oh god make the pain stop, let me turn off word suggestions...Support

Last Updated:

1. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

anyone know how to turn off word suggestion/correction?

I keep saying stupid things over IM that I didn't type.

Advertisement
  2. jo28

jo28 Member

Try:

Settings-->language & keyboard-->touch input-->text input-->uncheck prediction

3. jorell

jorell Member

Try this:

Home --> Menu --> Settings --> Language & Keyboard --> Touch Input --> Text Input --> [uncheck] Prediction and/or Word Completion

Should work.

4. jorell

jorell Member

Beat to the punch by two minutes...

5. Adamx

Adamx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks guys.

6. jerksmile

jerksmile Member

Any idea on how to add words to the prediction list? For example on the droid, when I type:

wel = we'll
    wer = we're

These are the two immediate examples of what I want to add, but I can't get this phone to do it...

7. bucwylde23

bucwylde23 Well-Known Member

Settings -> Language and Keyboard -> Touch Input -> user Dictionary

Hmm though it seems it won't allow you to do what you want

8. dcfan99

dcfan99 Well-Known Member

Menu-->Settings-->Language & Keyboard-->Touch Input-->>User Dictionary

9. bmo21

bmo21 Active Member

After you type the word once, hit it in the suggestions and it will add it to you dictionary.

10. jerksmile

jerksmile Member

Sorry, I don't think I wanna add the words there, I want to tell my phone to input "we'll" when I type "wel", like my Droid did...

11. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

The only thing that sucks is it doesnt fix mis-spelled words when you uncheck prediction.

12. benson304

benson304 Well-Known Member

I don't think you can have it both ways.

13. jo28

jo28 Member

Do you have both "spell correction" options enabled?

Settings-->language & keyboard-->touch input-->text input-->then there are 2 spell correction options you can turn on

14. jerksmile

jerksmile Member

Have *what* both ways?

adding new words to the user dictionary is good for slang terms and acronyms, but it doesn't allow for any punctuation. It seems odd to me that some of these typing shortcuts have been eliminated and cannot be added back into the list of predictive suggestions...

also, at the risk of further threadjacking, this phone doesn't have an option to Alt+delete to erase an entire line of text at a time; you just have to hold the backspace key down. meh.

15. DarkSky

DarkSky Well-Known Member

CORRECTION (at least on the Moto Droid, 2.1) :

Settings -> Language & Keyboard -> Motorola keyboard (Onscreen keyboard settings) -> Show Suggestions

16. lvlln

lvlln Well-Known Member

When I'm typing a word not in the dictionary, but I DON'T want to add it to the custom dictionary, is there a simple way to do this without tapping somewhere else in the text box? If I press spacebar or enter, it auto-corrects, and if I click on the word that I DO want to type, it adds it to the dictionary.

17. EagleBoy

EagleBoy Active Member

I had the same issue and I think I've found a workaround.... May not be easy/quick, but seems to work:

#1 - Type the word you want that is not in the dictionary but you don't want to add it. Android will bring up the word suggestions with its suggested word highlighted and your word to the left.
    #2 - Use the optical joystick and move left so that your word is highlighted. Do not touch the screen.
    #3 - Press space.

Your word will remain, but it will -NOT- be auto added to the dictionary.

18. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

I believe you are in the wrong forum. His directions are correct on the Droid Incredible.

19. clear33765

clear33765 New Member

This auto text changing on this phone is too restrictive. It simply will not accept what I'm typing and let me go where I want while typing in website addresses. If I went to a website like "www.cnn.com/entertainment", it will not let me type in "www.cnn.com". It constantly brings up the full address that was typed before. Yes I can just hit home and go to a websites home page. However, I type in one website address and it keeps taking me to other sites or just takes me to google.

I have all options unchecked for "prediction" "spell correction" and "word completion."

How do I force this phone to simply accept what I'm typing without changing anything? Does anyone know how to fix this?

This is the only thing I cannot stand about this phone. I swear it will end up getting thrown out the window.

20. xmBill

xmBill Member

Have you checked for any settings in your browser that might have something to do with it? I think it might be a browser setting more than in Android's settings. I am using the Dolphin HD browser with ONLY text prediction turned off (the others enabled) and I went to Entertainment News - Movie, TV, Music and Book - Reviews and Gossip - CNN.com in one tab and then closed out that tab, opened a new tab and input CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News and entered that. It didn't try to bring up the old site as you described. It took me straight to their home page. Just a thought.