• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Photon 4G Accessories Discussion Thread***

It will be interesting to see if the Bionic turns out to be the Verizon version of the P4G. And we still havent seen if any of the other Atrix accessories are usable with the P4G.

I saw that some of the blogs and articles are talking about that. They mentioned at the June 9 event that the Photon would have accessories made specific for the Photon and wouldn't be compatible with the Atrix accessories due to design differences.

Upvote 0
Wonder if the current Laptop Dock thingie for the Atrix could be modified for the Photon to fit & work with? Hmmm...might have to take a stab at that.

Seems the ports were reversed on the photon...so should be a simple matter of doing the same to the dock on the laptop.

EDIT: OR...what about using extension cables (micro usb & mini hdmi) to connect the Photon to the Laptop Dock???

Upvote 0
Since many of you may have your phones tomorrow or Saturday, I figured I'd take the time to organize this accessories thread a little, so I edited my first post to put in categories for different accessories that you can already purchase.

If you guys find any accessories that you want to share and add to my first post, pm me the link and I'll be happy to add it to the top post:

http://androidforums.com/2825898-post1.html

Reactions: Bandage
Upvote 0
I have been doing some research on the "micro" HDMI video and "micro" usb cables. There are several sizes or "types" of each of these cables. For the Photon 4G (and the Atrix, and EVO 4G but not the EVO 3d) the cables you need are as follows:

For the HDMI cable you need a "standard" type "A" connect to a "micro" type "D" HDMI connector.

For the USB cable you Need a standard usb to a "micro" usb type "B" connector. (not sure what they call the standard rectangular usb connector).

These cables vary WIDELY in cost. In stores they often want $40 for the Micro hdmi cable. They have them for under $7 with shipping on amazon and Walmart online (not in-store though).

Hope this helps. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Upvote 0
I have been doing some research on the "micro" HDMI video and "micro" usb cables. There are several sizes or "types" of each of these cables. For the Photon 4G (and the Atrix, and EVO 4G but not the EVO 3d) the cables you need are as follows:

For the HDMI cable you need a "standard" type "A" connect to a "micro" type "D" HDMI connector.

For the USB cable you Need a standard usb to a "micro" usb type "B" connector. (not sure what they call the standard rectangular usb connector).

These cables vary WIDELY in cost. In stores they often want $40 for the Micro hdmi cable. They have them for under $7 with shipping on amazon and Walmart online (not in-store though).

Hope this helps. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1st post in this thread has the proper HDMI cable, per Sprint's accessories page for the Photon. Type D >Type A is what it says

Upvote 0
Some Basic Cheap silicon skins here on Amazon.

AccessoriesGuyStore @ Amazon.com: photon

I ordered one for 7.50 with shipping. He may be raising his prices though. I figured this will help until I decide on a fancier case I have had one like this on my Hero for about 18 months. I will report what I think when I get it next week.

Edit 8/1/11 Recieved the basic skin today. Fits well, and does seem to protect well. Will collect lint, but hey it is 5 bucks plus shipping. Does have a nice lip around the edge of the screen so it will not lay on the screen when face down. I will have to decide whether to stay with this or get an otterbox later, but I feel the Photon is much less prone to damage now.

Upvote 0
Some Basic Cheap silicon skins here on Amazon.

AccessoriesGuyStore @ Amazon.com: photon

I ordered one for 7.50 with shipping. He may be raising his prices though. I figured this will help until I decide on a fancier case I have had one like this on my Hero for about 18 months. I will report what I think when I get it next week.

Adding that now. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I recommend Monoprice.com for cables. They have the best prices, and I've never had any issues with the USB or HDMI Cables I've ordered from them. They have multiple lengths of both the USB and HDMI cables that fit the photon.
I normally order from monoprice, but the same cable from them is $6.87, 4-5 day shipped vs. $3.76, 2 day shipped (Prime) from amazon.

Upvote 0
Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones