• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*** Official Motorola Droid X Pre-Release Thread***

thanks about the comments bout confidentiality.. yes i cant say much . I wont talk about OS specifics or hardware specifics. I think you can get a good idea from whats out there already.. I am not privy to any release info either. with that said I have a Droid 1 as my personal phone and try every rom that gets released. I was very impressed with the Incredible.. but there was nothing other than thinness that was appealing coming from the droid 1. This phone beats the incredible in build quality and speed at stock settings. it bests the droid 1 in build quality tho it doesnt have moving parts.

more initial impressions that i can share
-high build quality- feels strong - size will be tough for those with small hands
-launcher very similar to some droid1 roms out there as seen in the leaked manual photo
-can install other launchers- launcherpro and helix run FFFAST.. cant seem to get back the original one..it disappeared after installing a new one.. ill figure that one out later..
-Fast fast fast- screens are silky smooth motion left and right and app tray is smooth- smoother than incredible (performance is faster with a launcher from market
-many moto apps
-there is def customization to the core os but it improves 2.1 compared to the droid1 2.1 and the incredible 2.1

das all for now.. time to work

Thanks for the info.

How does the screen compare to the Incredibles's AMOLED screen? I love the colors and brightness of the AMOLED but feel very tempted by the Xtreme. If the screen is just as nice, I will probably take the plunge.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info.

How does the screen compare to the Incredibles's AMOLED screen? I love the colors and brightness of the AMOLED but feel very tempted by the Xtreme. If the screen is just as nice, I will probably take the plunge.

I would imagine the screen will be on par with the Droid's screen as it's LCD and not AMOLED. For me that's better because I really don't like seeing the pixels on my Incredible's screen due to the pentacel issue.

Upvote 0
I really wish the xtreme had a keyboard. I hated the crappy little phone called xv6900 from Verizon. So I'm pretty sure I need a full qwerty after my touch pro 2.
I'd try the Shadow (or even the Droid or Incredible) in the store before you decide that you MUST have a physical keyboard. I know several people who got the Droid because they HAD to have a physical keyboard because they hated X phone that didn't have one. Now, they don't use the physical keyboard on the Droid.

Upvote 0
Im at a bar for happy hour. Had some people ask about it. And no. I wont be losing it here. Lol . Feels natural in the hand. The lip doesn't affect the comfort. Scree is brigh layedt. Loaded some mp4hd files. Ran ok. Even played a popular video file type. A little stutter and audio don't play but.it.did play and high quality. Has same unique droid 1 hardware features, you know what they are. Can't go into that further. More later

Upvote 0
Does it have a front facing camera? The CEO of Motorola said today that they will release 2-4 phones this year with front facing cameras. Is this one of them?

I don't get all the hype with the front facing cameras...I have one on my laptop and have only used it once in the year that I had it. Phones definitely dont need it IMO. So I hope the Xtreme doesnt have one since its just one more thing to break....

Upvote 0
I don't get all the hype with the front facing cameras...I have one on my laptop and have only used it once in the year that I had it. Phones definitely dont need it IMO. So I hope the Xtreme doesnt have one since its just one more thing to break....

I don't know how this comparison even makes sense. Do you make phone calls on your laptop? Is your laptop the same kind of communications device as your cell phone? It's two different things... In the long-run, the cell phone is the "right" device to have video calls and the laptop most certainly is not.

Video calling itself has many hurdles to become successful. First of all, both parties have to have a device that's capable. Secondly, both devices should have a compatible service. Last of all, 3G can't sustain the speeds, thus the iPhone only does it over WiFi, which makes the usefulness quite limited. We really need 4G to make it a usable feature.

So I actually agree that a front-facing camera is not that useful...yet. Maybe in a year or two.

Upvote 0

I really don't care about a front facing camera either, but would you say you wouldn't want one? I guess I am all about having extra features even if I will never use them, at least I will have it if I ever want to use it. Well as long as they are going to charge the same price for it, why not have more features if you can.

Upvote 0
Do you have kids?

I have a 21month and a 5 month old and I use my webcam on my computers all the time with my family out of state. Most of my family are all on Verizon and are moving to Android phones as well. Having that option available at anytime would be priceless so my parents wouldn't miss an important event.

I don't know how this comparison even makes sense. Do you make phone calls on your laptop? Is your laptop the same kind of communications device as your cell phone? It's two different things... In the long-run, the cell phone is the "right" device to have video calls and the laptop most certainly is not.

Upvote 0

Do you not have any friends and/or a girlfriend/wife? I use my webcam all the time and would also use a front facing camera often...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones