• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root OK I'm rooted, so now what...?

Just rooted my phone today following the guide in the sticky. Wasn't too hard. I'm a long time Verizon customer, my previous phone was a Palm Pre+ that I rooted the first day I got it. I didn't feel as big a need to root this phone, I was just bored, but I have a few questions.

Anyway I'm just wondering what I should be doing next?

I don't really feel the need to overclock yet. Plenty fast so far.

I would like to try ICS, if it isn't to complicated.

Can I install new kernals and stuff without using command line on my pc?

What is the best way to customize screens and menus? How can I go to bootloader or whatever without my pc?

I've installed superuser, and am trying to use ClockWorkMod's ROM manager. It says I need to install ClockWorkMod Recovery. Where can i get that, do I even need it?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm new to this phone, and new to android.:smokingsomb:

Just rooted my phone today following the guide in the sticky. Wasn't too hard. I'm a long time Verizon customer, my previous phone was a Palm Pre+ that I rooted the first day I got it. I didn't feel as big a need to root this phone, I was just bored, but I have a few questions.

Anyway I'm just wondering what I should be doing next?
thats not really a question for us. what do you want to do next?

I don't really feel the need to overclock yet. Plenty fast so far.

I would like to try ICS, if it isn't to complicated.
best way would be to flash an ics custom rom. there is a patch that will make them work with your current firmware. youll find it in the original post of most ICS roms.

Can I install new kernals and stuff without using command line on my pc?
you can,but if you stay s-on,its alot more of a PITA

What is the best way to customize screens and menus? How can I go to bootloader or whatever without my pc?
you can boot to hboot by turning off "fastboot" in settings/power. turn the phone off. hold the vol down key slightly first,then the power button until you see hboot. from there you can select recovery or fastboot. or you can instal PH98IMG files.

I've installed superuser, and am trying to use ClockWorkMod's ROM manager. It says I need to install ClockWorkMod Recovery. Where can i get that, do I even need it?
i would pretty strongly encourage you NOT to use rom manager. it is an app,in a working rom,and as such will not always be available for you to use. you are much better off knowing how to manipulate your phone manully by the menus in recovery.

clockwork recovery,wich is needed for rom manager to work, also originally had issues with the rezound. amon recovery is generally considered to be safer

forgivng the first 2 things,you cannot really use rom manager with htcdev s-on,as the kernels need to be flashed seperately if a permanetly installed recovery is used. this means that rom manager is unable to install roms properly.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm new to this phone, and new to android.:smokingsomb:

youre welcome :)

since you have expressed interest in doing things without a PC,the best way for you to do that is to become s-off,wich will let a permantly installed recovery act more "normally" and be able to write to the boot partition.

staying s-on,recovery cannot write to boot. best way around it is to plug into the pc and fastboot boot recovery. in this manner,the launched recovery can write boot,like an s-off device.

flashing roms from a permantly installed recovery will require the kernel(boot image) to be flashed seperately. since most roms now are set up for the s-off crowd,youll need to manually remove the boot image from the rom and make provisions to flash it.

welcome to the rezound,and to android. its a wonderful OS to mod and tinker with :)

Reactions: ninjamunky85
Upvote 0
Thanks Scotty,

I'm still learning about this phone. I want to set up all the screens in landscape orientation. Is there a way I can do that?

I'd like to have those additional boot options in the boot menu.

Can you tell me more about S-on and S-off?

On my old phone I had a custom kernal and an app that gave total control of the CPU. Could set min and max frequencies, or set the frequency to adjust on demand. Also gave temps and a bunch of other options. I'm just wondering what my options are for the Rezound.

Upvote 0
Thanks Scotty,

I'm still learning about this phone. I want to set up all the screens in landscape orientation. Is there a way I can do that?
if you dont care about sense,you can run a senseless rom,or just istall apex or nova launcher with your stock rom. there are options for landscape,as well as many other things you can customize-transition animations,and app drawer animations,transparency to name a couple.

if you want to keep sense,there is not a good way to do it with stock 3.6. at least,not that i know if.

sense 4.0 has that ability,you might try out newt's incredible 4g port,wich has a very nice,smooth,functional sense 4.0.

http://themikmik.com/showthread.php?12042-Rom-Newts-OnE-XxX-RLS-3-(Sense-4-ICS-4-0-3)-6-14-2012

I'd like to have those additional boot options in the boot menu.
there may be a mod you can flash in recovery if you search xda. or you can simply install a rom.

[ROM][6/17][CONROM V4][4.0.3 OTA Sense 3.6+DeSense][DeBloated][Root][Aroma][Tweaks] - xda-developers is a good stock rom with a few tweeks.

Can you tell me more about S-on and S-off?
read thru this for more info on s-off: [ROM][6/17][CONROM V4][4.0.3 OTA Sense 3.6+DeSense][DeBloated][Root][Aroma][Tweaks] - xda-developers

feel free to post there if you have further questions after :)

On my old phone I had a custom kernal and an app that gave total control of the CPU. Could set min and max frequencies, or set the frequency to adjust on demand. Also gave temps and a bunch of other options. I'm just wondering what my options are for the Rezound.

i dont usually mess with kernels,im pretty boring when it comes to that :eek:. setcpu and a few other apps have been used to control processor speeds,im not sure if they are working correctly with the dual core ICS phones yet or not.

you might start a new thread asking this question specifically,as i know there are a few users that have tweeked things much more than i do. :)

Upvote 0
Looks like you and I where both bored yesterday ninja. I finally rooted my rez too. Thanks Scotty!

IIRC the only issue I ran into there not mentioned in your guide was needing to put SDK on this machine. That or I just missed something.

So that was fun. The next thing I did was s-off. That trick is not for the faint of heart. I mucked around for a couple hours before I found a forum post that mentioned installing the Google USB driver in SDK. I think that was what was what was holding things up there.

Anyhoo, I had fun. Needed a day to geek out and this fit the bill. Running Clean ROM. Woot! ICS, No more ads, ti-bkup, wifi tether (for test purposes)

Good times.

So to answer your question of what to do next. I went with s-off. It was a little scary to be honest. I double checked my insurance was up to date and I had a working fallback phone first mind you. Despite a few hurdles I got it after about 4 hours of reading and poking around and I'm glad I did it. Google was my friend on this project big time.

Upvote 0
IIRC the only issue I ran into there not mentioned in your guide was needing to put SDK on this machine. That or I just missed something.
apparently you missed the first part of the directions ;) :
1)prepair ADB
-unzip your mini-adb.zip file. this is native funtionality in windows 7. you otherwise may need a utility such as "7-zip" to extract,or unzip it. place the unzipped folder onto the root of your C\ drive on your PC(sorry, you mac guys will need to develop this for yourself,i dont have a mac). root means the top level,not inside any folders. so just copy and paste,or drag and drop the folder onto C with everything else that is there. rename it to "mini-adb_vigor" since youll be putting some vigor(rezound) specific files in here. you actually can call it whatver you want,but directions from here forward will assume this folder to be named "mini-adb_vigor"
-open a command window. on windows 7,click the start bubble in the lower left and type "command" in the search box. xp i believe is similar or the same. doing this should open a small black command window.
-change to your mini-adb_vigor directory. type the following at the prompt in your cmd window:

cd c:\mini-adb_vigor

your command promt should change to "c:\mini-adb_vigor>" provided you: 1)unzipped the miniadb zip 2)put the folder on your c drive 3)renamed the folder "mini-adb_vigor"

-now make sure usb debugging is checked in settings/apps/development,and plug your phone into your PC with a usb cable
-make sure your phone is being recognized- type:

adb devices

if your drivers are installed correctly,this should return your phones serial number. you should hear the "found device" noises when you plug your phone in. if it starts installing drivers,wait for it to finish before typing the adb devices command.

one of the advantages of using my guide is the fact that you do NOT need to download and install the entire sdk,since 99% of it youll never use. most users are only going to need the adb and fastboot utilities,wich are contained in the mini-adb download.

this is why you didnt see any references or instructions on installing the SDK ;)

So I'd like to try this ROM [Rom] Newts OnE XxX RLS 3 (Sense 4 ICS 4.0.3) 6/14/2012

I don't have to be S-off to install it do I? I'm still a little unsure of the installation procedure. Which files should I install, what's the best way to do it?

you do not have to be s-off. i answered this question above:
staying s-on,recovery cannot write to boot. best way around it is to plug into the pc and fastboot boot recovery. in this manner,the launched recovery can write boot,like an s-off device.

again,dont make this too complicated. i have preached in many different threads that taking the few seconds that it takes to launch your recovery via the fastboot boot command is well worth it. it makes your life much,much easier since your phone will now install the kernel for you when the rom scripts are set up to do so.

you can unplug from the pc after recovery is running if you want to.

you can also launch recovery in this manner,even if youre also running it permantly installed.

this is one HUGE advantage of the s-off methods existance,even if you chose not to take advantage becoming s-off yourself: rom devs now script the roms to install the boot image. so as long as your recovery is fastboot booted into phone memory,all you need to do to install the rom is flash it in this manner:

1)download rom. download old firmware patch
2)trtansfer rom and fimrware patch to sd card
3)open cmd window,cd c:\mini-adb_vigor
4)enable usb debugging,plug in phone.
5)boot to fastboot via adb reboot bootloader
6)launch recovery via fastboot boot recoveryname.img

* at this point you can disconnect from the pc if you want to flash your rom in front of the tv,or at the dinner table,or in the... nevermind ;) :p

7)make a backup(optional)
8)full wipe(data/factory reset,cache,dalvik cache. optionally also wipe /system and /boot)
9)flash rom from sd card. immediately after,flash the old formware patch(not before!)
10)reboot

if you need to restore a backup,use the same process,just restore the backup at step 10 in place of the flashes :)

hope that clears it up for you :)

Upvote 0
So I messed something up and can't boot to recovery. I get this message.

c:\mini-adb_rezound>fastboot flash recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img
unknown partition 'recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img'
error: cannot determine image filename for 'recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img'

Any idea what I need to do to boot to recovery?

Edit: OK I'm dumb, lol. Anyway I messed around some and got to recovery. Good thing I took a class with a lot of command line last quarter.

Upvote 0
Success, got it downloaded, and seems to be working fine. Seeing 4G for the first time.

I'm just wondering about one thing. I flashed the ROM, but didn't flash the boot.img. Everything seems to be working fine so far. I turned animations off.

Anyway, is not loading the correct boot.img a problem.

Thanks,
Ryan

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones