offline GPS on captivate:Is it possible?

Last Updated:

1. cmfrtblynmb

cmfrtblynmb Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all

I am planning to buy this phone. I am quite familiar with iphone environment , I don't know much about android

Here is my question: I will buy this phone with the cheapest data plan(200 mb of data use). I am always in places where wi-fi is available. I just need 3g for urgencies and e-mail

On the other hand I need gps and I happen to know when turn by turn navigation by google is used, a lot of data traffic is needed, since maps are downloaded in real time. I used a nokia 5230 before, and it used 30 mbs of data in a couple of hours I used its GPS function! The good thing was with that phone you could download maps and put them on 5230, but this is not possible with google maps app on android-though it has caching ability, it is very limited and it is not what i am looking for.

What I am asking for is the availability of a stand alone gps app, like tomtom on iphone. I am planning to turn 3g off on this device(I think there are some apps that do this), and I need a program that will rely on gps chip on device and gsm only. I am not willing to pay subscription fees as well, but a reasonable one time fee is OK.

Is there anything close to what i am talking about on android platform ?

Thanks for help, I apologize since I posted the same thing on introduction part as well

Thnx again

Advertisement
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

I haven't really played with it, but I think Orux Maps does this.

It's not overly user-friendly, but perhaps you can wrestle it into submission.

cmfrtblynmb likes this.
  3. ranova

ranova Well-Known Member

Well once they fix the GPS issues, you can get Copilot, works well and basically like the iPhone version

cmfrtblynmb likes this.
  4. cmfrtblynmb

Thanks for the replies!

5. ulbonado

ulbonado Well-Known Member

As ranova alludes to above, you need to read the sticky GPS issues thread at the top of this forum before you invest in a Captivate for navigation. Right now, there is a very good chance that the GPS will not meet your needs, regardless of whether or not you find a solution to the particular question you're asking in this thread.

cmfrtblynmb likes this.
  6. ranova

ranova Well-Known Member

I saw a video on the Epic's GPS and it still doesnt look like its completely accurate still... makes me worried

cmfrtblynmb likes this.
  7. cmfrtblynmb

thanks for the replies

It is a shame that GPS is broken on this phone.

8. pjs2004

pjs2004 Member

I wouldn't say it's broken. People are definitely having problems with it, but not everyone. I gave mine a good test the other day and it worked fine, without "use wireless networks" checked. It locked in like 30 seconds and stayed on and tracked me accurately for 3 hours, without interruption.

9. cmfrtblynmb

Actually I finally got the phone yesterday, and gps worked fine after some tinkering recommended on xda forums

Now I am looking for a gps app that I can use without using 3g data, at least with minimum traffic. I have limited data plan, I don't want to spend all my quota on map downloads.

10. qwertyaas

qwertyaas Well-Known Member

Google Maps (not navigation) doesn't really eat much data at all for me and I have tried it quite a bit this week.

You can just get standard turn-by-turn directions with it without even using GPS.

cmfrtblynmb likes this.
  11. cmfrtblynmb

I will try google maps for a week. Then I will get a better idea on data traffic

thnx