• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official OTA Update Discussion

since then every hour my phone alerts me with a message saying "A New Software is installed and ready to use." Well why does it continue to say that? Am I not using it? Did I miss a step in the install process?

And next question, what is it exactly that was updated?

Both your questions are answered at the Captivate FAQ, which is always a good place to check first. ;)

I897UCJH7 - CapFAQ

Reactions: Jus10
Upvote 0
The last thing you want to be doing is applying an official system update to a phone with nonstandard/unexpected filesystems (which is what the "lagfix" hacks do). That's what bricks your phone, and would be the expected result.

I believe most custom ROMs intentionally block OTA updates for this very reason. By brute-forcing the update onto your phone, you were intentionally bypassing this safety check.
I flashed back to jh6 a few times with odin and flashed perception 9.5 yesterday. I had no bricking issues. I didnt disable vodoo either.

Upvote 0
I flashed back to jh6 a few times with odin and flashed perception 9.5 yesterday. I had no bricking issues. I didnt disable vodoo either.

Odin != "official system update". So I'm not sure what your point is.

Odin is a separate tool that flashes more of the system than an in-place over-the-air update/upgrade (which tries to preserve your data). Odin overwrites and completely re-does more of the various filesystems. The only thing Odin doesn't wipe clean and redo is the sdcard/ directory.

The person I was referring to started with a stock 2.1 setup, applied a lagfix, then tried to install an OTA update. This resulted in a brick. Totally different scenario than what you're describing.

Upvote 0
I noticed a lot of people were asking about the AT&T OTA froyo 2.2 and why isn't it here yet. The answer is that they're still negotiating the terms for it and that is why we don't have it yet. I also learned that when it downloads the update and restarts and after attempting to install it, it instead restarts my phone again and then says it could not install the update, that is because there is no update officially available. Not sure what it's downloading but it is not able to install anything because there is nothing to update. However, Applying hacks and things are NOT a one way street, do NOT believe these guys. you can ALWAYS undo what you did to your phone. and before taking any advice from these guys I suggest you call samsung tech support until you find someone who knows what they're talking about and everytime I have called I always find someone knowledgeable and extremely helpful on the first call, unlike the cold shot I keep getting from the people who think they know better than the developers themselves. Save yourself the trouble and don't post in here asking your issue.

Upvote 0
The answer is that they're still negotiating the terms for it and that is why we don't have it yet.
Source?

However, Applying hacks and things are NOT a one way street, do NOT believe these guys. you can ALWAYS undo what you did to your phone.
The reason people say it's a "one-way street" is that the only existing way to revert back to "stock" is to use the infamous Odin "1-click" method. The problem is, that ROM has been proven to not be 100% return to stock. Not only do things like OTA updates tend to not work for people, but it overwrites sbl.bin with the wrong version for many people which kills the ability to enter into download/maintenance mode via the 3-button method and can leave you in a situation where you have a bricked and unrecoverable phone. There are threads about this over at XDA.

Upvote 0
I noticed a lot of people were asking about the AT&T OTA froyo 2.2 and why isn't it here yet. The answer is that they're still negotiating the terms for it and that is why we don't have it yet. I also learned that when it downloads the update and restarts and after attempting to install it, it instead restarts my phone again and then says it could not install the update, that is because there is no update officially available. Not sure what it's downloading but it is not able to install anything because there is nothing to update. However, Applying hacks and things are NOT a one way street, do NOT believe these guys. you can ALWAYS undo what you did to your phone. and before taking any advice from these guys I suggest you call samsung tech support until you find someone who knows what they're talking about and everytime I have called I always find someone knowledgeable and extremely helpful on the first call, unlike the cold shot I keep getting from the people who think they know better than the developers themselves. Save yourself the trouble and don't post in here asking your issue.

I'm still new to the Android platform and don't know much about it compared to the other blokes in here, so forgive me if this sounds stupid...

But how is it AT&T can have 2.2 on upcoming out on stock devices this quarter but cannot negotiate the update for current devices?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones