• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Oh joy, Damned ICANN

Upvote 0
Hey gang!

Yeah - had a long lunch with the grim reaper (don't ask, it's not interesting, lost two months of everything, but do cue cheesy organ music suitable for a Roger Corman flick)... but... I'm back and possibly even more handsome than ever. (Cue rose petal bearers.)

Back on topic - my favorite is _WHY_ DHS got involved with this whole mess - nothing good looking about it.

Upvote 0
I am borderline hoping they touch the 'chans.

They do that.. and every person in America will be made aware of what the DHS is and does and why it may or may not be a good thing :/

A while back there was an article which highlighted words the government digs for online..

One of which was haircut XD.

Then again, Someone explained that to me later on and it made a bit of sense..

Upvote 0
Well.. unfortunately every since the "war" on drugs began.. and then the "war" on terrorism

We have had paramilitary forces running around pretty much unchecked :(

But, people are so use to hearing about how bad drugs are that they think its worth it to keep their kids off drugs..

Same thing with terrorism.. now that terrorism is the big deal... who cares if there is more government interference?

Lets stop having wars on idea's. YOU'LL NEVER WIN!

You can kill a man but, you can't kill an idea...

I know that was said in the movie v for vendetta..d unno if that is where the saying came from.

Upvote 0
Depends on how far you want to extend the topic.

I mean, if you were to lump things like "piracy" and "monopoly" into the conversation, yeah it is some pretty scary stuff.

I actually remember one time reading that a company (I want to say sony) was going to try and implement some system, where if you pirated something of theirs.. it would actually do physical harm to your computer.

What comes to mind off the top of my head is causing your hard drive to like instantaneously corrupt itself to the point of needing an entire new one.

I don't support piracy... then again, it does bother me that people don't want to come up with new ways to get you to pay.. They want to just keep their current model and sue the crap out of everyone..

Upvote 0
OK, my bad, my comment was too glib and unless you're mind-reader, couldn't convey my intent.

On piracy - more accurately copyright infringement of any kind - I'm dead set against it and it's a firing offense at our company. I have zero illegally-copied anything of any kind. As a software developer myself, anything else would just be hypocrisy on my part, in my opinion.

The large segment of people who feel copyright infringement is justified for any reason - well - to me, that's just entitlement-thinking - and kinda scary because of what it suggests.

The hyperbole that is the word piracy - was there a death threat on the high seas? that's piracy - is scary. Issues like copyright infringement are daunting - the existence of copyright and IP lawyers alone proves that - so hyperbole on a daunting subject is kinda scary, too.

The MPAA and RIAA have scary numbers about what part of their income, profits and their industry losses are hitting our economy. Opponents have scary arguments that their numbers are inflated and their tactics are too heavy-handed.

Monopolistic practices are scary.

My understanding (from the Slashdot links) was that the Department of Homeland Security had a hand in all this. I freely admit I stopped reading when I got to whatever their rationale was - because while I can see "piracy" sites being a problem to some segments of the economy (real or asserted) or outright illegal (IANAL) - I just couldn't see where it needed to involve the big brother department that's supposed to save us from terrorism - hence - my sarcastic remark. If someone had said some law enforcement agency, to me, that would have been different.

Anyway - I'm not following the details enough to have a strong opinion and maybe I misread something. If I didn't - it's insane.

~~~~

I think you're thinking of the infamous Sony rootkit debacle:

Sony settles 'rootkit' class action lawsuit - CNET News

I seem to recall that some sort of DRM update in a firmware upgrade bricked PS3 players and you'll find some lawsuit info on that, too, via google (sorry, got bored, didn't read).

I seem to recall the DRM'd CDs would do all sorts of malice to various computers - the idea being that - surely - no one would put a CD in a computer to say, listen at work, no, ahoy matey, there be pirates off the starboard optical drive!

ARRRR!

Upvote 0
I'm not saying that these sites in question aren't guilty of copyright infringement. I'm certainly not familiar with all of them, but let's say for the sake of argument that every single last one of them is as guilty as sin. There's still a little thing called due process. There were apparently no cease and desist letters, no warnings, no nothing. The feds just stepped in and seized their domain. To me that's what is terrifying. These sites have been punished with no due process whatsoever.

Upvote 0
I'm not saying that these sites in question aren't guilty of copyright infringement. I'm certainly not familiar with all of them, but let's say for the sake of argument that every single last one of them is as guilty as sin. There's still a little thing called due process. There were apparently no cease and desist letters, no warnings, no nothing. The feds just stepped in and seized their domain. To me that's what is terrifying. These sites have been punished with no due process whatsoever.

Yeah due process being skipped? I thought hitler died...

Upvote 0
So who wants to flood ICANN with e-mail/fax/phone regarding our disdain....

Offices
Marina del Rey, CA, USA

4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
Marina del Rey, CA 90292-6601
USA

Phone: +1 310 823 9358
FAX: +1 310 823 8649

Silicon Valley, CA, USA

325 Lytton Avenue, Suite 300
Palo Alto, CA 94301
USA

Phone: +1 650 684 0200
FAX: +1 650 328 2659

Washington, D.C., USA

1101 New York Ave, NW
Suite 930
Washington, DC 20005
USA

FAX: +1 202 789 0104

Belgium

6 Rond Point Schuman
Bt. 5
Brussels B-1040 Belgium

Phone: +32 2 234 7870
FAX: +32 2 234 7848

Sydney

Level 2, 48 Hunter Street
Sydney NSW 2000 Australia

Phone: +61 2 8236 7900
FAX: +61 2 8236 7913

Sydney Mailing Address

GPO Box 5104
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia

ICANN | Contact

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones