Official Ice Cream Sandwich for LG Connect info thread!General

1. dulal18

dulal18 Well-Known Member

Holy crap I am glad you solved the compile problem so quickly, cant wait will help out during testing please remember me lol :D and thanks a lotttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.
  2. If I may ask what is one of the biggest issues why it doesn't comply........I would love to be part of testing wen an official release is ready!!!!!!! Hope to hear an update soon this phone is too good to not have ics
  3. kazca

kazca Active Member

I have a spare connect4g and will use it for testing, let me know.
  4. robertkoa

robertkoa Well-Known Member

Friend of mine upgraded a Samsung Note on another Carrier to ICS and did not get much more functionality.

What does ICS do that current O.S. does not ?
  5. jprosek

jprosek Well-Known Member

Well from what I've read ics has a lot of performance tweaks compared to GB for instance I was reading that the os GUI for ics is rendered by opengl instead of java which is much more efficient. The real benefit comes from the aftermarket roms that are being developed from ics. Cyanogen and his team have done some amazing things with cm9 as far as increasing performance.
  6. theloric

theloric Member

is there anyway to keep us updated on your progress in the first post of the thread....
    thanks...
    an thanks again...
    :)
  7. I sense a ics rom coming soon....I hope I'm right
  8. TyLLy_4

TyLLy_4 Member

we're all still waiting with money in our wallets.
    Wont someone do this?
  9. pcflip

pcflip Well-Known Member

I work for MetroPCS and I can confirm that the only updates that MetroPCS approves is security updates to the current version of the OS only, and I can also confirm that Connect will not get an update, yes the LG rep said they were working on it but MetroPCS shot it down as they rather you buy a new phone.

So our only hope is for a custom rom to be produced.
  10. jmwinf146

jmwinf146 Well-Known Member

I believe you 110%
  11. jmwinf146

Yep I'm not a happy Metro customer. I think my next buy will be a Nexus. At least get support not just updates to block tethering.
  12. un1ocked

un1ocked Well-Known Member

buy a new phone from metro?
    it must be the LG-MS770
    what a downgrade... pretty sad here
  13. bucketbass

bucketbass Well-Known Member

I get sprint emails and current one had a link to this. Sprint.com | Sorry for the interruption...
    \
    You will nottice that there Viper now comes with ICS pre loaded. So now the trick I to find someone with this phone and the devs can work there magic...
  14. bsa2000

bsa2000 Member

Metro rep told me there is an update coming. They want us to fall in love with the ICS so we will buy new phones in the future.
  15. bsa2000

bsa2000 Member

What are you talking about, "SIMILARITY" They are both the exact same phone, just a different name. You cannot tell them apart and the hardware is exactly the same except for the name and the operating system.
  16. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Well-Known Member Developer

And nothing like the connect lol
  17. bsa2000

bsa2000 Member

I made a mistake in this post. The lg Viper Ls840 is the LG Connect ms840. Just notice the model numbers, they are the same. The Viper is sold by Sprint. It appears Sprint cannot sell the Connect unless they change the phones name, which is the Viper. The Viper received the ICS update. Why didnt the Connect get it also since they are the same phone re-branded? This is not right.
  18. Adknight87

Adknight87 Active Member

19. bsa2000

bsa2000 Member

Why is it, The Connect isn't getting the ICS update. I paid 350.00 for this phone less than a year ago. So far, I haven't received one concrete answer. Everyone says its not compatible. I say that's bull. Its very similar to the Viper in its hardware. Yet the Viper is compatible. I feel when someone spends larges amounts of money on a phone, you make it compatible. It can be done.
  20. carolcityboyz

carolcityboyz Well-Known Member

This is why the Connect will never be update. My e-mails to LG Cares. Beware long

When is the 4.0.4 update coming to this phone. The LS840 and VS840 equivalent to the MS840 both been updated to Ics Cream Sandwich. Why is the LG Connect 4G being left behind when it was the first of 840s to be released.

Please reply

-------------------

Whenever we get the information from Android/Google as to when we should expect the OS Update, then we can share this with you, but until then I'm afraid we cannot say without merely speculating.

Thank you for being an LG Customer and be blessed this New Year!

------Reply to Your Reply--------

Android OS Version 4.0 was released November 15, 2011, obviously LG got information from Android/Google because y'all updated the LS840 and VS840 to version 4.0.4 but the same variant MS840 has not yet. Lots of customers are complaining about poor battery life and slugging reaction with this phone, which an update could fix. If this phone has reach its end of life and won't receive anymore updates stop selling it.

"Hi! We just released a bit of code we thought this group might be interested in.
    Over at our Android Open-Source Project git servers, the source code
    for Android version 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) is now available.
    Here’s how to get it:Follow the instructions at
    http://source.android.com/source/downloading.htmlCheck out the
    ‘ics-release’ branch:repo init -u
    https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest -b android-4.0.1_r1
    That’s it! However since this is a large push, please be aware that it
    will take some time to complete. If you sync before it’s done, you’ll
    get an incomplete copy that you won’t be able to use, so please wait
    for us to give the all-clear before you sync.
    This is actually the source code for version 4.0.1 of Android, which
    is the specific version that will ship on the Galaxy Nexus, the first
    Android 4.0 device. In the source tree, you will find a device build
    target named “full_maguro” that you can use to build a system image
    for Galaxy Nexus. Build configurations for other devices will come
    later.
    Unfortunately we still don’t have our Gerrit code review servers back
    online. That remains our top priority though, and we hope to have them
    back soon.
    This release includes the full history of the Android source code
    tree, which naturally includes all the source code for the Honeycomb
    releases. However, since Honeycomb was a little incomplete, we want
    everyone to focus on Ice Cream Sandwich. So, we haven’t created any
    tags that correspond to the Honeycomb releases (even though the
    changes are present in the history.)
    JBQ, on behalf of the AOSP team."

Jean-Baptiste M. “JBQ” Queru
    Software Engineer, Android Open-Source Project, Google.

------Reply to Your Inquiry-------

That's a very good question, unfortunately one that has no easy answer as the OS Updates come from Android and Google on down to LG and the Carriers.

Although we do manufacture your Handset, when the OS Updates are released is not up to LG I'm afraid.

That being said, I do understand your concern and frustration as LG also shares that with you to some extent, but we cannot force anyone's hand to move.

It will be released and made available when it is is really all I can tell you, and until then like LG you will have to be patient.

Until then, however, thank you for being an LG Customer, and be blessed this New Year!

--------------------
    Metro PCS said they work closely with the manufacturers, I email you (LG) and you said as soon as google says it ok to update. I contact google they said it's up to the manufacturer to update their product. So who is lying?

By the way LG Lucid-VS840 and LG Viper 4G-LS840 both made by "LG Electronics" both been updated ICS 4.0.4. How hard is it to update your own product(LG Connect 4G-MS840), when you obviously update your other 840s. The LS840 and VS840 have over 7 hours of talk-time now when the MS840 barely has 4 hours. Why want you fix the battery drain with our phone.

------Reply to Your Inquiry-------

Everyone involved could keep ping ponging back and forth about who's responsible for the Update, or we all can simply wait until the Update becomes available, as I cannot tell you otherwise at this juncture I'm afraid.

The Battery drainage problem have you attempted any of the suggestions given in the Manual on page 19?

If this has failed you then you are always more than welcome to send the Battery into LG for Warranty Service anytime 24/7 by calling toll free at 1-800-243-0000.

Aside from this again you and LG are awaiting whomever is responsible for getting ICS 4.0 out.

Thank you for your email and your patience, and together we'll both enjoy ICS 4.0 when it is released.
  21. Mortician607

Mortician607 Well-Known Member

I thought that it was common knowledge that metro has to buy the updates to newer versions of android for our phones. They want you to buy a new phone, so they won't pay for an update. There will never be an official ICS or better for this phone. It's possible that a developer will make one at some point, but I doubt it.
  22. bsa2000

bsa2000 Member

I paid 350.00 for this phone to ensure that I am getting the ICS update. The salesman at Metro promised it. To this day, he still maintains that its coming, just be patient. Would you believe that this phone is still 350.00 with a operating system nobody wants. The Gingerbread operating system is good but cannot compare to the ICS. If Metro wants to keep a large portion of its customers for future phone sales, they should then hurry up with it. I am not very happy with Metro right now. All the customers that bought the Connect, may not ever buy another phone from Metro again, including me.
  23. jjrx3

jjrx3 Well-Known Member

I dont mind having gingerbread (still i would love to be on at least ICS) but my biggest problem is the battery. For that price they could have added a battery to last all day long.
  24. jmwinf146

I updated to vv4 and it wasn't that hard. Battery life seems better but still testing.