Official Ice Cream Sandwich for LG Connect info thread!General

1. yo yo yoags

yo yo yoags Member

I figured we needed an official Connect ICS thread. So post links or share any info you have on the update!

Advertisement
    :
  2. KrazeeCracker

KrazeeCracker Well-Known Member

what update? :laugh:
  3. tonylc74

tonylc74 Well-Known Member

Yea what he said?
  4. wilsonbx198st

wilsonbx198st Well-Known Member

i hear that the lg viper would receive ics ,so thats a big plus since the phone is almost the same.:D
    And i know for a fact that metro pcs wont give it to us.
  5. tonylc74

tonylc74 Well-Known Member

Yea that's probably true, as mentioned in other posts they(metro)would rather us pay for a new phone than update existing hardware, sad but true.
  6. Ozzieoh

Ozzieoh Well-Known Member

Im looking forward to a stock ics build for this phone then I'll be satisfied.
  7. Ozzieoh

Ozzieoh Well-Known Member

If a legit developer confirms to be working on one ill donate 40... 20 when its confirmed they are starting. The other 20 after
  8. yo yo yoags

yo yo yoags Member

For a fact?
  9. yo yo yoags

yo yo yoags Member

I second this. Add my donation in.
  10. THE W

THE W Well-Known Member

All new smartphones are gonna have ICS. The HTC smartphone rumored to be hitting metro will have it out the box.

I do doubt the connect getting it though.
    Ozzieoh likes this.
  11. DroidFan83

DroidFan83 Well-Known Member

Probably a long shot, but due to hardware similarity between the Viper and Connect I wonder if it would be possible to at least pull what we need from the kernel of ICS for the Viper to combine with cyanogenmod 9? Kind of a long shot I know and that is of course assuming the Viper does get ICS and released source.

It should be possible to test this theory if someone is able to build the current Viper kernel from source and test it on the Connect. I don't know how to compile but would be willing to test if someone is up for trying that.
  12. yahhboy

yahhboy Well-Known Member

It's a long shot, the revolution and esteem are extremely similar but are setup very differently
  13. DroidFan83

DroidFan83 Well-Known Member

Yep. The one thing that crossed my mind with this is when LG kept telling people that the source for the LS840 is the same as for the MS840. That may have just been some BS to get us off their backs but due to how identical those two are it does make me wonder if we could at least get what we lack from that kernel (such as drivers). I think someone was compiling it to test but when the source for our phone was released I heard nothing more about it. This may be nothing more than wishful thinking on my part.
  14. blazedsm

blazedsm Member

I will happily donate to have a fully working custom rom for this phone, such as ICS or CM9. Anything that will help with battery life and speed is always a good thing and after spending $300 on this, for the first time, I am willing to go further and help with the development by donating.
  15. blazedsm

blazedsm Member

16. pcflip

pcflip Well-Known Member

well even at that convention that talks about mobile phones LG rep said that a plan for ICS for the Connect 4g is in the works so its not like its a surprise, its just a matter of when, hopefully very very soon since they released the source code for 2.3 could mean they are in the final steps of the ICS release. :) I wonder how this will mess with pre-rooted phones with CWM on them.
  17. OrKo

OrKo Well-Known Member

It shouldn't really mess with anything. If it's an official update like the zv9 it'll just undo the root permissions and remove CWM when the updated OS flashes onto the phone.
    pcflip likes this.
  18. uncholowapo

uncholowapo Well-Known Member

I personally can't wait! I need something new to play with. Also want to see if the hardware acceleration improves on anything.
  19. Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin Well-Known Member Developer

they didnt release the source code for the phone, they released a tiny part of some of their inner workings and teh kernel source. and no when they release source code has no bearing on ics.

i suggest you all read this, granted its motorola but the process is still the same.

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

the photon came out on july 18th last year, we are getting ICS sometime in Q3. the epic 4g touch has had about 12 leaked builds that are all in the testing stage and this has been going on since febuary with no sign of official. now granted these are moto and samsung but i assure you lg is not at teh top of my list for timey updates that fix things (go search for g2x updates... poor bastards). this is more to let people know dont expect ics in the next few months, if ics was that close they would have just launched the phone with it (it would have saved them a LOT of money).
  20. Sniper1087

Sniper1087 Well-Known Member

That is completely true plus when I talked to the lg rep that came to our location the guy even told me that the phones from lg are usually the last to get plate because they want to make sure everything is perfect, but I think is bs anyways I wish metro releases a new high end 4.5 inch Samsung phone.
  21. yahhboy

Pshh the closest you'll get to that at least this year is the droid charge looking phone coming this summer...
  22. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Well-Known Member Developer

If the viper or other variant gets ics it would be a great help with any ports.

Oh BTW I have started on porting CM9 to the connect, but its not gonna be usable any time soon ;)

AT this stage it compiles but doesnt boot yet, well least not to the bootani yet.
  23. akikhia

akikhia Well-Known Member

may the force be with u
  24. I guess ics has alot of issues
  25. yahhboy

Nope not really, its pretty good :rolleyes:
    The issues are porting it