Official unboxing/preview/review thread - post your finds here

1. emuneee

emuneee Well-Known Member

Widget Walkthrough

YouTube - Touchwiz 3.0 walkthrough with the Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S)

TouchWiz 3 is fantastic because it consists of some widgets, different (better IMO) color scheme, WiFi/BT/Silent/Vibrate switcher in notifications, and the launcher. The best part about the launcher? It can be replaced. :D

I'm not a fan of "heavy" UI overlays (ie. HTC Sense) at all. I think TouchWiz does enough without doing too much.
    Ynomrah and t-readyroc like this.
  2. subie41ife

subie41ife Well-Known Member

Awesome...can't wait!!!
  3. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

So, in that widget tour, he brought up an app called "Home Switch." Is that something you need to install along w/LauncherPro/ADW in order to be able to switch between TWLauncher & the others or is that something that's pre-installed? I really appreciated that run-through. Answered a bunch of questions.
  4. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

^^ I too would like to know...
  5. emuneee

emuneee Well-Known Member

I believe Home Switch is something you'll have to install from the Android Market. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
  6. macshield

macshield Active Member

I can't wait to get my hands on this. Does anyone know if it has visual voicemail?
  7. Blackforge

Blackforge Well-Known Member

With a Google Voice account you get visual voicemail.
  8. macshield

macshield Active Member

So it that the only way? I was hoping it had visual voicemail on the phone.
  9. Eazail70x7

I'm pretty sure all android phones have visual voice mail...? At least all of Sprint's androids do. Matter fact, on one of the unboxings up top someone entered visual voice mail app. I think it was the phonedog unboxing but am not sure...
  10. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

Why do they put the charging jack on the top? Terrible design. In a car you have cables flopping out the top like a tree and hanging down the sides. The logical place for a charging jack is on the bottom. This pretty much eliminates any true cradles (without having wire dongles hanging off them). Dumb. There is always a "gotcha" of some kind with all these new devices that just makes you scratch your head and wonder what they were thinking.
  11. Blackforge

Blackforge Well-Known Member

Even if Google Voice is the only way (which I am unsure of), what is wrong with it? It is native to Android and after using it on a Nexus One for a little bit, very comparable to visual voicemail on the iPhone.

In either case its just an application streaming a sound file from a server.
  12. Eazail70x7

^^^

Visual voice mail and google voice are 2 completely different apps. Visual voice mail deals only with your voice mails and is on all androids with no signing up or anything required. Its right in the app drawer. Just click into it to check your voice messages.

I've never used google voice.
  13. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Ugh, you're right. I noticed the jack on top but the ramifications didn't register until you mentioned it.

Boneheaded. Stupid stupid stupid. ARGH.
  14. KMA

KMA Well-Known Member

If I get a car mount for this phone, I'm planning on it being positioned sideways (landscape) for better navigation. Isn't that the default/typical orientation for "car dock" mode anyway? If so, the cabling would come out the side and not the top. Still not sure it's the best place to put the port, but not the end of the world for me.
  15. t-readyroc

^^ what he said. Landscape. Laaaaaaaaaandscaaaaaaaaaaaape.
  16. HyperM3

HyperM3 Well-Known Member

17. t-readyroc

That vid's on the last page of the review, which I've already included.
  18. HyperM3

HyperM3 Well-Known Member

Damn, I suck at this game.
  19. Jofaba

Jofaba Well-Known Member

Dammit! I was almost entirely sold on keeping my Aria and trying to be a responsible adult until I watched some of these reviews. No I am not so sure... I'm starting to dig it. And after seeing a few different hands on videos, the look of it is starting to grow on me as well. It'll have to sell itself to me in person, but I've gone from 75% happy keeping my Aria to probably 60%...
  20. t-readyroc

In the AndroidCentral hands-on video, the guy says that the battery cover's actually part of the antenna (8:12). That would explain why they made it metal...