• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OK before I "Leak" I just have a couple questions

Thanks for the information.

As a result of the thanks you gave me ... I have to ask ...

<<<<<< See Number

... does that mean I am half-way-to-hell?

... Thom

There ya go, you're thanked again and now are on the enlightened path :/

Great discussion and thanks everyone. I'll try out .232 tomorrow so I can at least get comfortable with it. I don't have a lot of time to go back and forth between roms, but got a nice week off of work. What I was wondering is if it would be a timesaver to set up ics, homescreens, settings etc now before the OTA and the (possibly) better roms come out based on a new build. I guess we'll see.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
I think he was asking if he would get automatic notification of the OTA if he installed the ICS leak and was root-ed.The kicker here IMNHO is that there is no way for knowing how Verizon/Wireless will recognize the "from" state in the ICS OTA. It has been assumed that it is Gingerbread root-ed or Gingerbread un-root-ed. I think that is likely but is yet to be determined.

... Thom

Once you are on an ICS leak (any ICS leak, as in an OTA candidate straight from Motorola, not an ICS ROM) you lose the ability to receive the update OTA. The OTA will require that you are on 5.9.905 stock in order to receive the notification, much less the ability to download it OTA and install it.

It has to do with several things, including lines in the build.prop file among other things, that cause this. See also my next response for more info.

yea, just plain rooted he would get the notification, however with the ICS leak, the devs altered the build to make it to where it doesnt receive notification of a new official ota update. i believe they change the updater.apk to updater.bak or remove it completely

Actually, it is a bit more entailed than that. It comes down to the way the cheesecake app was developed to look for pre-OTA leaks, which is exactly what these leaks are - every one from .2231 through .238 are pre-release leaks that were found via cheesecake. You have to be on 5.9.905 in order to find the leaks, just as you will have to be on 5.9.905 for the final release OTA (as I noted above).

So is this just a upgrade or is this going to replace gingerbread?

It is an upgrade from GB to ICS, and yes, it will replace GB permanently.

The pre-release leaks from .2231through .232 are not permanent. Leaks .235 and .238 ARE permanent.

See below for a full listing.

gee, "buttery smooth" vs garbled audio and other sound issues? doesn't sound like that great of a deal IMO. I don't want to go back to similar problems that I had with my Storm with missing calls (the ringer would stop functioning when it felt like it), not to mention a whole host of other show stopper problems. My bionic is my ONLY phone--I can't have it become more flaky than it already is, which is currently tolerable except for the data dropping issues that persist to this day.

The ICS pre-release leaks don't have garbled audio across the board, if it is happening, it is to a select few.

Some folks have complained about a whine when using wired headsets (mine does not and never has done that) but that does not extend to the earphone when making and receiving calls, only to wired headset (and only to a few people, and these folks also had the same problem back in 5.8.886 through 5.9.902 as well).

Data issues are almost non-existent with the ICS leaks - as I said in another thread, 99% of issues not caused by a major outage or VZW doing something stupid are FIXED with ICS pre-release leaks.

There ya go, you're thanked again and now are on the enlightened path :/

Great discussion and thanks everyone. I'll try out .232 tomorrow so I can at least get comfortable with it. I don't have a lot of time to go back and forth between roms, but got a nice week off of work. What I was wondering is if it would be a timesaver to set up ics, homescreens, settings etc now before the OTA and the (possibly) better roms come out based on a new build. I guess we'll see.

You can do all that, b/c when it comes time to be back on .905, there is a way to flash only the parts that it needs, without losing your data. The final OTA is an update and expects you to keep your data./B]

Let's get one thing clear. The ICS pre-release leaks are not ROMs made by a developer. They are testing versions of pre-release software that various engineers and developers at Motorola are testing on their own BIONICs to work out a lot of the kinks that they encountered when they pushed ICS OTA to the RAZRs. In that sense, the RAZR users were so happy and gleeful about getting ICS so early, but they, in effect, became guinea pigs for us BIONIC users.

The leaks so far:

1. Original engineering leak (uninstallable)
  2. 6.7.2231 (first installable leak)
  3. 6.7.2233
  4. 6.7.229 (numbering change)
  5. 6.7.230
  6. 6.7.232 (major overhaul of the underlying system framework - updating from previous builds to this build required that you not use TiBu to restore apps)
  7. 6.7.235 (First irreversible leak - better battery life for me than .232)
  8. 6.7.238 (second irreversible leak, best leak thus far on my phone)
  9. 6.7.239 (a hodge-podge build that apparently only works on some specifically designed engineer phones Motorola, cannot be installed by regular end users like you and me)

MattLGroff (of RAZR fame) has devised a lot of little things for the RAZR community that are going to help us out as well. He devised the method used to install a temporary 5.9.905 /system partition onto a phone that fools the next pre-release leak / OTA into thinking that you are on a true 5.9.905 system, and allows you to flash any update 6.7.235 and on, if you are already on 6.7.235/.238, but you cannot boot into that temporary .905 system at all, only use it to upgrade. So, we can move forward from 6.7.235 and 6.7.238 to the next leak / final OTA. If you hae any other leak installed, you can always FXZ back to 5.9.905, and you'll also be able to do it without wiping /data if you so choose.

SamuriHL has written a set of utilities collectively called House of BIONIC that performs all of these functions and many more, so that you can try to your heart's content.

Bottom line - you don't need to be rooted, and if you stick the 6.7.232 (the best of the reversible leaks) you're fine, golden, and will be able to revert to 5.9.905 in order to take another leak or the final OTA.

The final OTA will be permanent - IOW, once it is officially leaked, you'll be stuck on it just like use 6.7.235 / 6.7.238 users are, there will be no going back to GB at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones