1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Offline Turn-By-Turn Gps app?

Last Updated:

1. Mike13579

Mike13579 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, I'm currently using the HTC Aria on AT&T 200mb/month plan. I normally use a good chunk of that a month already. I was wondering if there is an app that allows me to download maps that can be used offline and has gps turn by turn navigation on the downloaded maps. So essentually I'm looking for a navigation app which does not use data.

Thanks,
    Michael M.

Advertisement
  2. CuBz

CuBz Well-Known Member

The only one I can think of is Co-Pilot but it is not free. Although it is a fantastic satnav app and doesn't use data as far as I know :)

3. blackvyper

blackvyper Well-Known Member

You can indeed use CoPilot.. you can also try Navigon & iGo MyWay as well. All of these use no data. You can download weather and traffic updates with CoPilot but only if you want... it is not a requirement in order to use the maps. I live in Germany and find all of these apps to be useful since I travel alot. I tried Google Nav on saturday at the Oktoberfest and it failed.. miserably! Pay a little for these top notch GPS apps and save your data for looking at YouTube videos :)

note: If you desire Sygic or Ndrive then may the force be with you.. you will need it :eek:

wildrose likes this.
  4. nik3t

nik3t Member

Wait...doesn't GPS use data then? How does that work if you have downloaded offline maps?

5. RawlingsSc

RawlingsSc Well-Known Member Contributor

GPS itself uses no data. It is just receiving signals from the satellites. aGPS, which is Assisted GPS, uses a little data to help get the initial lock faster.

6. CeePeeBee

CeePeeBee Well-Known Member

Right there is a way - you can download google maps offline now and navigator apparently uses the offline version.

Might want to check but heard it on a podcast.

7. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Whoa...that's news to me. Can you provide any more information on this?

8. Rambler358

Rambler358 Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping Garmin will port their Mobile XT application over to Android. Yes, there's already the Garmin-Asus phone, but come on Garmin - get that software over to the rest of the Android devices! :D I know I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

9. w_bovine

Does that have maps on an SD card? When I had Garmin on my BlackBerry it used data.

10. Rambler358

Rambler358 Well-Known Member

Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile stored maps on the SD card, and I believe the Garmin-Asus phone does this as well. But unfortunately Garmin has not released their software for general Android devices as yet. :(

11. w_bovine

I wonder if they will at all, given that they have their own phone out now.

12. nik3t

nik3t Member

So I'm guessing the GPS on my HTC Desire isn't the aGPS right? Hmm...I never knew this

13. spiderick

spiderick New Member

I haven't tried these myself but i will be soon:
    1: Maverick Lite - free
    2: OsmAnd - free
    3: NaviDroyd -$5

you'll have to pre-download your maps <http://mobac.dnsalias.org/>

14. blackvyper

blackvyper Well-Known Member

Now you know.. and knowing is half the battle! Just had to say that. Use one of the 3 previous apps I mentioned and you'll be navigating around without sucking up all of your precious data. Believe me, I live an hour from Czech and the last thing I need is a 50

nik3t likes this.
  15. CuBz

CuBz Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but doesn't aGPS use your phones mobile signal to help GPS find where you are, quicker?

16. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Unless I'm missing something, that's what he said (see what you quoted)...

Or are you asking about triangulation? Triangulation is not GPS. GPS, by definition, uses the GPS satellites to determine location.

There are some options out there that involve downloading a precaching maps. IMO that's a PITA and I'd suggest an app that comes with locally stored maps like CoPilot which has already been suggested.

I don't understand your second question. Part of the point of having offline maps is so that you can use your GPS app without relying on a data connection.

Looking at the specs on the HTC site doesn't seem to indicate whether it does or not.
    http://www.htc.com/www/product/desire/specification.html

The Wikipedia page claims it does.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Desire

17. RawlingsSc

RawlingsSc Well-Known Member Contributor

My understanding is that aGPS sends the closest cell tower location to a server and receives back data on where the satellites should be at the current time. This allows the GPS chip to get a lock faster, because it's not starting from scratch. On my trip to DC two weeks ago, two of the guys I was with had standalone GPS units. Their units took several minutes to get a location lock, where my phone took maybe 30 seconds at the most.