• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official "I've got mine" + user-reviews thread

Now that I've had it for a couple of days....

This is one fine machine!

As stated previously, I gave up an iPad2 to get the Infinity. Infinity is every bit as fast and smooth as the iPad2. I sell iPads where I work so if it slows down a little, I'll try to compare the Infinity and the new iPad side-by-side. I am running the performance setting in balanced mode. Changed it to the highest performance setting right out of the box just to check it out but then changed it back to check performance and battery life on the setting that I will probably use most of the time. It performed so well that I went to change it back to balance. I forgot that I already had!

No GPS problems. Works well, acquires fast and maintains signal.

WiFi is strong. I compared it to my Droid Razr and the Infinity actually saw four more hotspots than the Razr did.

Battery life is as ASUS advertises, both with and without the dock. One caveat though, it will not charge the dock/pad combo on a standard usb power adapter that only outputs 1/2 amp. I haven't tried either the dock or the pad by themselves. So if you are interested in a car charger, make sure you get a higher power usb adapter.

That's it for now. YMMV. Didn't want to get into numbers. That is for the professional reviewers. I just wanted to share some real world experiences. My co-workers at my Dallas meeting were very jealous. They should be. This is one hell of a machine!

Reactions: K-West and novox77
Upvote 0
You have to weigh what it is you need from a tablet. Many people choose Android devices because you have the freedom to do what you want with your content, whereas in the Apple world, they dictate how you move stuff around.

Amen to that. Apple isn't "better" than Android or vice-versa. They are different system philosophies which appeal to different user groups. I use Android because of its simpler connectivity without the need for iTunes. Others may not consider that important.

Reactions: novox77
Upvote 0
Well, I just returned an iPad 3 that I'd been trying for a couple of weeks. The screen is wonderful, just like you'd expect, however the Apple experience is not really for me. There was just too much that I found myself missing about Android. I kept trying to modify it so that it would behave more like my current tablet (Asus TF101). Then it occurred to me that if I was trying that hard to make it work like I think it should, then I've got the wrong device. So back it went to Best Buy, and I just ordered the TF700 from Amazon (no stock in any of the local stores). If I can get a screen that's as nice (or close) to that of the iPad, with a proper :) OS, then I'll be a happy camper.

Upvote 0
Well I'm traveling right now so I mostly use the tablet to web surf and read email. Other than speakers ( weighed n95 mentioned above) my two other complaints are frequent freezes in the browser, I use xscope, and occasional missed tap, but maybe those are due to freezes. Mind you I'm not talking about jerkyness but actual freezes where you can't scroll a loading page. I use the same app on my razr and tf101. The 101 could be a bit jerky but not this bad -- the razr almost never stalls. I wonder if the increased resolution is creating memory pressure and this thing needs more memory.

Also it gets a little warm around 105f with a lot of browsing. Most of the heat is upper left corner where I hold it..

I have noticed the jerkyness also with several browsers, stock, chrome and dolphin. It improves with putting it in high performance mode. But it is a bit frustrating with balanced power mode.

Upvote 0
I bought my Infinity two weeks ago, but unfortunately just sent it back to Amazon for a refund. I kept having a problem where the unit would freeze, going to an all-white screen save for a thin black stripe across the top. Would crash about once a day, the last couple of crashes happening while using Google Chrome. I had the option to return it for a replacement, but, having just plunked down $500 for this device, I'm hesitant to try again with another one until determining if I was just very unlucky, or if there are quality issues.

You were just unlucky. The problems that you described are not indicative of the normal experience with the infinity. It really is a very solid machine. I've used mine a lot and have not had a single crash or freeze. You really should give another one a shot.

Upvote 0
Either the firmware update or a cold boot (not sure which) signicantly reduced the 'freezing' effect I was having; i.e the tablet is now much more responsive when loading web pages; I can actually load multiple pages in parallel and switch between them and scroll (to read one page while the next finishes loading).

Upvote 0
After waffling back and forth between the iPad 3 and the TF700T I have decided and placed my order for the Asus tablet. I hope I made the right decision. Looking at all the Youtube reviews I was convinced that this tablet will be better and especially after Jellybean arrived it should be top notch. i also just ordered the TF 201 dock from Best Buy for $99.

Are there any tips I need to get started as this will be my first Android tablet? One of the concerns I have is the amount of apps available for this tablet. Is it really that bad? I certainly hope with each passing day there becomes more and more updated appf for the higher end HD tablets.

I certainly would hope that Google will update the play store with some kind of notification that the apps are tablet ready as compared to not. (Kind of like Apple does) That helps tremendously, instead of having to go through every app to see if it is compatible.

Anyway I just wanted to let everyone in on my excitement and I am happy to join the TF700T forums!!!!:D

Upvote 0
The # of apps doesn't concern me. There are THOUSANDS of apps that are suitable for tablet use. Sure it doesn't reach the tens of thousands that ipad has, but do you plan on installing tens of thousands of apps? The apps the android market...errr play store has are very suitable for most everybody's use.

But I agree that Google playstore does need to organize it's tablet apps for easy access. Down the line we will see more and more tablet optimized apps released.

Upvote 0
I just picked up mine from a brick and mortar MicroCenter store and am fairly pleased so far. The placement of the speaker is my biggest complaint. It does tend to seem laggy with streaming video and audio programs like Netflix and Pandora. Switching to high performance mode helps clear a lot of that up. The battery doesn't seem to last as long as advertised, even in powersaving mode my best time was just shy of 5 hours. Perhaps that will improve through a few thorough charges and OS update.

I will admit to being very apprehensive about the lack of flash support with JellyBean. A lot of the sites i frequently visit use flash, it will be a bummer to have to use my laptop only to access them. I just found out about the flash issue today .

All in all, am liking the Infinity.

Upvote 0
The Best Buy down the street says they have the 32GB Champagne Gold Infinity & the Keyboard Dock in the store for actual pick up, but still no 64GB? Seems odd that more ppl wouldn't want to double the on board storage for the extra $100, then have room to still add even more with an SD when they go on sale for $30...

They also have that pocket size 500GB Seagate GoFlex Satellite Mobile Wireless Storage Drive. But I am thinking it won't be too long before we see that in a full TB for the same price, maybe with a few improvements to battery life etc.

Built-in Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n)
USB 3.0/2.0 interface
150' range allows you to stream media to up to 3 Wi-Fi-enabled devices, including Apple

Reactions: BlueMuscles
Upvote 0
Am I correct in saying that this is just like having an ARM Ultrabook with a touch-screen and the fluidity of a mobile OS? It's pretty awesome if you really can have 256GB of total storage with the 64GB version plus a 64GB microSD and a 128GB SD in the dock. That's on par with the SSDs in Ultrabooks. I think the processor is almost as fast as a similarly priced one, too. Really, then, all you don't have is loads of memory, which you don't usually need unless you want a fully-fledged Android port of Photoshop.

Looking forward to striking it rich and picking one of these up.

Only concern is the battery life. I know it's supposed to deliver 9 hours plus a few in the dock, but I've heard of people running it flat in 3 (without the dock). It would be a shame if that were truly possible (even with intensive use, it should last at least 6 hours).

Upvote 0
I've read mixed experiences with the battery. It almost scared me off of getting the TF700. But I got one and am happy to report I do not have the battery issues some have. I can get a solid 6-7 hours of heavy use out of it. But my regular use will yield me close to 12 hours.

Same here.
Having spent some years with Android devices, I'm in the habit of setting widgets and various auto-updating apps to their lowest frequency of refresh (or manual) settings, and that likely makes a difference. In my typical usage I'll recharge every 2nd or 3rd day. Except on Sundays when I have much heavier usage, generally it'll need to be plugged in sometime in the early evening.

Upvote 0
Jer, I agree, I'm not wild about the proprietary charge port, but having had the TF101 I'm accustomed to it.

Surelee (sorry, I have to say it, (in my best Leslie Neilson voice) "and don't call me Surelee" :) ), naturally there are a few defective units with any device, but it doesn't seem like the TF700 has had a high percentage, so here's to hoping that next one is perfect.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones