***Official Photon 4G Accessories Discussion Thread***Tips

Last Updated:

1. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

Advertisement
  2. BanterandRant

BanterandRant Well-Known Member

Is it true that the car dock does NOT have a charging option? I have not been able to confirm this one way or another, but, I saw a review that stated it was just a mount and not a charger, too.

These things need charging often, esp. when using GPS etc.

I hope this is wrong, ...anyone know for sure?

Actually, I read it in the review linked below.... there HAS to be a car charging option....

3. drexappeal

Interesting. That would be so absolutely pointless if they made the dock without the capability to charge...LOL. My hope is they made it like HTC's dock that has a micro usb input on the base. If not, I"ll be looking at other options for sure.
    BanterandRant likes this.
  4. DMC-12

DMC-12 Active Member

I really want a laptop dock for the Photon. Looks like the Bionic is getting one :-\
  5. RedSun

RedSun Active Member

really have a need for the (truck) dock :p

interested in the desktop dock, but really can't seeing dropping that kinda money for it. will wait until someone figures out how to bypass the physical dock device and still allow for all the things you can do WITH a dock in place...

i seem to recall they figured out how to do it w/the atrix?
  6. wubbie075

wubbie075 Well-Known Member

How can this not affect the appearance of the screen while on??
  7. RedSun

RedSun Active Member

my guess is that the film is photo sensitive and reacts to light. how this works would be wgeb light hits the back side (what's touching the screen), the film then becomes transparent allowing you see what's going on. once the back-light disappears, the film resumes its natural status of being translucent or in its natural state....mirrored.
  8. McLogan

McLogan Active Member

I think that a magnet in the right place on the back of the droids would make it think it was in a dock and go into media dock or web dock mode. I am not sure about how this worked on the Atrix. I think that there are some apps which can throw the older Moto droids into dock mode without the magnet.

One of the reasons I passed on the Evo 3d and am waiting on the Photon is its ability to do presentations through its HDMI out. I would like to be able to have the photon as a backup for powerpoints.

Anyone have any experience with a bluetooth keyboard and using it with an android phone. Any recommendations or warnings on keyboards?
  9. drexappeal

10. aaron130

aaron130 Active Member

If you look at pic # 9 of 23 in your first post you can see that the phone plugs into the car dock, so where you sit your phone you have to "plug" your phone into it so I would say it does charge it. Like you said its kinda pointless having a car dock that doesnt charge it,lol.
  11. drexappeal

That's the thing, BanterandRant pointed out that in the article that I posted, it talks about how there's a microusb plug sticking out, but apparently all it does is activate the phone to go into "car mode." If that's the case, the dock won't charge unless Motorola has run wires through to the base of the dock, similar to how the HTC evo 4g and 3d car docks are.
  12. aaron130

aaron130 Active Member

WOW that would.be messed up if its true. Why on earth would ANYONE make one that doesn't charge,LOL. I actually hope iGrip makes one for the photon I like there's and with every phone I get I just change the holder. Like now I have the Evo 3D and a iPhone 4(work phone) and all I do is change the holder, they all fit the same base.
  13. drexappeal

You know, the one thing I'm hoping for is to see more aftermarket manufacturers making accessories.
  14. donniegood

donniegood Well-Known Member

Sprint store had them in yesterday it comes with charger so on would assume it charges
    ScandaLeX and drexappeal like this.
  15. drexappeal

Nice. Thanks for pointing that out. I've never really purchased accessories from Sprint just because you could get much better deals online (that's even with the Premier accessories discount).
  16. donniegood

donniegood Well-Known Member

Same here the HD media dock in store is called the superdock or something and it is 130
    drexappeal likes this.
  17. drexappeal

Nice! Maybe I'll stop by the corporate store by my work to see if they have any displayed...hmmm.
  18. drexappeal

Okay, so I got curious about the "charging" aspect of the Photon specific dock made by Motorola, so I looked at the Atrix dock for comparison.

On Motorola & Best Buy's website, it says that there's a dual port power charger adaptor for charging, so I'd imagine they'd design the car dock exactly like they did for the Atrix, so that you can charge. It's possible that the reviewer just didn't look carefully:

Vehicle Dock for Motorola ATRIX 4G

Motorola - Vehicle Dock for Motorola Atrix 4G Mobile Phones - 89456N
    ScandaLeX, aaron130 and BanterandRant like this.
  19. halfdriven

halfdriven Member

drexappeal likes this.
  20. aaron130

aaron130 Active Member

I certainly hope so,LOL. From what I remember with the Evo 3D it showed up on the website at about 12:15am ET for the 3 day premier customer orders, so ill be checking starting at midnight. And it shows up for everyone but u can't order unless u sign in as a premier customer.
    drexappeal likes this.
  21. drexappeal

Ever since I got my EVO, I haven't been a big advocate for using a case due to the added bulk (and the fact that I pocket my phones). Otterbox has always seemed to make cases that were way too bulky, IMO,...but, the tradeoff is that everyone I've read about that uses otterbox cases says they're the most durable of all the manufactured cases, so that's definitely a plus for those that are rough on their phones and need something in that respect.
  22. drexappeal

The dock showed up for premier customers on the same day as the early release?

If that's the case, I might order motorola specific accessories directly through Sprint, since there's also that premier discount on accessories (might be cheaper overall than anywhere else).
  23. tbhausen

tbhausen Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the same HDMI cable that works for the EVO 4G will work with the Photon 4G? Thanks.