• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official MetroPCS BYOD discussion thread

Please explain what short code messages are. I've been with metro since '11 and have never used them. I knew about them and that they were part of my plan, but I just never tried then out. So what are they and why are they so important?
They are codes from banks, security codes for a variety of things. For instance. If you sign up for a particular text message like a weather report. They will send you a short code. A set of numbers that looks like a phone number but usually 6 or less numbers.
Have you tried using a different text messaging app?

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
Have you tried using a different text messaging app?

Yes... I actually have always been very partial to the GoSMS app. It hasn't worked with the stock messaging or with GoSMS since I purchased this phone. It did work when I had my Metro LG Optimus L9. So I'm beginning to think the problem is with Metro and how they're setting the BYOD. I don't know... I'm really stumped! :(

Upvote 0
Please explain what short code messages are. I've been with metro since '11 and have never used them. I knew about them and that they were part of my plan, but I just never tried then out. So what are they and why are they so important?

Short codes are 5 to 6 digit numbers you usually use for receiving offers or in my case for my Bank I use to receive texts when my balance reached a certain amount, etc. They are very very handy. BOA short code is 692632 and when I try texting "Offer" to it I just get "Sorry, this service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." A few weeks ago it use to be I would get the "Access Denied" error.

Upvote 0
Yes... I actually have always been very partial to the GoSMS app. It hasn't worked with the stock messaging or with GoSMS since I purchased this phone. It did work when I had my Metro LG Optimus L9. So I'm beginning to think the problem is with Metro and how they're setting the BYOD. I don't know... I'm really stumped! :(
Check and make sure your SMS number is correct as well. What service was this phone originally on? Like I said I have had no luck with BYOD and Metro. Bought a Lumia 635. Phone wouldn't connect at anything but 2g. I then went on their site and found that I could use, not really, the Limit 822. That phone would only make calls. No internet and no texts. So I gave up and just stick with their phones. Currently using the ZTE ZMAX.

Upvote 0
Short codes are 5 to 6 digit numbers you usually use for receiving offers or in my case for my Bank I use to receive texts when my balance reached a certain amount, etc. They are very very handy. BOA short code is 692632 and when I try texting "Offer" to it I just get "Sorry, this service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." A few weeks ago it use to be I would get the "Access Denied" error.
Did you have to register your phone number with BOA? maybe try and cancel it and resign up for it. My bank I had to register my phone number. Maybe resetting with the bank will help. Or try contacting the banks customer service and see if they have any ideas.

Upvote 0
I have a iPhone 6 plus that I want to actiate but my concern is will my visual voicemail work and what's the best son settings for the iPhone? Thanks in advance

Visual Voicemail: Apple iPhone 6 Plus

I have T-Mobile G3 BYOD and the T-Mobile Visual Voicemail works. I has more options than MetroPCS version but you have to pay to use Voicemail To Text, Send As SMS & Send As Email options. I don't know you can setup to pay MetroPCS to use T-Mobile's extra features. I installed and been using Metro's version before I found out T-Mobile's app also works . If your phone is an T-Mobile iPhone 6 plus it should work with both apps. Other carriers iPhone's you will have to install Metro's app for Visual Voicemail. The link takes you to: "Learn how to access VisualVoicemail on the Apple iPhone 6 Plus."

MetroPCS
MetroPCS Visual Voicemail.png
T-Mobile
T-Mobile Visual Voice Mail-Top.png
T-Mobile Visual Voice Mail-Bottom.png

Upvote 0
Visual Voicemail: Apple iPhone 6 Plus

I have T-Mobile G3 BYOD and the T-Mobile Visual Voicemail works. I has more options than MetroPCS version but you have to pay to use Voicemail To Text, Send As SMS & Send As Email options. I don't know you can setup to pay MetroPCS to use T-Mobile's extra features. I installed and been using Metro's version before I found out T-Mobile's app also works . If your phone is an T-Mobile iPhone 6 plus it should work with both apps. Other carriers iPhone's you will have to install Metro's app for Visual Voicemail. The link takes you to: "Learn how to access VisualVoicemail on the Apple iPhone 6 Plus."

MetroPCS
View attachment 93333
T-Mobile
View attachment 93334
View attachment 93335

What about Wi-fi calling?

Upvote 0
WiFi Calling & Mobile HotSpot work also. I think you have to have My Metro to set E911 address for WiFi calling. When I called MetroPCS they told me that the phone had to be unlocked. I asked the seller if he could get Codes from T-Mobile; T-Mobile didn't give them unlock codes so I just bought the codes for $4.99 I only needed the SIM unlock code. I know other people say that it should not need unlocked. My F60 boot-animation says MetroPCS Riding on T-Mobile Network. Before I switch my F60 I got unlock codes from MetroPCS

Last edited:
Upvote 0
WiFi Calling & Mobile HotSpot work also. I think you have to have My Metro to set E911 address for WiFi calling. When I called MetroPCS they told me that the phone had to be unlocked. I asked the seller if he could get Codes from T-Mobile; T-Mobile didn't give them unlock codes so I just bought the codes for $4.99 I only needed the SIM unlock code. I know other people say that it should not need unlocked. My F60 boot-animation says MetroPCS Riding on T-Mobile Network. Before I switch my F60 I got unlock codes from MetroPCS

Thanks, I was speaking in regard to the iphone though

Upvote 0
A Metro branded phone also will do wi-fi calling.

Of course it will. ;)
The discussion here is about BYOD so that wouldn't really include devices that were already on Metro.
I was making the point that a T-Mo branded device should work for WiFi calling on Metro, even if it's not a device that is also available as Metr0 branded. But the same device not T-Mo branded won't have the WiFi calling built in and I don't think there is any way to add it.

Reactions: bobnstpete
Upvote 0
I have a Nexus 5 with a clean imei from a friend. It's running blisspop and it's unlocked. I was wondering if I could activate it myself or would I have to go to a store, and if I do have to go to a store, will I need to unroot and return to stock before they activate it? Thanks in advance :)
You can do it yourself, either online or over the phone. Or, you can go into the store. You can do it either way. You do not need to unroot it.

Reactions: GreenDino
Upvote 0
I know you have already gotten your answer but unless Metro has changed their website, you cannot active BYOD phones through their website. The phone call process should have you up and running in under 10 minutes. Done that 2 times now.
Thanks for that info. I've only activated two BYOD phones on Metro (my Moto G and my wife's Fire Phone) and I went into the store both times. I just assumed it could be done online.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones