[OFFICIAL]MHL - Looks like microUSB - all HDMI info hereTips

Last Updated: 2013-04-27 17:59:24
  1. Stryfe

Stryfe Member

The MHL standard specifies a 5pin port that can output HD video up to 1080p/60 and 192 kHz 7.1 channel audio to HDTVs. And that

Advertisement
    Matlock, Vanquished, MelissaM and 6 others like this.
  2. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

3. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

4. Kurakka

Kurakka Active Member

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but can some one confirm if the HDMI Type D connector that was used on the original EVO would also work with this new connector type? To me it would work out as I have one of those cables.
  5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Nope, not unless the MHL->HDMI adapter (you'll have to buy separately) has that type of HDMI connector.
    marctronixx likes this.
  6. lafester

lafester Well-Known Member

also curious where you found one. looks like the one @ expansys for $16.99 but its on pre-order. does this cable have a micro usb out for charging? I can't tell from the pics but i kind of looks like there is a port on the side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] edit-- looks like it does :)
  7. EarlyMon

8. lafester

looks like this is the one to get. the htc one is $38.99 but comes with an hdmi cable.
    marctronixx likes this.
  9. EarlyMon

HDMI cables you get from monoprice.com or way good ones for not much from Amazon. ;)

People say cheap HDMI cables are the same as expensive ones - not always true. But -- HDMI cables that say they're rated for HDMI 1.4 along the insulation, available for cheap, are as good.
    marctronixx likes this.
  10. lafester

I agree. bought 5 or so from monoprice awhile ago. I think they were $4 ea.
    marctronixx and EarlyMon like this.
  11. marctronixx

yes the adapter i have has a usb port for charging. it also has a full size hdmi port which is great. no need for additional cables.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  12. EarlyMon

Then that looks perfect and a whole lot less confusing that that Samsung array we pictured earlier in the thread.
    marctronixx likes this.
  13. marctronixx

sprint plans to sell the adapter starting july 28. ive got the SKU number written down and i can post it up if anyone wants it or you can send CS an email and ask them. i think expansys is cheaper at 17 dollars. not sure what sprint will charge for it.
    Doomstang and Emmexx like this.
  14. Emmexx

Emmexx Well-Known Member

Thanks :) Don't worry about posting the SKU. I was just hoping someone might know of a retailer. I will most likely order one at some point if I don't see something in store by mid-week. I need to stop into my local store in the next day or two anyway to see what they might have for accessories on release day.

I'm honestly looking forward to the mirroring function and just don't want to shell out cash twice: once for the MHL connector and again for an HDMI cable that might not be usable with the MHL connector.
    marctronixx likes this.
  15. jcunwired

jcunwired Well-Known Member

Having finally purchased micro usb and micro hdmi cables for every place in the house I can use them, out comes a new standard that renders 50% of this obsolete. Yippee!

While I understand that eventually this will provide lots of great functionality and the elimination of additional cables, now we still need two cables + 1 adapter. The fun never ends, does it?
    marctronixx likes this.
  16. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

I "invested" in 3 microUSB cables when I got my Evo. Monoprice, $6.00. These MHL cables seem pretty expensive still. I'll probably hold off until they become more mainstream. Not dying to do the HDMI mirroring right away.
    yourfriendmat and marctronixx like this.
  17. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

So I understand there is technically no HDMI out on this thing??? And that is served by using the micro-USB port to an adapter or something??? I would assume there is a cord(or there will be one) that is micro-USB to HDMI???

Also, to capture and play 3D on a 3D television, I assume you record in 3D and then just use the micro-USB to HDMI adapter(I honestly don't know the hardware and the reason for my first question) and then you still have to use glasses to view in 3D on the TV???

TIA
  18. EarlyMon

The port is an MHL port. It looks like a micro-USB and can accept a micro-USB directly - but it's a new Mobile HD Link port.

See earlier in this thread for adapters that essentially give a Y - with full-size HDMI out and a micro-USB on the side so you can charge via USB while watching via HDMI.

The 3D recording is supposed to follow one of the 3D standards such that video will stream via HDMI to your TV much the same way it would from a 3D satellite or cable channel. Whether or not you'll need glasses will depend on your 3D HDTV - most, but not all, of those TVs require glasses.

We're expecting TVs in the near future, from Samsung at least, to have MHL ports on them. In those cases, only one MHL cable will be required and the phone ought charge while displaying video over that one small cable.

Hope this helps!
    marctronixx and flyjbaker like this.
  19. flyjbaker

Sorry about that!! I guess it was my ignorance of the name of the port that made me miss this....now I know!
  20. EarlyMon

Sorry about what? LOL - no worries compadre! ;)

Simple case of having to learn all about a new port technology in order to use a phone. (The simple part is sarcasm - I mean - srsly - for a phone. Oh, well, newer, better, onward and upward. ;))
    marctronixx and flyjbaker like this.
  21. flyjbaker

I am still playing catch up on this thing... And of course I never really used the HDMI out on the 4G until the Netflix app and then I went out and bought a couple of cables just a month ago...now this...hahaha. Oh well, should be holding the 3vo here in a couple of hours.
    marctronixx and EarlyMon like this.
  22. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Well-Known Member

So what is everyone doing for an HDMI cable? I can't find one for sale anywhere.
  23. lpjzfan2005

lpjzfan2005 Member

I would get the MHL adapter from expansyes or the one tmobile sells for the sensation because it has the same mhl port. One can be found on the tmobile website for $20 and the expansyes one is $16
    EarlyMon and marctronixx like this.
  24. billyevo3d

billyevo3d New Member

any info on mhl 2.0 cable gonna come out or any of u lucky to have e3d already in your hands tryed to hookup ur evo 3d into ur 3d tv ?
  25. EarlyMon

Welcome to the forums!

I've moved your post into this helpful thread with the answers you're looking for - most all on this page, maybe a post or so back on the first page.

Hope this helps!
    marctronixx likes this.