• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Mapdroyd is free and works well, but it will only show you on a map where you are, not give turn by turn directions. .There ARE some out there, but expect to pay.

And I'd definitely take a car charger so it doesn't die in the middle of the trip- Euro cars have the same 12V power ours do, trick is finding a car-USB adapter that pushes enough power. It would need to be USB3, original and USB2 don't send enough amps.

Reactions: fldude99
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies guys. I installed Sygic since it has a 2 week trial. I'm definitely figuring it will cost. We also travel to S America frequently and have used mapdroyd, but as mentioned its only good for locating yourself. Would be nice if Navigon had a free trial. I may go ahead and give sygic 60 euros for their pkg of Europe, North America, Africa and parts of S America and be done with it. Using sygic during the trial has been quite impressive actually. It's amazing how nice it is to have nav on a tablet instead of a little 4 inch screen.. Especially for my 50+ eyes

Upvote 0
Mapdroyd is free and works well, but it will only show you on a map where you are, not give turn by turn directions. .There ARE some out there, but expect to pay.

And I'd definitely take a car charger so it doesn't die in the middle of the trip- Euro cars have the same 12V power ours do, trick is finding a car-USB adapter that pushes enough power. It would need to be USB3, original and USB2 don't send enough amps.

Thanks for the tip on the charger. I picked up a Belkin from Walmart that puts out 2 amps. It's like a trickle charge but better than nothing. Having the keyboard fully charged will help in a pinch but then it's kinda cumbersome. The belkin just about keeps the device from losing charge while in use, but barely.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones