Official: Samsung Epic Made with Gorilla Glass

Last Updated:

1. it.

it. Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

"Corning today announced that its Gorilla Glass -- an ultra durable alkali-aluminosilicate that can withstand the most uber of scratches

Advertisement
  2. tazcollins

tazcollins Well-Known Member

Can dust get under this screen like on the Hero and Evo? TC

3. gme109

gme109 Well-Known Member

4. YaBoiD

YaBoiD Well-Known Member

So no need for a screen protector then...! :D

5. jersey221

jersey221 Well-Known Member

this is great news and i thought it was just glass how come they didnt announce this before?

and will it feel like glass or will it feel like plastic?

just wondering if its ACTUAL glass?

6. DILands

DILands Well-Known Member Contributor

Gorilla

7. ConceptVBS

ConceptVBS Well-Known Member

We still dont know whether this is on the Epic 4G. Notice the press release just says Samsung Galaxy S. Although the Epic is in the same family, it isnt THE Galaxy S.

Until we hear from official channels, we should take this press release with a grain of salt and just hope for the best.

The best way to find out? Anybody care to lend me their future Epic 4G? I'll gladly whip out my sharp keys and do a scratch test on it! :D

8. iboombastic

iboombastic Well-Known Member

Galaxy S is the brand name for the whole series. The EPIC 4G is a Galaxy S device, it has the same Super AMOLEED display and Gorilla Glass.

9. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

We are talking about Samsung, not HTC, so that would be a no. Dust under the glass was the main reason I returned my Hero, I have yet to have a Samsung that had that kind of quality oversight, and I have had 6 Samsung phones over the years (E360, R510 Wafer, Muse, M520, Instinct and Moment)

tazcollins likes this.
  10. SebastianX

SebastianX Well-Known Member

As to the guy who asked if dust would get under the screen:

The type of glass the Evo and the Hero has isn't a factor in getting dust under the screen. HTC's shitty engineering is, the problem is their quality control issues, HTC has forever had horrible quality control issues.

For the guy who said at least I won't need a screen protector:

I'd hate to be you if you dropped it, Gorilla glass is made to withstand scratches and bumps but NOT drops. In fact Gorilla glass is quite brittle so dropping it from 3ft down or more depending on the fall you might end up with a shattered touch screen, get a case at least.

11. Nucleartx

Nucleartx Well-Known Member

My hero has been naked(case though) for 9 months now and no scratches. The early version of the galaxy s appeared not to have gorilla glass. This is based off the original scratch test done in korea. A razor blade wouldn't do that to gorilla glass.

Edit: And my Hero got dust under the screen less than 3 days after I got it and it ticked me off. My old 8310 BB did the same crap.

12. gme109

gme109 Well-Known Member

Don't think a screen protector will do much for protecting the screen from a 3' drop. It's for protecting the screen from scratches. I do plan on using some sort of hard rubberized case, which will protect the phone if it lands flat. Of course if the phone lands screen down, on an on even surface, the glass will probably break.

13. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member

gorilla glass is good against scratches but it'll still crack if you drop it though?

14. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

About the same as thicker normal glass, yes.

You have to remember Gorilla Glass is used in thinner sheets than normal glass, as such even with the more resiliant properties, it is still prone to shattering. Now if it were used in thicker sheets such as normal glass screens, it may in fact be less prone to shattering. But that would defeat the purpose of thinner glass on Super AMOLED screens.

15. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

ooo awesome

16. YaBoiD

YaBoiD Well-Known Member

17. TheAndroidWorks

TheAndroidWorks Well-Known Member

wow, that video was hard to watch. I wish they had some english subtitles, because I am curious to hear what he had to say when he dropped it!

18. bsted4g

bsted4g New Member

I can confirm 100% that the screen is not at shatter resistant. I dropped the phone for the first time on my driveway from hip level and it completely shattered. The amazing part is that the touchscreen still works and the phone is 100% operational. I guess it is time for a replacement phone and a body protector. Does anyone have one that they recommend?

19. Flaspeneer

Flaspeneer Well-Known Member

20. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

All I know is that the glass on this screen is very resistant to finger prints and smudges. Its so much more quality than my iphone and samsung moment screen in this regard. Can I get a witness?

21. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

22. sixty4

sixty4 Active Member

23. mikepfly2

mikepfly2 Member

Did we confirm the US models are gorilla glass? if so and you get a small scratch is that a warranty item? I've been treating my phone like a baby and pulled it out of my soft case only to notice a very small scratch. I run my fingernail over it and its definitely a scratch.

Anything I can do or am I just stuck?

-Bummed

24. ImNotYourGirlfriend

ImNotYourGirlfriend Member

I'll testify to Gorilla Glass...

When I found out my ex was cheating, I took his Motorola Droid and chucked it across traffic. Not only did the screen NOT shattered or scratch, the phone remained completely intact. The only damage was some scratches on the casing of the phone. So praises to Gorilla Glass, I was really hoping to do some serious damage to that phone.

25. ImNotYourGirlfriend

ImNotYourGirlfriend Member

This is where being a female is a great advantage, since I keep my phone stored in my cleavage/bra... Haha. :D