• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Ok Google" shows in the Google prompt even though I have the feature turned off in settings

Sep 18, 2016
Okay, this is a weird one. I have "Ok Google" turned off in my settings on both my Android devices, but the Google search field on the first pane of my Android phone still shows Say "Ok Google" in it. Also, earlier today, someone at the other end of the house closed the front door rather loudly, and I heard my Android phone from across the room immediately say "I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand that." oO

I went into Google > Settings > Voice > "Ok Google" detection, and all the little slider toggles were off.

Any idea what's going on here? Oo

I believe that text changes and it's just an example of things you can say. The search bar always displays a mini tutorial of an example thing you can command it to do.

If you are worried that voice detection is on even though you disabled it, try saying okay Google to your device and see if anything happens. As for the door slamming.... It's hard to say what happened there.

Reactions: Bg260 and kct1975
Upvote 0
Okay, this is a weird one. I have "Ok Google" turned off in my settings on both my Android devices, but the Google search field on the first pane of my Android phone still shows Say "Ok Google" in it. Also, earlier today, someone at the other end of the house closed the front door rather loudly, and I heard my Android phone from across the room immediately say "I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand that." oO

I went into Google > Settings > Voice > "Ok Google" detection, and all the little slider toggles were off.

Any idea what's going on here? Oo

There is definitely something weird, if I have everything toggled off in settings, Say "OK Google" is removed from both the Google app and the Google search bar, and there is certainly no response to voice input except that if the 'microphone' is tapped it still expects a voice input and responds with "If you just said something I didn't hear what it was" after a few seconds of silence, which is normal.

Screenshot_20161202-092055.png Screenshot_20161202-092028.png Screenshot_20161202-091948.png
Screenshot_20161202-092109.png Screenshot_20161202-092130.png Screenshot_20161202-092145.png

Have you tried toggling on then off the detection settings and possibly Force Stop/Clear cache the Google app?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All the settings are exactly as it appears on screen-grab #4 there, but I still see Say "OK Google" in the Google field. In fact, today I was watching a Youtube video on my computer, with the phone laying here in front of me, and partway through that I looked over and noticed the phone had gone into Google voice search mode without me telling it to. In fact, it did so several times in succession. And yes, saying "OK Google" does in fact make it go into search mode.

I've tried toggling "From the Google app" on and back off. It didn't change anything.

How do I Force Stop / Clear cache on the Google app?

edited to add:
Okay, my best understanding right now is that on my Samsung phone I go to Settings > Applications > Application Manager and then tap one of the app names there, which then takes me to a screen where there's a Force Stop button. The problem is, I'm not sure which app to do that on. I don't see anything like a Google Search or such, I DO see several things with Google in the name, though:

Google App
Google Play Movies & TV
Google Play Music
Google Play services
Google Text-to-speak Engine

The only ones that seem close to what I'm looking for is Google Text-to-speech Engine, or possibly Google App. Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, you're up the right tree :), it's 'Google app' :-

Screenshot_20161205-105108.png

(The detection settings are accessed from the Google app)

Did you also toggle ON/OFF 'From any screen'?. It seems to be stuck in that mode rather than just from the Google app.

Depending on what Android version you have, to 'Clear cache' you may need to go into 'Storage'.

If clearing cache/force stop in the Google app doesn't help you could try a 'Wipe Cache Partition' which has cleared various weird problems on my HTC devices, particularly following a system update.

If you're not sure of the procedure, google
"Samsung (your device) wipe cache partition"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did you do the 'Wipe Cache Partition'?.

If not, the following web page has the procedure :-

http://cellphoneforums.net/samsung-...-partition;-boot-safe-mode.html#axzz4S13yaBAD

If that doesn't sort it you might have to consider a Factory Reset. Something I have so far avoided due to success with the Wipe Cache Partition in resolving the various problems I've had during the last 3 to 4 years.

I suppose there is one other thing you could try and that is to Uninstall/Re-install updates for the Google app.

Upvote 0
Okay, I went to Settings > Applications > Applications manager > Google App and then Storage and from Manage Storage I invoked Clear Google Search Data and it seems to have cleared the Say "Ok Google" from there... for a little while, but it came back when I tapped the Google field. Grrrrr.... Tried doing that again, this time selecting Force Stop first, then invoking Clear Google Search Data and then tapping the Google field and letting it take me through the setup again. It still knew my two Google email addy's and listed them for me to select from, so its still pulling that info from SOMEwhere... Annnndddd... it went back to showing Say "Ok Google" again in the Google field. Oo

How drastically does clearing my cache partition at power-on clear things? Will I have to re-enter ALL my settings and login credentials? oO

edited to add:
Okay, I went through with the Clear the Cache Partition thing. For a moment or so, the Google search field showed empty... but now it's gone back to having the Say "Ok Gooogle" message. It also still shows my most recent search terms when I tap it. Wasn't that stuff supposed to be GONE when I cleared cache? Oo

edit2:
Okay, I go to uninstall all the updates to Google App, and the second dialog box that comes up asks if I want to replace this app with the factory version. For the time being I've hit Cancel on that, since I'm actually curious what the difference, if any, is between the "factory version" and the version that shipped with my T-Mobile-distributed version of Android. Likely not much difference, but... Anyone know?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Going to 'Factory version' is the closest you can get to uninstalling a pre-installed app. It reverts to the state it was in when the device came out of the box, which is what you want to do. For example, the only time I've done that is with my stock email app which was playing up. Going back to factory version removed all the accounts and restored the settings to default (as they were 'out of the box'), whereas if I had only uninstalled updates it would have retained everything.

'Wipe Cache Partition' does not affect your data or settings, it just cleans everything and gets rid of unwanted garbage that can build up in memory banks, typically following updates.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay, I've just now done the uninstall-to-factory-version thing to Google App. Is there something I should do next, before I.... say... tap on the Google field? And right now (I've not touched anything since letting the uninstall reinstall go through) I don't see Say "Ok Google" appearing in it, but then after doing one of these other things, it didn't show that until after I'd then done something else related to opening the Google search. And then it did again. Is there something I should hit first before doing ANYthing else, to preclude Say "Ok Google" reappearing in it?

edit:
Okay, having left the phone untouched, it went into screensaver/standbye mode. I brought it out of standbye, and swiped-the-screen to get back to desktop... and now Say "Ok Google" is back. oO

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I assume that after updating the Google app you rechecked the status of the detection settings, I'm not sure what they default to.

I've just gone through the toggle sequence again and it is doing exactly what it should do ie. with everything toggled OFF, Say "OK Google" disappears from the search bar within the Google app and also from the search bar widget on one of my home screens.

Toggle 'From the Google app' to ON and Say "OK Google" appears in the Google app search bar only and not in the home screen widget, and voice response is only from within Google app.

Toggle 'From any screen' to ON, the 'From the Google app' auto toggles OFF, and Say "OK Google" appears in both search bars and voice response is from any screen.

What you're getting makes no sense at all.

I guess the Factory Reset, with the usual 'back up your data' proviso, is your final option unless anyone else can jump in with something that I've missed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay, I tapped the Google search field on the home screen, and it stepped me through adding back in my preferred account (I have two gmail accounts, it listed both addies for me to checkbox one) and stuff. I then went into the Google App Settings pane, into Voice > "Ok Google" detection, and found From the Google app was turned on, and I have now I turned it off. All the other toggles on that pane are (already) off.

Let's see now if Say "Ok Google" stays gone from the home screen Google field.

This has been making me freaking paranoid because part of me wants to suspect some outside agency hack-modified my cellphone so they can turn it into a listening device. OO I'm a complete nobody, but some of my opinions on certain societal things could theoretically get me murdered if the wrong person heard me out of context or something. Oo

edit:
Okay, coming back from standby, I find no sign of Say "Ok Google" appearing in the Google field, so I'm guessing that means the trouble has been fixed. I will keep an eye on it for the next few days.

Last edited:
Reactions: tommo47
Upvote 0
Still gone today, so I guess its fixed.

It brought to mind that plot thread from the Dick Tracey comicstrip back in about the mid 80s... about the Big Brother telephone company, where it turned out the phones were always off the hook, even when you had them hung up, so everyone was potentially being listened to.

My understanding is that, for "OK Google" to work, it has to send the audio of what you're saying to a server at their place, where the server then converts the audio into text to be processed. If that server is *always* listening (so that it can notice when you've just said "Ok Google" and start acting on it), that would also mean someone -- like, say, the NSA -- could have key-words to be listened for, and if a certain combination of key-words shows up, they tag THAT guy as someone to pay more attention to, since he might be doing or planning something suspicious.... or might simply hold opinions someone in some alphabet-soup agency doesn't like. So, yeah, I always turn that stuff OFF on all my devices to give the NSA goons fewer free-ride ways of monitoring me, knowing full well they're still probably monitoring everyone's web-surfing activities and the like, too.

edit:
Or does it only start transmitting the audio after you've said "Ok Google"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones