OK... playtime's over. How good is Android for getting work done?

Last Updated:

1. Hydrated

Hydrated Member This Topic's Starter

I've been reading and researching for a while trying to decide what phone platform to buy. Dumb phone... smart phone... freaking brilliant phone?

So I've decided to go with a Samsung Captivate... I do a lot of business with AT&T, so I got the thing for free (I talked the rep down from the $50 he offered me at first).

So I see all of these posts for how to fix your GPS or video playback or music library organization... but I want to know this:

How are you using your Android phone to make money or save time on your job?

My situation is this... I have a full time 9-to-5 technical job, but I have a computer network consulting business that I run on the side. So if a client calls while I'm tied up, I have to stall them until I can get free to go on site. So any visit that I can avoid making in person is money in my pocket and time saved. And things like RDP, VNC, VPN access, and remote management tools are great.

How are you guys using your Android devices to perform work tasks quicker and more conveniently? Most of the work type productivity tools that I see are for stuff like contact management and sales stuff or mileage logs...

How about telling me how your Android phone helps you get your IT tasks done?

Advertisement
  2. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

No clue this is my play phone, but I want to work at your company that let's me skip out during the day to do my own stuff.

3. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

4. Hydrated

Hydrated Member This Topic's Starter

Hahaha... true... sounds good...

But there's a price to pay... I average 60 or 70 hours a week at my corporate job, and overtime pay is not an option. So the bosses know to never ever say anything to us as long as the customer is happy.

5. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

Its OK as a work phone. I log what I do on my calelrndar "meet with client x", "work on client y's problem" so i can get accurate time tracking as it seems that even though I work salary jobs someone always wants to know how much time I spend doing x or y or billible or non billable, etc. One of the major missing features is the ability to copy/paste a whole calendar entry so if I worked trouble tickets for 2 hours yeaterday I want to copy that and patse it into today then adjust to 3 hours. Another feature that Outlook and WIndows mobile had was the ability to link a contact to an appointment separtly from inviting that contact and another missing item is categories.
    With the iphone (unfortunatly) setting the standard I've noticed that the other major players, winmo, palm, android are all loosing features that they had that the iphone doesn't, they are all getting a little dumbed down.

6. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I use Android-VNC-Viewer with my Pentium II fileserver running Tight-VNC. Works great. I think any slowness might be because of the computer itself. I mean, it is about 12 years old.