• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Nexus 2 Discussion

I would love to see a follow up to the Nexus One with vanilla Android and the same carrier agnostic treatment but I'm afraid that the introduction of a new phone will mean that Google will no longer provide updates to the original Nexus. The N1 is less than a year old and I really can't afford another $500-$600 to upgrade to a Nexus Two. I was really hoping that my N1 would last me at least 2, maybe 3 years before before I ditched her for something younger and prettier. I may eventually root my phone but it would be nice knowing that I didn't have to modify it to get Gingerbread, Honeycomb, or Ice cream.

Upvote 0
My N1 is going to go bye-bye. I just need to decide for what. Looks like its coming down to the N2 or MT4G or whatever Samsung rolls out in Nov. 4" is the perfect size. Anything larger and the might as well give you a man bag cause it's not made for pockets.

It's just a shame that I spent over $500 for an experiment but the two I have are the great phones.

Upvote 0
i really hope they do come out with a N2. i'm a late convert to the N1, had it for about 3 months. i was one of those people who wouldn't buy a phone without being able to go see and touch a demo. well, time and experience has proved to me that all these manufacturers who meddle with the android os do nothing but hinder it. i tried a vibrant (galaxy s) for two weeks. wow, what a cluster. google should pull their licensing rights to release android phones. after the debacle of having a samsung phone, i took the time to research the different android phones and wound up buying a used N1 on ebay.

it took me a while to come around and buy a phone that i had never seen or touched, but now i wouldn't hesitate to buy another phone directly from google. i'm still amazed that the N1 is still superior in most ways to every android phone that has hit the market in the past couple of months. i just hope there are enough people like me that would welcome a N2 from google AND that google recognizes the people like me. they might have a much more positive reaction from the market this time around.

also, i don't remember any tv ads for the N1. maybe if google did a little better job marketing the N1 it would have sold better. and maybe they will put more of a marketing budget behind the (hopefully real) N2.

crossing my fingers.

one caveat, if the G2 is made by samsung, it would take a lot of positive reviews before i would buy it. i don't think samsung mobile could find its a$$ with BOTH hands.

PS- the ONLY thing i liked better about my vibrant was the screen. would prefer a 4" screen. not only is it a little nicer for web surfing, but i typed faster with less mistakes because the keys were a little bigger on the screen.

Upvote 0
Oh my lord, not Samsung. No one needs a successor to the N1 that's made of ****ing plastic.

(Before you ask or point out that one of the US carrier variants aren't all plastic: the international Galaxy S is plastic all over. It's light, but incredibly displeasing to handle and a giant fingerprint magnet.)

In any case, if it's not a dual-core with a Tegra 2 chip, it's not a worthy upgrade. Samsung's Hummingbird GPU is nice, but not that nice.

Upvote 0
Oh my lord, not Samsung. No one needs a successor to the N1 that's made of ****ing plastic.

(Before you ask or point out that one of the US carrier variants aren't all plastic: the international Galaxy S is plastic all over. It's light, but incredibly displeasing to handle and a giant fingerprint magnet.)

In any case, if it's not a dual-core with a Tegra 2 chip, it's not a worthy upgrade. Samsung's Hummingbird GPU is nice, but not that nice.

Tegra 2 chip is definitely on my short list for upgrading, not worthy if otherwise.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones