ok....just wondering if i am aloneGeneral

Last Updated:

1. tilejoesham

tilejoesham Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

first.... please no negative things here please lets just have a normal conversation. now that has been said, just wondering if the new phones coming out, are any sparking your interest to pull you away from your eris ?? now im rooted so i have explored all things and well i just feel like im missing something like there could be more and one phone has sparked my interest because i DO like alot of things about the eris ( touch screen, look, feel among others ) but there is definitely room for improvement. so with out further ado ill link a video of the droid x i found and to be honest i think this will be my next phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nixJR_QNibg

watch the video i really really like the screen

Advertisement
  2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

All of the cool, new Android phones are growing large, in a way that almost seems as if the OEMs have a Napoleon complex or something. The Droid X just looks too slabby for my taste. I want something that is Eris-sized, or - better - thinner. The Incredible is closer to the phone that I want than the Droid, Droid X, or Droid 2.

Also, after waiting for quite some time for the Eris to get a 2.1 update, I'd be worried with the Droid X that the Blur UI would have the same issue going forward (though, saying that, 2.1 isn't missing all that much right now - just voice dialing via Bluetooth headset is just about the only thing I miss on Android 2.1 right now.)

3. irod87

irod87 Banned

Having root has kept my interest in the eris but I am itching to upgrade.

4. BoulderAndroidFan

BoulderAndroidFan Well-Known Member

Speed and hardware improvements aside, the Droid X is just way too big for my tastes. I like how well the Eris fits in my pocket or thin holster. If they could make a phone with the internal speed and hardware of all the latest Android releases in a size and shape like the Eris, that would be my choice.

5. tilejoesham

tilejoesham Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

yea very true i wonder if manufacturers are going to find a way to push updates if your not on a vanilla os like the droid because if it wasnt for sense we "probably" would have got the update alot sooner so you do make a very valid point with the blur ui but about the screen there is a thing as TOO big but im a media type of phone user so its plays to my likes but that whole update thing is a concern hmm..... thank goodness google finally said they are only going to start doing updates once a year lol

6. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

I don't need a new phone, my Eris does everything I need it to do without any lag. I have yet to get the silent bug issue.

7. cmajpwc

cmajpwc Well-Known Member

The only thing I want out of this phone that it doesn't have is a physical keyboard. So my option would be the Droid 2. And I don't justify myself spending that much money for a brand new phone when the only thing I would use out of it that I don't use on my Eris is the keyboard. My Eris is just fine, no lag (minimal at most at times after a call or making a call), and I love the size and shape. So I won't be upgrading most likely until my contract runs out in a year and a half or so. And by then I'm hoping they have an Android phone with a keyboard and the size of the Eris. I'm not a fan of the giant screens, although they do look nice. I would never get a phone with a screen that big, though.

8. debssx3

debssx3 Active Member

Same here. I think there will always be a better phone than the one you currently have. But it's all good, I still love my Eris. :)

9. Skyholder

Skyholder Well-Known Member

I'd just like them to reconfigure so that the Blue Tooth would be completely compatable. I don't want to have to handle my phone to place a call. This is my first phone that has not allowed me to initiate the call from the ear pierce.

10. gadgetmom88

gadgetmom88 Well-Known Member

The thing about upgrading to a newer Android phone is that you get the exact same experience you are getting on your current phone... Except faster. Not really the answer to boredom.

11. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

After changing my home from Sense to PandaHome to OpenHome, I am now 100% satisfied with my phone and don't foresee changing anytime soon (even after my upgrade date). I like the fact that my phone is, relatively, small; attractive; pretty slick; and personalized to my tastes. (It took me a long time to get it that way, trial and error every app and every screen.)

12. majorpay

majorpay Well-Known Member

This may sound weird, but I just want my phone to do everything. Where the eris is lacking:

1. Gaming. It doesn't have a GPU and it doesn't have a decent interface for gaming (i.e. Game gripper for droid). I doubt I'd use this that much for gaming, but like I said, I want it to do everything.

2. I'd like support for video out. Not many phones do this, nor is there much of a point, but it falls into the "want it to do everything" category.

3. Last, a decent camera with a flash. Is that still too much to ask in 2010?

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

13. majorpay

majorpay Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that was an issue, but go ahead and add it to my list.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

14. moviemngr

moviemngr Active Member

didn't the vanilla droid get 2.1 like 2 weeks earlier than the Eris?

After thinking about this, have any actual MotoBlur phones been upgraded to 2.1? Maybe HTC is super fast at the updates and Motorola is super slow....

I mean it took Motorola almost as long as HTC to get a vanilla update out. Or is this simply the carrier (verizon)?

15. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

It's kind of the manufacturer's and carrier's fault. The manufacturer must update their custom UI for the new Android OS and the carrier must test the new update.

16. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

No need/desire to upgrade at the moment. eris does what I want it too, and all the "upgrades" right now, except maybe the incredible, are bigger and/or heavier than I want. Between haqving been a Military Policeman and then working construction, I am tired of carrying heavy tools around.

Less is more, I guess you could say...

17. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

I agree with many here that the ideal phone would be something like the size and look of the Eris but with the technology of what's coming in the new Motorolas. Also for everyone here looking for bluetooth voice dialing, 2.2 has that feature and it does work. I have 2.2 on my Motorola Droid right now and it works great. Of course the problem is that we don't know if the Eris is getting it yet. (Sorry for going off topic a little.)

18. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

The Droid had the update about 6 weeks before the Eris (after being delayed a couple of weeks or so due to a server capacity issue, rather than an issue with the update, IIRC.) The Eris is really an older phone that the Droid, though - it is basically the same thing as the HTC Hero, with a proximity sensor and CDMA radio.

The Droid X is supposed to get an updated version of Blur, but, as of now, there are still not Blur phones with 2.1. The first updates should be available in the third quarter. Clearly, though, HTC has had a lot more experience with Android than Motorola.

19. Jareris

Jareris Well-Known Member

I want this phone. I HATE my Eris. Been nothing but issues since the GD update! I am not impressed with HTC phones thus far.

20. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I'm perfectly happy with my Eris. It has some shortcomings, sure. But I'm not expecting a ton from a phone with hardware that's nearly 2 years old. It serves its purpose. And works great for tethering, which is great at my grandparent's, because their satellite internet sucks (its slightly better than dial-up). Even with low signal on my phone, it vastly outperforms their internet.

And even with all these new phone, I just think, I may want a new phone now, but waiting will truly pay off. When I get an upgrade in a year and a half, phones out then will be leagues better than the best out now, and especially better than the Eris. An upgrade will really be like an upgrade.

21. T-Keith

T-Keith Well-Known Member

I think the only phones I like right now are the nexus one and the incredible. Both are similar to tyre eris which is to me the perfect form factor. If speed were the only factor I wouldn't gave gotten the eris. Overall I am pretty happy with my eris and I hope they have an even better phone out in two years when its time a new phone.

22. Romparoo

Romparoo Well-Known Member

I am not a fan at all of Motorola. Never have been and I am sure I never will be. For the most part I think they put little quality into their production of phones.

With this said, I am somewhat liking their Droid X. It looks well made and put together. I will never own one. I have never been a fan of a slide out key board and always shy away from phones with one, just not appealing to me. I need a full touch screen phone.

Like the Evo and HD2 (or whatever it is at T-Mobile) I think it is just way too big of a phone. I need something that can fit in my pocket easily. Most of my suit pants have a change pocket inside of my right front pocket, and every phone I have ever owned fits nicely in there, keeping it more secure in my pocket.

23. surgeon0214

surgeon0214 Well-Known Member

I'm stuck in contract for another year and 2 months.. im gonna die :(

24. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Well, FWIW, the Droid X does not have a slide-out keyboard - it is a full touch screen phone.

25. Romparoo

Romparoo Well-Known Member

I knew there was a reason why I liked this phone over the Droid!