• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official New to Android Thread (coming from iPhone)

amaranojr

Lurker
Feb 13, 2011
i didnt see a thread like this so if there is, mods delete it.

im coming from Apple. Had every iphone since the original one. In between ive had only a blackberry bold for a short amount of time before going from the 3G to 3GS. Now i went from the iPhone 4 to this. Im really liking it. For other apple jumpers ill post my pros/cons as well as apps ive downloaded.

Pros:
-huge screen.
-so easy to use. since im brand new to android i have no prior knowledge but ive been able to pick up on everything because i feel like whatever i think the phone should do it already does.
-htc sense
-google chat
-widgets. i love being able to just slide to the left screen and activate my wifi. so simple. the google widget and youtube widget are great as well.
-navigation. actually does turn by turn outloud. im not sure if this is a trial or its free, can someone confirm?
-LOVE that i can sync my music through itunes wirelessly through iSyncr Wifi Lite

Cons:
-Battery. i dont know if i have a faulty battery or i just use my phone too much...but the iphone 4's battery honestly blows this one away. Came off a full charge 2 hours ago and im down to 80% battery life. my screen display brightness is set to around 30% and my screen is set to time out after 30 seconds. through battery indicator it says that 75% of my battery use is just from the display????!
-SCREEN SHOTS/CAPTURES- a big form of my communication between friends was through screen shots. funny things mostly i was able to just simply screen shot and send...i cant do that anymore now.
-Internet Speeds- i feel like my iphone 4 was faster on the internet. kind of upsetting since this phone has 4G in its name. i understand the whole 4g speeds dilemma, but it should be at least AS FAST as the iphone.
-the speaker is not as loud as the iphone4s. i could hear my phone ring from a mile away, not so much with this phone.
-despite it having an 8megapixel camera i feel that it is so-so. not better than iphone4 but not really worse.

APPS ive downloaded:
-handcent sms (emoji plugin)
-isyncr wifi
-dolphin browser hd
-advanced task killer
-battery indicator
-astro

basically my biggest gripe is the battery. as much as i love the phone i dont know if this is going to cut it for me. any help?

if i think of anything else ill add but thats basically where i am after having the phone since Sunday.

also...which browser works the best. i think ive tried them all. i like skyfire because it loads the desktop versions but i feel like it it a bit laggy.

Dophin HD has a webtop option as well. That way you can watch tv from tv.com on it :)

I prefer it because the gestures come in way handy for scrolling to the top of the page/bottom of the page..or. I just gester "T" on it and it goes to tv.com etc...way better than having to use a favorites folder..

Upvote 0
Also, you can't judge the battery from just a few days. IMO, you need to cycle the battery three times initially and then use normally. It was 2 weeks before my Aria battery went from "pure crap" to "pretty decent".

What do you mean by "cycle" it? I was told to not let it get down to 15% everyday but to only do it once a month. I would like to know your opinion on this also.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones