epic 4g touch has had about 12 leaked builds that are all in the testing stage and this has been going on since febuary with no sign of official. now granted these are moto and samsung but i assure you lg is not at teh top of my list for timey updates that fix things (go search for g2x updates... poor bastards). this is more to let people know dont expect ics in the next few months, if ics was that close they would have just launched the phone with it (it would have saved them a LOT of money).

That is completely true plus when I talked to the lg rep that came to our location the guy even told me that the phones from lg are usually the last to get plate because they want to make sure everything is perfect, but I think is bs anyways I wish metro releases a new high end 4.5 inch Samsung phone.

Upvote 0
That is completely true plus when I talked to the lg rep that came to our location the guy even told me that the phones from lg are usually the last to get plate because they want to make sure everything is perfect, but I think is bs anyways I wish metro releases a new high end 4.5 inch Samsung phone.

Pshh the closest you'll get to that at least this year is the droid charge looking phone coming this summer...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones