• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*OFFICIAL* Xoom vs iPad 2 Discussions

I know Frenzy wrote a nice write up on his view of the ipad2 and xoom but this is what bothers me. Apple add 3 features.
1 thinner
2 cameras
3 dual core processor
To me this is not much,just another means to milk the consumers of their money. I don't see how this make it superior.(imo)

There are still a lot of people who don't own a tablet, and who might have been waiting on this generation of tablets to jump. Those aren't exactly minor changes you've mentioned, btw. :)

Upvote 0
I know Frenzy wrote a nice write up on his view of the ipad2 and xoom but this is what bothers me. Apple add 3 features.
1 thinner
2 cameras
3 dual core processor
To me this is not much,just another means to milk the consumers of their money. I don't see how this make it superior.(imo)

As long as the hardware is competitive its all about the operating system.

You're right, those features aren't "revolutionary". They're a mild bump up for the current champion. You need to remember that for 2010 Apple had what, 90% of the tablet market cornered? And they're predicted to hold 80% of that for 2011. (Forgive me if the numbers are off, I'm honestly pulling those from recent memory). In any case, when you're already on top, a minor bump up like the iPad2 is probably going to keep you there. Contrast that with the new competitor trying to break into the market. They need to go above and beyond to bring the "wow" factor which is going to be tough to do since Apple really set the expectations of what a tablet is and does. To break out of that mindset, the Android tablets are going to have to invent new uses for a tablet that the iPads don't bring to the table. That's innovation. And can't be understated. It's very necessary here. It can't just copy what the iPad already does cause it does it well. You have to bring something new to the game. Notifications and real multitasking are good. We need more, though.

Apple already lost 22% of the tablet market to G-Tablet and cheaper android tablets in 2010. If you add e-readers the spread is greater.

Here's the link for those who want it:

Apple Takes 73% Q4 Tablet Share, Says IDC; E-Readers Surge - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

Upvote 0
I didn't think they lost quite that much in q4. That's definitely interesting. More interesting is the analyst's assertion that tablets might be in a bubble. Are they idiots? Look, I see tablets as being the "secondary computing device" that traditionally has been handled by netbooks. I see tablets as the complete replacement to the netbook market for a majority of people. I know in my case that's definitely true. You can't beat a device that boots in seconds and is ready to get to the content I want to consume. It's very easy to maintain a tablet. "Patches" are pretty simple to deal with. You get notified of updates, you do them, and you move on. Anyway, I take issue with the tablet bubble theory. I think it's a new market and there's a TON of room for growth.

Upvote 0
That's exactly right. We ALL owe Apple a debt of gratitude for seeding this market for us. Without the iPad, let's face it, the Xoom wouldn't exist as it does. We'd all be stuck with netbooks. That's not necessarily bad, but I personally feel the Xoom and iPad are FAR better suited to content consumption tasks. So, thanks, Apple. Now, get out of the way and let the Xoom pass! (I kid, I kid. :))

Upvote 0
1 thinner
2 cameras
3 dual core processor

I understand what you are saying, but to address your comment that it milks the consumers of thier money...well its true, but every company does that whenever they release a new product. If they sold the exact same ipad for more then yea, id say they are milking the consumers. Fact is that those are improvements...with the same price. I just can't say that they are milking consumers that much.

And like I said before, i was a HUUUUGE, and i mean HUGE skeptic of the "thinner lighter tablet" being that much better...but I have to admit, after playing with one, it really is nicer to hold than my Xoom.

Also Apple isnt the only company touting dual cores and cameras.

Upvote 0
Had the Xoom come out with a WIFI version on release day, I would have bought one. I may still buy one at Sam's Club when it is finally released. But, after seeing the Ipad2 videos, I couldn't resist. I ordered one today. How thin it is WITH the magnetic cover, and how smooth everything scrolls, etc, won me over. Maybe HTC will come out with a tablet that will make me sell the Ipad2, to go with my Thunderbolt.

Upvote 0
The pressure finally got to me.....I hunted down an ipad 2 about ten minutes ago. With the difference in price, and the possibility of better performance I had to do it. First of all....wow is this thing sexy. It really stands out against the xoom in that fashion. I know I plan on keeping them both for at least a little while as I am a silver premier best buy member, which allows me 45 days return policy with no restocking fee....and the ipad2 can go on CL and sell in minutes.

I am always torn between apple and google products....

Upvote 0
Well....my love affair with the ipad2 was very short lived. Despite its beauty.....I quickly ran into more than just flash sites that didn't function.....namely.....I couldn't log in and do online schoolwork. Also, it had been a long time since I used an Ipad and the experience had not improved, and just seemed stale. Thanks to Craigslist...this little experience shouldn't cost me anything. BTW. ..IF anyone in Denver wants an ipad....lol

Upvote 0
Well....my love affair with the ipad2 was very short lived. Despite its beauty.....I quickly ran into more than just flash sites that didn't function.....namely.....I couldn't log in and do online schoolwork. Also, it had been a long time since I used an Ipad and the experience had not improved, and just seemed stale. Thanks to Craigslist...this little experience shouldn't cost me anything. BTW. ..IF anyone in Denver wants an ipad....lol

WOW!.that was quick.

Upvote 0
The pressure finally got to me.....I hunted down an ipad 2 about ten minutes ago. With the difference in price, and the possibility of better performance I had to do it. First of all....wow is this thing sexy. It really stands out against the xoom in that fashion. I know I plan on keeping them both for at least a little while as I am a silver premier best buy member, which allows me 45 days return policy with no restocking fee....and the ipad2 can go on CL and sell in minutes.

I am always torn between apple and google products....

I'd love to play with one for comparison, but ..... nah.

;)

Upvote 0
Please remember, with text in a forum no one can see faces or hear tones of voice - so, let's not presume too much on people's posting intentions. ;)

None of us are perfect writers or readers because those things don't exist - I am living proof. :)

Even if that were possible, please remember this surely applies to us all: your mileage may vary.

Cheers, many thanks. ;)

Soooo true. Nothing is better (for true understanding purposes) than a good ole face to face conversation. Too bad that's not possible here. :cool:

Upvote 0
It's interesting how fast people forget. The deadline for Apple's sliding scale subscription service looms June 30th. Those who have invested in that ecosystem have no idea what July 1st will be like and are taking that chance. What apps will disappear overnight?
This is the one where if the developer sells app outside of the Apple Store, it cannot have its app in the Store? Is this right? I'm not up-to-date with iOS news.

Upvote 0
A 32GB Ipad 2 is $729. A 64GB Ipad 2 is $829. Neither has the option of a subsidized price with AT&T or VzW. The price of the Xoom is currently aligned with that of a comparable iPad.

There is no COMPARABLE 16GB, WiFi only $500 option available from Motorola at this time. Perhaps that is an opportunity for Motorola to examine. But, these 'analysts' are a joke. :rolleyes:

I'll just leave this here...

35897.png

Like many, I have no plans to use 3G/4G on the tablet, I'll just tether wifi from my phone if ever find myself in that situation. Storage is not a major issue; I don't know why anyone would need 64GB, unless they're using their tablet as their primary media storage device, which I would find odd.

Motorola and Android are new to the tablet market. The Xoom isn't familiar to most people and sits in a dark corner of Best Buy with finger smudges all over it. If not one of "us" (people keeping up with mobile computing trends), one might consider it a "fringe" device, reserved for highly technical gadgeteers.

The Xoom should have been cheaper. IMO, for $100 less, they'd still be desperately shipping cartons of them to retailers every week for the next few months. Instead, they sit on the shelves. Obviously, lack of a wifi-only unit at a lower price point hurt.

Upvote 0
Yes, Roze-

And if they have an out of app store, they must include (and then make it easier for Apple to get an additional 30%) a button to buy in app.

Amazon (for Kindle) has already come out and said they are working on a work-around that will allow content to be read from a browser. I think Amazon is planning on dropping their app. I can't wait to hear what Hulu and Netflix have as their strategy.

Upvote 0
I love my Xoom, however I'm most likely going to buy an ipad 2 as well (the wife wants something to play with too) There are enough signifigant differences based on the app stores alone for me to justify buying both.

Funny you would say that. I took my non tekkie wife down to BB over the weekend, with my xoom and her playing with the ipad2, and she chose my xoom. she said it's 2 dumbed down for her (she has Droid). I got my xoom on day 1, and I love it. Sure, out the door with cover and dock was $1k, it was worth it for me. Once the 4g and SD card work, it will be cheaper than a comparable ipad2. Plus, IMO, Motorola and VZN did a horrible job of marketing it. In my local BB, its hidden away, while the ipad's are right out front, leaving people unable to compare them at all. Even had some blabbermouth at BB, bragging about ipad this and that, so I whipped out my Xoom and showed him what I can do, including flash, customization, etc that he can't do, then I had people asking what I had. He gets what apple give him, I can customize to my liking.

In the end, it comes down to money IMO, either your willing to pay or your not. I will be picking up a WiFi only for my wife at the end of the month, per her request, not mine :D.

Upvote 0
Funny you would say that. I took my non tekkie wife down to BB over the weekend, with my xoom and her playing with the ipad2, and she chose my xoom. she said it's 2 dumbed down for her (she has Droid). I got my xoom on day 1, and I love it. Sure, out the door with cover and dock was $1k, it was worth it for me. Once the 4g and SD card work, it will be cheaper than a comparable ipad2. Plus, IMO, Motorola and VZN did a horrible job of marketing it. In my local BB, its hidden away, while the ipad's are right out front, leaving people unable to compare them at all. Even had some blabbermouth at BB, bragging about ipad this and that, so I whipped out my Xoom and showed him what I can do, including flash, customization, etc that he can't do, then I had people asking what I had. He gets what apple give him, I can customize to my liking.

In the end, it comes down to money IMO, either your willing to pay or your not. I will be picking up a WiFi only for my wife at the end of the month, per her request, not mine :D.

My fianc

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones