• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Official Unrevoked Developers have Froyo on EVO

Wait.. you had it as update.zip and it didn't work, and then you renamed it update (no suffix) and it worked?

And when it says "Up button while booting" - I assume they mean the up volume button?

EdIT: I see about volume up.

Hotel downloading at 24kbs FTW! :\

That's ok - let you guys figure shiznit out first :p

Upvote 0
i put update.zip and then it wouldnt recognize it ... just rename it update and the it should work ..

Be VERY careful and VERY sure that you do not have your Windows file browser set to hide file extensions.

Otherwise, you'll name it update.zip.zip and not know it.

The correct file name is update.zip - do not deviate.

Verify it with your built-in Evo file browser, such as ASTRO File Manager, free from the market. Looking with ASTRO, it should be directly inside the folder /sdcard - nowhere else.

Upvote 0
Okay I'm rooted. Or I should say I *was* rooted.

Turned off my phone.

Held volume down and the power button.

Selected recovery

Did nandroid backup

DID NOT WIPE PHONE

Selected update from SD card. I didn't change name.

It filled a status bar and rebooted.

Got a box thing with an arrow and the little green guy for a few minutes where I was worried but it rebooted

got a phone with red triangle for a few minutes but it rebooted.

Finally booted for real and got an HTC indicator with a percentage that slowly counted up to 100%

it told me grats upgrade was done. All my old stuff is still there and phone is working perfectly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones