• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Photon 4G Accessories Discussion Thread***

I've seen a lot of complaints from people on the smudge-free one - it has an bumpy, orange-peel kinda surface, not smooth to use, and tends to cause visual distortion for those sensitive to it (and from what I've read around the forums here, that's a lot of folks).

I use the plain Zagg Invisishield on both of our phones - we really like them.

They really are gummy for the first 24 hours, and you will see some bubbling underneath - but it's true that goes away quickly.

For best results, use a light touch - I find I can actually touch lighter with an Invisishield than I do on naked glass - and when used that way, there's no additional drag under your finger - mostly, it's less.

Upvote 0
I ordered a nice leather case with spring and swivel clips from Ebay for $10. It fits the phone like a glove. I just ordered a home & car charger with a usb cable for $11 from Ebay.

I'm a little cautious of ordering leather phone cases from ebay. I bought what appeared to be a really nice leather case for my Hero (in fact the over quality of the workmanship was very good), but after a few days I noticed that the dye from the leather was rubbing off on the gray case of my Hero and was staining it. At that point it was too late to do anything about it. My phone still has these black "splotches" on it two years later.

Upvote 0
I've seen a lot of complaints from people on the smudge-free one - it has an bumpy, orange-peel kinda surface, not smooth to use, and tends to cause visual distortion for those sensitive to it (and from what I've read around the forums here, that's a lot of folks).

I use the plain Zagg Invisishield on both of our phones - we really like them.

They really are gummy for the first 24 hours, and you will see some bubbling underneath - but it's true that goes away quickly.

For best results, use a light touch - I find I can actually touch lighter with an Invisishield than I do on naked glass - and when used that way, there's no additional drag under your finger - mostly, it's less.

I've had the opposite experience with Zagg. It felt ok to start, but once it cured it felt really rubbery and I experienced significant drag when swiping. Also had a very apparent "orange peel" texture.

This was back with my Pre, so maybe they've improved the material since then.

Upvote 0
I've had the opposite experience with Zagg. It felt ok to start, but once it cured it felt really rubbery and I experienced significant drag when swiping. Also had a very apparent "orange peel" texture.

This was back with my Pre, so maybe they've improved the material since then.

They haven't changed that at all. In fact, they even have a disclaimer on the website that describes it as part of the technology for anti-glare:

Nano-Memory Technology
The authentic invisibleSHIELD film features Nano-Memory technology, which is visible as a very subtle texture in the surface of the film. This superior component of the invisibleSHIELD offers four main competitive benefits:
Durability - Self-healing properties offer unbelievable resistance to scratches and damage, and will extend the life of your device
Coverage - Greater pliability and flexibility allows the invisibleSHIELD designs to cover the corners and curves of your device better than the competition.
Ease of Install - The improved pliability also facilitates easier installation
Drop Resistant - Improved grip makes it easier to hang onto your expensive gadgets
Glare Reduction - The invisibleSHIELD gives your device a slight "orange peel" finish that breaks up glare and reduces finger print smudges, while still creating high resolution screen viewing clarity.

Upvote 0
Okay found what I was looking for - Droid wallet! This list as for the Droid 3 but my girlfriend has a Droid 3 and it is the same size as the MoPho and this is the same type of wallet I have for my old Samsung Moment except, at least according to the seller's description, is bigger to fit the Droid.

Sent the seller a question asking for confirmation this has actually been made to fit the Droid 3 and I will update this when I get an answer. Yippee!

And I can confirm it ain't 'real' leather but you know what, I owned two for two different phones over the past five years from the same seller and neither fell apart. Yeah the first one, which I had the longest showed signs of distress and probably only cuz I was always exposing it to rain and other inclement weather but they stayed together and held my phone, credit cards, some cash and a D.L.

Just my opinions based on ownership :)

Upvote 0
I got my skinomi carbon fiber package installed and took a few pictures here at work. I'll post them when I get back home today.

Initial impressesion is great. It turned out better then I expected and am pleased with the product.

Why wait till you get home? Just take off the back cover, hold the battery in place, activate the camera and snap a few shots. :D

Then all you'll need to do is just put the battery cover back on and share...hehe.

Glad to know it looks good. I hesitated on getting it, just because I'm holding out hope that either skinit or unique skins will have a custom one available soon.

Upvote 0
I got my skinomi carbon fiber package installed and took a few pictures here at work. I'll post them when I get back home today.

Initial impressesion is great. It turned out better then I expected and am pleased with the product.

I'm very curious to see the pics. :)
I've been thinking about ordering one but I don't want it to look like plastic on my phone like the InvisibleShield full body cover did. I like the InvisibleShield screen protector but the full body cover was a fail.
If I'm understanding correctly, the Skinomi is supposed to protect the phone from bumps, scrapes & scratches like a screen protector does....right?

Upvote 0
img20110810120041.jpg

img20110810120030x.jpg

My boss let me borrow her computer for a second. I'll post more pictures later tonight :D

well one more :p

img20110810120024.jpg

Upvote 0
I like the look of that. My only question is how sticky is the application? Im worried the ends and corners will start pealing up evenually which will then get snagged over time pulling it out of your pocket, etc. Maybe Im worrying too much.

I got a few cases from Amazon. Ill post pics and a quick review when I get home.
It's not very sticky when you put it on initially the adheasive (sp?) is heat activated. I used a blow dryer to apply it. It doesn't seem like it will come off easily but I've just put it on there.... They have lifetime warranties on the product so if it comes off I'll just warranty it.

Upvote 0
I put the OtterBox Defender on mine yesterday and it's fantastic. I'm really picky about cases, but I don't think there's much not to love with this one. I'll write more specifics later--for now I'll just say "run, don't walk..."

I want a holster type like I used to have for my Treo (did get used to the BB drop in holster last two years). The defender on Amazon had only two reviews and they both had concerns. Any more updates now that you have had it for a few days? Is it the best choice?

Upvote 0
Ok here are my 3 accessories. First off, they are all came from Amazon. The car charger is a Motorola one and works perfect. Charges phone extremely fast and was under $5, cant beat that.

There are 2 cases. One is a glossy black rubbery type plastic and one is a soft rubber case. Both are designed the same in that they fit right around the MoPho perfectly and all the proper holes are there for plug in cables, camera lens, etc. However both cases are solid where the power button is and where the volume buttons are. They have a raised area to press where the vol and power are and it works perfectly fine. Its great actually cause you cant accidently hit it, your really have to press it on or vol up/down.

Ive used both cases a day or so and I like the glossy black one (argyle inside) the best. It fits absolutely perfect and its more snug then then soft rubber one. Feels solid in the hand and doesnt add bulk to the phone. Phone feels just as good in my pocket with this case on. Only complaint is the case does leave finger prints where as the soft case doesnt. But the soft case feels to slick in your hand like its going to slip out. I just dont like it. Not much of a sturdy feel to it.

If you have any questions about these just ask.

Attachments

• Motorola Photon 036.JPG
    Motorola Photon 036.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Motorola Photon 037.JPG
    Motorola Photon 037.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Motorola Photon 038.JPG
    Motorola Photon 038.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Motorola Photon 042.JPG
    Motorola Photon 042.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Motorola Photon 043.JPG
    Motorola Photon 043.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Motorola Photon 045.JPG
    Motorola Photon 045.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Motorola Photon 046.JPG
    Motorola Photon 046.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 109
  • Motorola Photon 047.JPG
    Motorola Photon 047.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Motorola Photon 048.JPG
    Motorola Photon 048.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Motorola Photon 050.JPG
    Motorola Photon 050.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones