1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

***Official Photon 4G Accessories Discussion Thread***Tips

1. busted bones

busted bones Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see if the Bionic turns out to be the Verizon version of the P4G. And we still havent seen if any of the other Atrix accessories are usable with the P4G.
  2. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

I saw that some of the blogs and articles are talking about that. They mentioned at the June 9 event that the Photon would have accessories made specific for the Photon and wouldn't be compatible with the Atrix accessories due to design differences.
  3. drexappeal

I'm pretty sure it should work, but not 100% positive. I gave mine to my cousin because I ended up getting the EVO 4G hdmi dock...ugh.
  4. Bandage

Bandage Well-Known Member

Wonder if the current Laptop Dock thingie for the Atrix could be modified for the Photon to fit & work with? Hmmm...might have to take a stab at that.

Seems the ports were reversed on the photon...so should be a simple matter of doing the same to the dock on the laptop.

EDIT: OR...what about using extension cables (micro usb & mini hdmi) to connect the Photon to the Laptop Dock???
  5. John Kotches

John Kotches Active Member

This would be a terribly inelegant hack.
  6. Bandage

Bandage Well-Known Member

Oh truly...but handy if it worked.
  7. drexappeal

Since many of you may have your phones tomorrow or Saturday, I figured I'd take the time to organize this accessories thread a little, so I edited my first post to put in categories for different accessories that you can already purchase.

If you guys find any accessories that you want to share and add to my first post, pm me the link and I'll be happy to add it to the top post:

http://androidforums.com/2825898-post1.html
    Bandage likes this.
  8. McLogan

McLogan Active Member

I have been doing some research on the "micro" HDMI video and "micro" usb cables. There are several sizes or "types" of each of these cables. For the Photon 4G (and the Atrix, and EVO 4G but not the EVO 3d) the cables you need are as follows:

For the HDMI cable you need a "standard" type "A" connect to a "micro" type "D" HDMI connector.

For the USB cable you Need a standard usb to a "micro" usb type "B" connector. (not sure what they call the standard rectangular usb connector).

These cables vary WIDELY in cost. In stores they often want $40 for the Micro hdmi cable. They have them for under $7 with shipping on amazon and Walmart online (not in-store though).

Hope this helps. Please correct me if I am wrong.
  9. drexappeal

1st post in this thread has the proper HDMI cable, per Sprint's accessories page for the Photon. Type D >Type A is what it says
  10. McLogan

McLogan Active Member

Some Basic Cheap silicon skins here on Amazon.

AccessoriesGuyStore @ Amazon.com: photon

I ordered one for 7.50 with shipping. He may be raising his prices though. I figured this will help until I decide on a fancier case I have had one like this on my Hero for about 18 months. I will report what I think when I get it next week.

Edit 8/1/11 Recieved the basic skin today. Fits well, and does seem to protect well. Will collect lint, but hey it is 5 bucks plus shipping. Does have a nice lip around the edge of the screen so it will not lay on the screen when face down. I will have to decide whether to stay with this or get an otterbox later, but I feel the Photon is much less prone to damage now.
  11. drexappeal

Adding that now. Thanks!
  12. horn34

horn34 Active Member

13. whttigress

whttigress Member

I recommend Monoprice.com for cables. They have the best prices, and I've never had any issues with the USB or HDMI Cables I've ordered from them. They have multiple lengths of both the USB and HDMI cables that fit the photon.
  14. horn34

horn34 Active Member

I normally order from monoprice, but the same cable from them is $6.87, 4-5 day shipped vs. $3.76, 2 day shipped (Prime) from amazon.
  15. whttigress

whttigress Member

I wish I had Prime, I just haven't been able to justify the cost to myself yet. I last ordered from Amazon on the 11th, got the first box on the 21st and finally got the last box yesterday, so 4-5 days is sounding pretty good to me right now. :)
  16. donniegood

donniegood Well-Known Member

I ordered a skinomi sp on the 13th and still didn't get it
  17. horn34

horn34 Active Member

You can split Prime between 5 people, only $16 per
  18. whttigress

whttigress Member

Yeah their super saver shipping is so slow I feel like I'm being blackmailed into getting prime.... and it just doesn't sit well with me.
  19. donniegood

donniegood Well-Known Member

I have prime it just wasn't a prime shipping they refunded me
  20. drexappeal

FYI - The Photon was taken down in the accessories area on Sprint's website, so maybe they were selling more than they thought?
  21. Glod

Glod Active Member

well otterbox cases are in stock direct from the manufacturer but 35$+ship for the commuter is too much for me; im waiting till amazon has them in stock for 25$ or cheaper. amazon still saying 1-2 months for delivery which is usual for a placeholder.

Motorola Photon 4G Cases // OtterBox.com
  22. whatsitsname

whatsitsname Well-Known Member

23. snowcrash

snowcrash Well-Known Member

don't panic...the box for the dock says a 129 dollar value...so perhaps they are selling it for 100...which is still pretty high for what it is. That said I haven't had a phone with a dock for ages...this one would be great as a clock radio alarm clock.
    drexappeal likes this.
  24. Godfather13

Godfather13 Well-Known Member

Amazon is showing that hdmi cable for $0.77 cents. Can that even be right?
  25. drexappeal

No Amazon prime shipping offered. Shipping bumps up the costs.