Ok guys, need ur Help. **T-Mobile 3G on euro version in US?Support

Last Updated:

1. pacothebandit

pacothebandit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Mar 11, 2009
    I am looking to buy a Euro version of the Samsung Galaxy S. one with 3 buttons and the guy has sent me a pic to verify. He claims it will work on the 3G for our lovely USA Magenta....will it?? I am not going to spend $390 on a phone if it wont.

Thanks guys.

2. larryccf

larryccf Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    do not believe it will - USA Tmobile uses the AWS IV band (1700/2100) for 3G

1700 for the upload side, 2100 for the down

the euro Tmo only uses 2100 - i had wanted to buy a HTC Desire and import it, and figured i could live with 3G on the download side only but after researching, it turns out USA Tmobile, if the network doesn't see both sides of the AWS IV band, will automatically revert to 2G or EDGE svc

on the flip side, our phones will pull 3G in europe
  3. PhoenixFx

PhoenixFx Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Yep, be careful about 3G bands, as larryccf said, and as mentioned in Wikipedia, T-Mobile uses 1700Mhz , and 2100Mhz where as most European networks use 900Mhz,1900Mhz and 2100Mhz. Looks like this AWS thingy used by T-Mobile needs both bands to operate, therefore if you dont have 1700Mhz maybe you might not be able to use it at all (despite having 2100Mhz) [corrected my earlier statement]

One more thing, $390 seems bit too cheap for a Galaxy S (if its new and unlocked).