Ok, seriously..

Last Updated:

1. Android Walks

Android Walks Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can someone pm me with DETAILED and somewhat easy to follow step-by-step instructions on how to root my moment?
    Or at least point me to a well said tutorial?

For some reason, every post I read seems way too vague...

Advertisement
  2. Podar

Podar Active Member

Here is what I used after LOTS of searching. There's a gobs of instructions and forums...which is a good thing.

Flashed to Joey's latest Kernel and Max's recovery 2.x with using this guide.

Great set of tips and tricks here.

After flashing I never did adb shell from my puter to the Moment tp remove apps. I just downloaded better terminal on my phone, went into adroid -removed apps using these instructions

Another great source is the "CHAT LIVE" link in red at the top of the page. I always rcvd immediate responses to questions I couldn't find on the boards. Remember that most of them are techs, so let them know if you're not.

Keep in mind when reading the guides/tutorials that the generous gurus on the forums advance their methods daily/hourly and keep everyone updated as they go. Keep researching and stick to it. It was worth the time spent. Hope I didn't muddy the waters too much for you.

3. kingleonidas

kingleonidas Active Member

hey man shoot me over an email at minimeofctown[at]gmail[dot][com], probably wont be able to help today because of school and everything but tomorrow i will be able too

4. hambonewc

hambonewc Well-Known Member

Might want to avoid posting your email on forums. I would delete that post as soon as possible unless you want your email address overtaken by Nigerian scammers. next time put ”[at] [dot] [com]” at the end of your email address instead of ”@.com”

5. Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, SDX-Developers is down right now, otherwise I'd point you in the right direction. I'm not sure if there's a way to download all the necessary files with their site down.

Rooting is actually very easy. It's intimidating because most of the guides are written by people who understand all the terminology. Even the "easy" guides are vague in some places.

This one, at least, is a good one, copied from a post at SDX-Developers:

http://androidforums.com/all-things...print-update-utility-flash-custom-kernel.html

But some places are vague. For instance, the first step is to "make a datatool backup." You can't do that until you're rooted. So it's dumb to put that as the first step, but the guide seems to be written from the standpoint of someone who has already rooted and installed a custom kernel and wants to install a NEW custom kernel over the old one.

Anyway. Breaking down the steps into plain english, here's what you're doing:

1. Download and install the update utility directly from Sprint. That update utility normally includes the CL14 update, which was released early this year to fix some problems with the Moment. If you bought your Moment after January, chances are you already have it (you can check by going to the home screen and selecting menu > settings > about phone and look for "CL14" somewhere near the bottom).
    2. You don't want to just run the update utility as-is. That will only wipe your phone and install the CL14 software, which you probably already have. Instead, you go in and remove the CL14 software and replace it with someone else's custom kernel. Your options are Zefie's, joeykrim's, or speedrabbit. I went with speedrabbit since it's just an extension of joeykrim's and because Zefie isn't updating his kernel anymore. But any of them should work great. You can download the kernels from SDX Developers, which again is down at the moment.
    3. Once you've put the new custom kernel in the old location where the CL14 update used to be, you run the Sprint update utility and follow all the instructions and it will root your phone. It only takes a few minutes!
    4. After that's done, you will also want to install Max's Recovery 2.0, an alternate set of software for recovery mode. Normally if you start up your phone while holding Volume Down, Talk, and End, it'll go into what's called recovery mode. Max's Recovery is a replacement for the stock recovery mode that is much more powerful. It lets you install custom themes and other stuff. I haven't done a lot with it yet but I did install a new theme using it. Anyway, you install Max's Recovery in the same way you installed the custom kernel. Just go into the right folder used by the Sprint update utility and put the file in there, then run the update utility again.

It'd be nice if SDX was up right now so you could check out some links, register an account there, etc. But for now this will have to do. Did this all make sense? Anything still confusing?

EDIT: One last thing. If you ever have trouble getting your computer to see your phone, you might need the USB drivers. You can get them by downloading and installing Samsung New PC Studio. The software itself is crap, but it includes drivers so it's useful anyway. I think there's a link on SDX Developers as well, or maybe you could get it from Samsung's site. I don't remember where I got it, but that's what you want to do to get USB drivers for the Moment.

EDIT 2: SDX is back up! Okay, try out those links Podar posted.

6. kingleonidas

kingleonidas Active Member

hey man thanks for the heads up dont really know what Nigerian scammers are lol

7. heathershipp

heathershipp Well-Known Member

They are the Gremlins that live in your closet and take over your e mail account while you're asleep :D

8. Android Walks

Android Walks Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so I can't do any of that because when I go into the update application on my PC, it doesn't detect my phones drivers. Even when I manually installed the Samsung drivers and still doesn't recognize them.

9. Jack321

Jack321 Active Member

I don't know if this will help but I could not connect at first and I kept ...

remove/replace the battery>goto download mode>plug in usb in a different port

... until it recognized it.

After that I had no problems.