• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[OFFICIAL SOLUTION FAQ] Having trouble with your EVO 3D? Click here!

That's a fairly uncommon problem. Go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > and make sure Stay Awake is unchecked. If that is unchecked, try hard resetting it. If that fails, take it back and show them that your device does not turn off the screen.

It's not that the device does not turn off the screen, but rather when I go into my battery menu under Settings... it shows that my awake time is identical to my up time, meaning that my phone is not sleeping. I feel like this causes my battery to drain a lot faster as I am not getting anywhere near the 10+ hours that most people are claiming. I've done a hard reset twice already, and the problem still persists.

Upvote 0
Try dialing *2 -- you should see a Yellow bar with "Diagnostics" - and below that Power Configuration - it may give some indications - apologies if this has been tried.

Also - let's have you download https://market.android.com/details?id=ccc71.pmw

Please do NOT use it to kill any processes.

Tap the top bar for CPU - it's difficult to get to, but can be done. Ignore the bar showing n/a - that's frequency and not implemented for our dual-core yet. Below that is the true up-time and deep-sleep. Please share what you find.

Watch the process list for a while - see first off what is showing at the top of your used CPU percentages. (lower button on left to configure for that)

Please report which apps - while your phone is otherwise idling - are running over 0%

Upvote 0
It just says 00.00s for Rosie Utility, which is the only thing showing up. I just got back from the Sprint store. I was trying to get a replacement, but they wanted to run a test before deciding to replace it, and they were about to close so they told me to go back in the morning. While I was in there, I noticed that both of their demo units also showed matching awake and up times.

Upvote 0
First, stop using the task killer. Android has a pretty good task killer installed and task killers can destabilize your phone if they kill an app that the system needs. The Android task killer knows better than to kill these apps. Lots of apps loaded in the background memory is fine as long as they are not taking CPU cycles. Android will kill apps as it needs memory, and it kills apps in order of least used apps, first. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about the stupid spiderman game loading (without rooting and I wouldn't suggest a brand new Android user dive into that just yet).

So, uninstall the task killer, reboot, and try doing using the phone like you have been. If it keeps doing the screen blank out thing, have Sprint repair store check out the phone. And make sure it's a Sprint store with repair capabilities. Go to sprint.com, find a store near you, filter for repair centers, and only go to ones that say "Sprint Store" instead of "Sprint via so-and-so" because the so-and-so's suck and will likely give you the run around.

Awesome, thanks. The android task killer is just the task manager right? or is there another? and one last thing...any advice about a virus protector?

Upvote 0
Well I went to the Sprint store this morning and got a replacement... This new one does not have the wake lock issue. However, the speaker on this one is significantly quieter than the one on my last one. On my first one, I could watch videos or listen to music at half volume and hear it well enough to enjoy it, but on this one, I have a hard time hearing it even at full volume. Also, any time after it plays a sound, I can hear the speaker kind of buzzing and then give off a little pop a few seconds later. Should I go get it replaced again?

Upvote 0
Well I got it replaced again, and I'm glad I did. I'm now on my 3rd, and this one has none of the issues that the first two had. It sleeps properly and the speaker is nice and loud. The screen colors also appear to be cooler than the first two I had, but it might just be my imagination. The guy at the store was like, "Unfortunately this is the last time I can do an exchange for you, so let's hope this one is good." I was thinking, "Uh hell no it's not if I get another defective phone."

Anyways, thank you for all of your help, EarlyMon. Although it seems like it came down to being a hardware issue both times, I really appreciate your help and input.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Awesome, thanks. The android task killer is just the task manager right? or is there another? and one last thing...any advice about a virus protector?

I don't recommend any antivirus. At the top of the faq there is a link that describes android malware. Read that, it will protect you more than a antivirus will. I used to use lookout, but it never found anything because I followed my gut and read that thread on malware.

Also, I won't be able to edit the faq for a day or so, my computer is down and I've been too busy to fix it. And there I no way I'm editing it on my phone.

Upvote 0
Ok, there is something that happened for the first time today, and it caused me to notice something else.

I went to take a picture of a new elliptical I'm thinking of getting, and the screen showed a green grid over the picture. I terminated the camera app with the Task Manager and restarted it with the green grid still in effect.

So, I pulled the battery and re-started the phone. This time, the screen wouldn't respond to any touches on the screen. There was no movement of the ring telling me to pull up, the icons wouldn't respond and the ring wouldn't budge.

I ended up pulling the battery three times and repeating the above until it finally started responding. If anyone has any input as to why it might do this or how to prevent in the future, please let me know.

However, that isn't what is bugging me. During all of this, I was looking at the screen very closely. It looked odd. Then, I finally nailed it down. It looks like the screen is now tilted. There is roughly a mm gap from the edge of the screen in the top left corner and a corresponding one on the bottom right. It appears, at some point, the screen itself has moved. Does anyone else have this issue or maybe a method to reposition it? I am looking at taking it in sometime this week to have my local store look at it.

Upvote 0
Screen and touchscreen have decoupled somehow?

I hope not, but that sounds possible given what I see now and the touch failure. I tapped the phone a couple times, but no more shifting as of yet. I'll mention it to the folks in store when I get a chance to take it in, probably when the store re-opens Tuesday.

Thanks, Early. Have you heard of this happening before? I didn't see anything in searches earlier, but I'll try some other terminology and see if something pops up.

Upvote 0
anyone got a fix for the volume situation as far as making notifications and ringers louder?

First, go to Menu (button) > Settings > Sound and tap on Volume. Make sure everything is up. If it is, or the settings are still not loud enough for you, ry Equalizer and pick a preset that cranks them all, or at least one that cranks most of them. I use the Rock preset. Make sure the virtualizer is on, too. My phone has been a bit louder since installing this. Ringtones/notifications on the Evo 3D are MP3 files and are played through a music player, it seems. So the equalizer helps adjust the music player to better use the hardware.

I now have my notification setting at half and can hear it fine.

Upvote 0
Long press a free home screen spot, go to Shortcut, that's where bookmark is. I have no idea what you mean by Google Frame. If it's a widget, you just add it by long pressing a free space, selecting widget, and finding the widget in the list (unless it's a HTC widget, which means you have to select the top option and go through the plethora of HTC Widgets). If it's an app, find the app in the app drawer and drag it from the app drawer to an open space on a home screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones