• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Official] Version 2 battery life thread

I easily get a full day. My day is similar to Clementine's.. 7am to 11pm and I'm typically at 40-50% remaining at the end of the day. I'd call myself a moderate to heavy user.

Battery life was initially an issue but has improved pretty substantially with each update. Two things that will radically impact battery life, first is the watch face you use. Second is doing a lot of installing/uninstalling. But once you've settled in with the apps you want installed it should be clear sailing.

I have ambient mode off all the time. Honestly, even if it didn't drain the battery I don't like it that much. I don't mind doing the wrist flick to get it to turn on.

Upvote 0
So I am not seeing quite as good of battery life as I expected from the larger size of the battery as well as Outatime's reports. That said I am getting good battery life, off charge at 6:30 am and when I go to bed at 10 I have about 30-40% left depending on how busy it is with notifications.

I don't use always on but I think my watch face might be slightly aggressive with battery since it tracks almost everything.

I am very pleased with the battery time, just wanted it out there that it might not last everyone 2 days w/o a sit on the dock. (of the bay?)

That is all, you may go back to your previous activities.

You're still here?

Seriously, that's all .... go home.

ferris.jpg

Upvote 0
Honestly, if its anything it's that I wear it on my left arm, I dial with my left hand (work on the phone all day) and its more attentive to my movements than the MK1. It lights up more during the day than most people's would due to this.

I want to stress that I am impressed and not complaining in the slightest. It went from 5:30 am yesterday to after 11pm on a heavy day of use. Still had 19% when I hit the sack. So its better than the MK1 to be sure.

Upvote 0
I have had a 2015 360 42mm for almost two weeks. I have been discussing problems with it draining the battery fast a few times on the motorola forum. https://forums.motorola.com/posts/d76374104b?commentId=996378#996378
But the question here is about how the battery lasts all the days it is working OK.
I would get about 17 hours to 0-10%. It is light use all day. Just notifications for meetings, texts, etc.
In reading the thread, it seems that other people are getting more. But are they they 46 or the 42mm?
When I get my replacement, I'll see how it does.
I just wonder if a 46mm would be better for me.
I am worried that if I can barely get a day on it today, what will happen in two years when the battery is old.

Upvote 0
the 46 mm has a bigger battery so longer life in theory.

there are many reasons as to why one's device will last less than another and that is too much to discuss.

the only way to accurately find out what is causing YOUR particular drain is to check your battery stats and see what service or app is requesting so much power.

some watch faces are better than others, so also try to use standard moto installed watch faces and see if that makes a difference on battery. if not, move on to the apps that are showing high usage.

for example, if a watch face has a sweeping second hand (the watchface i use has this) that eats up a lot of cpu cycles over one with a quartz style or with no second hand.

also if you have a gps app or weather app on the face, those needs to call out through the phone (using BT) to get to the internet to update that. this also eats up more battery than a face that does not use that.

there is no one magic bullet to fix everything and one must take this into account.

Reactions: shalemail
Upvote 0
After changing to a "less aggressive" watch face, my MK2 will last from 6 Am to 10 Pm and still have 60% or more remaining on battery. Crazy battery life. After updating my N6 to 6.0 I am routinely making it through the same day with 40% or more on the clock. It's all about what you're using and how you're using it. ;)

Currently sitting at 85% on 360 and 78% on N6.

Upvote 0
With my watch only on when I tap it, I easily get a full day on the 42mm version. I use the Pujie watch (or whatever it's called) and a simple digital time with power, date and weather working. I'm easily at 50-70% after a full day unless I have the notifications on and there is a barrage of them, which may take it to 50% or slightly less. It's much better than I thought. With twist to turn on I still can get a full day.

Reactions: Outatime
Upvote 0
Anyone else hating the latest wear update? (11/9/15)

Since that update Bluetooth has been a major battery drain on the N6 and the watch. :(

Still able to make it through a day on both but the margin is much closer on the N6 (down to 15-25% or so by bed time as opposed to 30-40% or more) the MK2 is down to 30-40% instead of over 50%.

I hate when they jack with stuff only to cause side effects.

Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0
Well that's a first... I just looked down at my watch and it was at 35%. 7:00 AM to about 2:05. Something must have gotten stuck. I reboot it and threw it on my extra charger. Should probably reboot my phone too....

That's funny because just this morning I was thinking I could make a watch face without the battery because it's almost become irrelevant. I'm always 50-60% by the end of the day.

As far as any extra load on my N6 after the update, I haven't really noticed anything. But I've been kind of flash happy on that recently.

Upvote 0
Update on my battery life.
I had the 42mm that had the battery die quickly a few times. I exchanged for a new one at best buy to be sure it was not hardware while I could return it. I found it had the same general life of getting to 0-20% by the end of the day. Worried about that, I exchanged it for a 46mm. It's really not that much bigger once you wear it for a while.
I have now had this one 3 weeks.
I love it. I can get thru 18 hours with 35-50% left. Even when I use Strava on my bike ride for an hour that uses up a good 10%.
I don't have to worry about extra use during the day and wonder about what it will be like in 2 years when the battery gives some up.
I did have one day that I saw the battery dropping fast in the first few hours. I restarted it and it was fine. I am not sure what sw did it. I looked at the battery info in the app and there was no clues.
I'll continue to monitor.

Upvote 0
Afternoon All,

I've had a 2nd gen 360 for a couple of months now. Generally, the battery's been fine, but two days in the last week it's died on me by 4pm, 9 hours or so after taking it off charge (when it was 100%). I recently discovered that I can see battery stats from the Wear app on my phone (although the percentages never seem to add up to 100!). However, I currently have a 360 on my wrist which is dead. When I set it down to recharge, the current stats are going to get wiped (I think), and I'll be none the wiser as to what caused the issue today.

Does anyone know how I might retrospectively see the stats for before it died?

Cheers,
Al.

Upvote 0
Of course, if you check your phone a.w. App before you start charging..it may have a recent update of stats from the watch before it went dead.

Other than that, I don't think there is any way accessible to users.

I can't get battery stats for the phone when it's dead, though. Soon as I put it on the charger, it resets. While I'm on here, can someone explain to me the battery stats display? Apparently, my watch battery is at 91%, so far usage is Watch Idle = 2% and screen = 1%. That doesn't make sense. I'd expect the usage to add up to 100%..

D5ceog

Supposed to be a screenshot there, doesn't seem to work :-(

Upvote 0
While I'm on here, can someone explain to me the battery stats display? Apparently, my watch battery is at 91%, so far usage is Watch Idle = 2% and screen = 1%. That doesn't make sense. I'd expect the usage to add up to 100%..
Yeah, I think the percent numbers represent usage as a fraction of total battery capacity, not as a fraction of used capacity. So it won't add up to 100% unless you let the battery drop to zero. If your battery is at 90% when you look at the stats, then the numbers would only add to 10%.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I think the percent numbers represent usage as a fraction of total battery capacity, not as a fraction of used capacity. So it won't add up to 100% unless you let the battery drop to zero. If your battery is at 90% when you look at the stats, then the numbers would only add to 10%.

That's not the case, either. Currently, I have 83% left, and the only uses listed are:

Watch Idle - 3%
Screen - 2%
Moto body - 1%

I can't see any way in which these numbers make any kind of sense!

Al.

Upvote 0
Well, if you watch any one of those % numbers as the watch discharges, you will see they
steadily go up as the watch battery discharges (they never go down) So it seems clear they are intended to represent app usage as a fraction of total capacity, not app usage as a fraction of total usage. So we don't ever expect them to add to 100.

Now let's say you are at 90%, then in a perfect world, we expect the numbers to add to 10%, but as you point out they add up less. There can be some errors at work:
1 - every app less than 1% is not even listed. So if you have 10 apps using half percent each and not reported, that's a total of 5% unaccounted for It's more of a noticeable error when the battery is near full then when near discharged.
2 - The % used by each app is only an estimate based on how much each app uses the resources (cpu, internet, gps, etc). These estimates are not exact. In contrast measurement of "actual" battery level at a point in time based on voltage etc is much more exact

Upvote 0
Well, if you watch any one of those % numbers as the watch discharges, you will see they
steadily go up as the watch battery discharges (they never go down) So it seems clear they are intended to represent app usage as a fraction of total capacity, not app usage as a fraction of total usage. So we don't ever expect them to add to 100.

Now let's say you are at 90%, then in a perfect world, we expect the numbers to add to 10%, but as you point out they add up less. There can be some errors at work:
1 - every app less than 1% is not even listed. So if you have 10 apps using half percent each and not reported, that's a total of 5% unaccounted for It's more of a noticeable error when the battery is near full then when near discharged.
2 - The % used by each app is only an estimate based on how much each app uses the resources (cpu, internet, gps, etc). These estimates are not exact. In contrast measurement of "actual" battery level at a point in time based on voltage etc is much more exact

I guess you must be right, its just a really big difference and doesn't really inspire faith in the numbers. Even if they put a 'catch all' entry for other apps to make it add up, I'd feel a little happier.

I'm now at 60% battery left, Watch idle has used 6%, screen 4%, moto body 2%. The discrepancy appears to get worse the more battery is used. Only ever see the same 3 entries as well..

Al.

Upvote 0
Anyone's battery life get insanely good over the past few weeks? I don't know what the heck happened. Since I bought it I've typically used about 50% during the day. Every night when I put it on the charger I was around 48% remaining. The past few weeks though? 89% remaining. I'm using 10% during the day. I made no changes. I can't figure out what happened, but I'll take it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones