OK I'm a noob! Idiot considering rooting has a Q!

Last Updated:

1. msiviter

msiviter Active Member This Topic's Starter

Rooting?

OK, I'm trying to cut through the technogarb;

1. In Linux to perform certain tasks you need root authorisation, same in Android?
    2. Android dont want you to do this so the normal Linux command prompt method won't work hence you need to replace stock Android with a modified one which will allow it?
    3. Enter Pauls (Modaco) method on the wiki, which just mods the recovery image on the partition that is used to factory restore the Galaxy on hard reset, to allow it to access root.
    4. Can the Galaxy be returned to totally standard form for warranty claims?
    5. When (I'm an optimist) NPS supports the UK Galaxy will it recognise nonstandard rooted phones and not allow upgrades?
    I'm sure I nearly understand, I've been flashing WM phones for years but this is all a bit different.

Thanks for any pointers.

Advertisement
  2. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

The easiest way to root is to modify the recovery partition. That is a mini linux, so can mount the main partition on your phone and modify it to add root. Its kind of like booting with a floppy on your computer and mdofiying your windows directory (sorry if that sounded patronising!)

This recovery partition is also used to factory reset your phone. So when you flash a new firmware, using odin or NPS, this recovery gets replaced with that for the firmware you flashed. Everything else on your phone also gets wiped and reset to that new firmware.