Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by FunDroid, Jul 9, 2010.
Poor Apple.. And we thought we had problems.
iPhone 4 catches on fire, defective USB port to blame
Dayum!!! Oh, and did you guys see the white EVO unboxing article on the right?
that is just classic. Love it
I cried reading this.....thank you. This is too funny. I wonder if Engadget got wind of this....
I'm sure it might just be my imagination... but it seems like there's been a great reduction in all the bitch threads about the Evo and how bad the quality is, with the people threatening to go to the iPhone.
Hmm... What is this iPhone thing? Is it like an EVO?
Boy, I guess this really is a hot device...
HTC has had their issues with design and manufacturing.
Not sure where the humor is. Just another example of some fanboi'ism in here.
Is your other phone an iphone?
In order for that to happen, you would have to have a full charge from the battery and full charge from a usb 3.0 port, really crappy wiring, and a whole lot of luck.
The max amount of volts running through that cable is 5V. The max about of amps is about 1.3amps.
That is about the same as 4 aa batteries. If you plugged it into a wall outlet and the outlet had lets say 5 or 6 amps, then maybe.
I just do not see how it is possible.
Doing a quick google will tell you almost all the melted cables are either from hubs or device powered by 2 or more usb port, ac from the wall, or direct power usb with a surge in the system.
Of course we have had our own claims about melted cables and burn up pc's with the evo.
But I still say, what is not really possible. I have shorted out a usb before, yes it got hot, no it did not melt nor damage anything.
It is really not that possible unless you really not paying attention and go above common sense.
Being a fanboy is going to the competitions forums and bragging what's done here is just satisfied customers proud of the choice they made in comparison to others short comings.
That said it is very unfortunate that something like this would happen. We have forked out to much money to be having these problems I.e. antenna problems, proximity censor problems, being lied to by our manufacture, and them blatantly denying any wrong doing. And now fire?....
Sorry, forgot...i bought an EVO.
Something goofy happened surely - that, I'll agree with.
For the record -
Wall outlets have 15 or 20 Amps available, less whatever is on that circuit already.
A single AA battery is rated at 2 to 2.5 Amp-hours. Rate of drain depends on load resistance.
5 or 6 watts (5V * 1A or so) steady can get mighty hot, depending upon the load and how much is dissipated into heat.
No consumer has this sort of thing coming.
It's something that all of carrying portable devices always have to worry about - or just trust to not happen.
Let us not forget that USB puts out enough current to allow heating devices to exist:
USB Mouse Heater
ThinkGeek :: USB Mug Warmer & Hub