Oh...My...Gosh, I bricked my phone!

Last Updated:

1. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

DH is going to KILL me!

It won't do ANYTHING, I can't start it into flash mode or recovery, or anything! I'm about to have a panic attack! It's just...DEAD. NOTHING comes on. *cries*

I installed a custom ROM, playing around with the boot logo. I thought it would be cute to replace the png file of the android in a burner, with a PNG of my kids, I opened it in PS, laid it over the regular boot logo, cropped it and put it in place of the burner logo... and I restarted, installed it, rebooted and...NOTHING. It's just completely dead.

Advertisement
  2. K-Rizzle

I'm going to throw up! DH JUST bought me this phone for my b-day in June.

3. Othan1

Othan1 Well-Known Member

Sprint repair center will replace it for no charge. Just call ahead and let them know it just shut off and it won't come on. You have no idea what happened.

4. K-Rizzle

That's what I'm going to try today. I hope they let me.

5. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

You can also just use the Sprint Updater to reload stock Android 2.1 and you'll be all good. Back at square one, but so will you be if you take it to the Sprint store. And assuming that you've backed items up with Titanium, you'll be able to install it and restore your installed apps.

6. K-Rizzle

I can't get the phone to turn on period though. :(

I've already flashed back to stock 2.1 after some unwanted apps were installed with a theme, then I re-flashed to a kernel and re-installed a rom. But I can't boot up into flash mode or recovery.

7. Othan1

Othan1 Well-Known Member

Nah. He's (or she's) got a true brick. I had the same thing happen though not with a boot logo. The phone won't turn on. It'll show the charging icon (the one when the phone's off) but it won't do anything else.

Sprint exchanged mine with no questions asked. They just tried to turn it on and said, yup, it's dead, and gave me a new one.

8. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

You should still be able to load to the download screen (vol-down+camera+end), right? That's all you need to get to in order to reflash.

9. Othan1

Othan1 Well-Known Member

Unfortuantely not. On a true brick, nothing works. If you can get to the download screen or the recovery screen, then the phone's not bricked; just messed up.

Brick="I no longer function as anything other than an expensive paperweight. Maybe a hockey puck but that's about it. I guess you could throw it at someone if you're getting attacked, but really, how useful is that?"

10. chibucks

chibucks Well-Known Member

just a warning to everyone playing with the boot logo - there are size requirements for it - can't remember the cut off, but it's around 130-140KBs - any bigger and brick...

11. K-Rizzle

Nope, I can't even boot to the download screen. The phone does absolutely nothing.

I got a little too confident in my rooting abilities and figured I was just overlaying a photo onto the original boot logo but I didn't think about file size. *sigh*

My kids are napping and then I'm off to the Sprint store. I am crossing my fingers that they will replace it. I didn't buy it brand new, I bought it from craigslist in June. The guy SAYS he only had it for about 3 months prior to that, so I *think* the manf. warranty would follow the phone to me? I'm hoping they will think it's an electrical issue or a hardware issue and just throw a new one at me. I don't see how they are even selling them anymore anyway as they won't be getting the 2.2 update.

I don't know what I'll do if they won't replace it. I'll be phoneless...I can't afford a new one right now.

12. EmoTonyB

EmoTonyB Well-Known Member

once i was building a custom ROM over at SDX and i chose the option 'do not replace boot logo' as i had the android pissing on the apple loge at the time. that cause my phone never to go past the sprint boot image. loaded another rom with a different boot animation and worked just fine. dunno what this means or has to do with anything, just something i found odd.

13. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

Probably too late, but... They probably will do a swap and charge you the repair fee. The last time I did that was a few years back and it was $75, I'm sure it's a bit more now. Still far less than $300+ to replace the phone. Kiss up to the repair tech, they have a lot of latitude in what they can do for you so it pays to be on their good side. Good luck!

14. pastafarian

Oh, and I wish my kids still took naps!

15. jakson

jakson Member

this exact same thing happened to my phone about a month ago. i went to Sprint and just said that i thought i downloaded a virus from the app market, tried to reflash it and then it wouldnt cut on. got a new one for 4$.

16. K-Rizzle

Well I should be picking up a new one today. I was SO nervous, I'm a very bad liar, I just said it wouldn't turn back on.

He tried turning it on, tried plugging it is, said "it held a charge for a second there", and then said, "it seems like the screen is gone". It was still under manuf. warranty so he just had me sign a paper and said to call today for the new one, it will most likely be there.

I don't think I'm going to root again until I need to, or I'll just upgrade my phone when I'm up for an upgrade with Sprint, which I think is this November. Who knows, it certainly was nice having all the darn bloatware off of my phone. And it ran way faster and smoother with little kernel 1.5. *sigh* maybe I will root again, lol, I just won't mess with any of the files within the zipped ROM.

Meanwhile, I looked at the EVO when I was there, HOLY screen!!!

lol pastafarian, my kids are getting bad at napping, I wish it was still easy to get them to nap!!! lol!

17. pastafarian

Good news!

18. Stoney62

Stoney62 Well-Known Member

My parent's oldest (62) still takes occaisional naps-- I sure do enjoy them.:D