• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Photon 4G Accessories Discussion Thread***

Any more battery reviews or suggestions? Just got a used Photon with 2 BF5X batteries included. I can only get 12 hours out of each with 2.5 hours of (bluetooth headset) talk and maybe 40 mins web surfing... rest of the time idle. It's the only thing I hate about the phone, other than the bloatware.

Suggestions please. :)

If you want to keep the same thickness as stock, MUGEN POWER offers a slimline 1700mah battery for the PHOTON. Actual run times aren't stated w/this battery, but, MUGEN is one of the better known & trusted brands.

I myself have a TREXCELL 3500 extended battery, which will get you through a normal days usage w/out looking for an A/C outlet to juice up.This battery, as most extended batteries, is significantly thicker than stock & comes w/the accommodating cover.

Another less expensive option is buying two brand new stock MOTOROLA batteries.
I just bought one from AMAZON from a trusted seller for $8.88 & it works just as the original battery did when it was new.
I suspect since you bought the PHOTON used, & it's not lasting as long as you'd expect it to between charges, the batteries are past their peak life cycle & need replacing.

*Also,take a look at the TASK MANAGER application that's installed on the phone & utilize it as much as possible to maximize battery life.
I ignored this application for a long time & until recently,hadn't realized that using this application will extend the battery life between charges.

Reactions: horsepow3r
Upvote 0
*Also,take a look at the TASK MANAGER application that's installed on the phone & utilize it as much as possible to maximize battery life.
I ignored this application for a long time & until recently,hadn't realized that using this application will extend the battery life between charges.

This. I have 2 Motorola batteries that I swap out every night, so I can keep my phone off the charger when I'm sleeping. I always place the phone on maximum battery saver at night and it only drains by 9-11 percent by the morning. Works brilliantly for my needs. As spotty as service is for all providers in my area, Sprint is the strongest and still has trouble keeping full signal all the time, so the maximum battery saver option helps tremendously.

Reactions: horsepow3r
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. The batterys that came with the phone are brand new. I opened one of them to compare with the already opened one to see if I got better uptime. Nope. These are 1500mah batteries.

If I got about 12.5 hours with the (light) usage as stated in my first post, do you think that 1700mah's will make that much more of a difference versus the 1500's? I would like to continue to use the slim batteries, as I've already bought a case and clip. I'd like to keep the slim profile of the phone, as it feels rather nice in me hands. :)

I have used the task manager. Thanks for the tip. Also been using the free version of Juice Defender. I'm not convinced it's helping. Is 12~+/- hours on this device with light usage normal? Glad I didn't get the Evo 3D. Read that the battery life is much worse.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. The batterys that came with the phone are brand new. I opened one of them to compare with the already opened one to see if I got better uptime. Nope. These are 1500mah batteries.

If I got about 12.5 hours with the (light) usage as stated in my first post, do you think that 1700mah Mugens will make that much more of a difference versus the 1500's? I would like to continue to use the slim batteries, as I've already bought a case and clip. I'd like to keep the slim profile of the phone. as it feels rather nice in me hands. :)

I have used the task manager. Thanks for the tip. Also been using the free version of Juice Defender. I'm not convinced it's helping. Is 12~+/- hours on this device with light usage normal? Glad I didn't get the Evo 3D. Read that the battery life is much worse.

Thanks!

I'd honestly get rid of Juice Defender. For some reason, it seemed to be more of a hindrance on Motorola vs. other phones I've had (e.g. HTC, LG, Samsung). One noticable problem Juice Defender was causing on the Photon was when first taking the phone out of standby and trying to open a browser. It would always take a few minutes for the Juice Defender to turn the radios on.

And yes, 12+ hours on light usage is normal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones