• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Ok Google" not listening

In case this helps someone, I was having the same problem where the OK Google Detection was not working on my HTC One M8. I searched all over and tried a bunch of things, but then I found a blog that fixed it for me. http://forum.cyanogenmod.org/topic/97050-ok-google-and-wifi-cell-connectivity-issues-in-m8/
In there, he said an accessibility service was not playing nice with OK Google, so I went into Settings\Accessibility and disabled everything in there. After that, my OK Google detection worked. Then I just had to turn things back on one at a time until I found what was breaking OK Google. In my case it was the JVC Smartphone Control. I have to figure out what to do now because I need that app to connect my phone to my JVC car stereo (KWV50BT). At least I know what is causing it.
HTH
Ken
I just came here to say, that this is ultimately what worked for me. I disabled everything in the Accessibility settings, and like magic I could do the "say Ok Google" three times. Super strange that this fixed it for me, but I'm just glad that I now have OK Google working! Thanks a million!

Upvote 0
I have had the same problem a few times. The first thing to do is to see if "OK Google" works in safe mode. If it doesn't, then it's the phone and you need to take it up with your carrier. If it works in safe mode, then it's another app that's interfering. I've found 2 apps that interfere; Go Launcher was the first one I found. When I finally uninstalled all of Go Launcher, a few things got "fixed". I found that Nova doesn't interfere. The other app was "Smart Notify". I found that it would interfere if I had it turned on under the "Accessibility" settings. If I set it to off, "OK Google" worked fine. Unfortunately, finding which app interferes was hit and miss for me. BTW, my M8 is from Verizon. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I have had the same problem a few times. The first thing to do is to see if "OK Google" works in safe mode. If it doesn't, then it's the phone and you need to take it up with your carrier. If it works in safe mode, then it's another app that's interfering. I've found 2 apps that interfere; Go Launcher was the first one I found. When I finally uninstalled all of Go Launcher, a few things got "fixed". I found that Nova doesn't interfere. The other app was "Smart Notify". I found that it would interfere if I had it turned on under the "Accessibility" settings. If I set it to off, "OK Google" worked fine. Unfortunately, finding which app interferes was hit and miss for me. BTW, my M8 is from Verizon. I hope this helps.
Turned off all Accessibility settings as someone suggested and "OK Google" now works. Not sure which setting. Will experiment.

Upvote 0
In case this helps someone, I was having the same problem where the OK Google Detection was not working on my HTC One M8. I searched all over and tried a bunch of things, but then I found a blog that fixed it for me. http://forum.cyanogenmod.org/topic/97050-ok-google-and-wifi-cell-connectivity-issues-in-m8/
In there, he said an accessibility service was not playing nice with OK Google, so I went into Settings\Accessibility and disabled everything in there. After that, my OK Google detection worked. Then I just had to turn things back on one at a time until I found what was breaking OK Google. In my case it was the JVC Smartphone Control. I have to figure out what to do now because I need that app to connect my phone to my JVC car stereo (KWV50BT). At least I know what is causing it.
HTH
Ken
I tried hundreds of forums before this solution worked. For me, it was Easyblocker in Accesibility menu.

Thanks

Upvote 0
HTH
Ken

This worked for me, thank you. For me, it was a app organizer called Glextor that I downloaded from the Play Store. It was sitting in background watching for new apps to be installed so it could auto-categorize them into folders, but somehow that was interfering with Google Now voice detection until I turned it off in Accessibility.

Upvote 0
Hi all! Thanks for your help, Ive had the same problem for quite some time. I disabled every service in Accessibility settings and Ok Google worked again like a charm. Then I turned the services on again one by one and it turned out that the culprit was Notification Manager. Im using a Note 3 but it worked. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Same issue..... tried the accessibility options... nothing.

When the phone's charging and the screen is off it's good.
When the phone's NOT charging and the screen is ON it's good.
But when the phone IS charging and the screen is ON it doesn't work. Unless I JUST restarted the phone.
What could be different about when the phone is charging?

Upvote 0
Had the same issue (until about 10 minutes ago). Finding this thread, I turned off everything in my accessibility and I'm back to functionality.

Poking around a bit reveals that (for me) under Settings> Accessibility>scroll down to Services, turning AppLock "on" doesn't play nice with OK Google. I don't even know why it was turned on, so nothing lost here!

Many thanks for all the posts!

Upvote 0
Sorry to tell you, but the phrasing doesn't matter, at least not on any of my phones. As long as you speak normally, it works. You might be able to train your phone to be more specific, but I've always said "OK Google" as two words and it definitely works. It's difficult enough to find out why it isn't working, we don't need any incorrect information circulating.

Upvote 0
HTH
Ken
For me it was Kingo root in the accessibility settings. Soon as I disabled that it worked fine.

Upvote 0
When I try to activate voice search it wants me to say "Ok Google" 3 times. I've tried screaming, whispering, holding the phone close vs. arms length away but it's like the Mic isn't even active/listening. Anyone else experiencing this or have a fix?

Thanks.
I know this is an older blog, but still useful as I was having this issue. I just found it and fixed it with the first answer. And I did it on my RCA 10 viking Pro by going to settings>accessibility Turning everything off, then to Google app and voice recognition worked. I then went back to settings>accessability and turned everything on one at a time, testing "OK Google" between each selection. Finding that the problem was having "captions" turned on. I turned "captions" back off, rebooted my tablet it's now working fine.

Upvote 0
"OK Google" was not working for me on my HTC 1 M8. I read all these posts and was unsucessful in making it work. So I started experimenting around. For me, I found in the Google App, under Settings, a selection called "screen search". When I turn this feature off (I'm not sure what it does, anyway) "OK Google" works fine in all screens. I had already turned off all the access functions, as directed above. When I enable this screen search feature, OK Google is not recognized in the google app or in any screen. HTH. I am leaving the screen search feature disabled, and all the access stuff disabled as well, and so far, everything is working fine for me.

Upvote 0
"OK Google" was not working for me on my HTC 1 M8. I read all these posts and was unsucessful in making it work. So I started experimenting around. For me, I found in the Google App, under Settings, a selection called "screen search". When I turn this feature off (I'm not sure what it does, anyway) "OK Google" works fine in all screens. I had already turned off all the access functions, as directed above. When I enable this screen search feature, OK Google is not recognized in the google app or in any screen. HTH. I am leaving the screen search feature disabled, and all the access stuff disabled as well, and so far, everything is working fine for me.

Thanks for your input. Just to add to your post I checked my "Screen Search" settings on the Google app also. I'm running Android 6.0.1. Mine has two selections. The first that starts,"Ask Google to show..." is ON.
The second that's starts,"Helps improve screen search..." is OFF.
My access stuff is mixed.
My "OK Google" has been working well for a number of months.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones