OK, so weather widget with 2.1.....General

Last Updated:

1. jayochs

jayochs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How many people here are having an issue with the clock/built in weather widget here? I for one am. It force closes, thereby rendering it useless and freezing everything up.

Anyone find any solutions yet? I really love that clock widget and want to keep it up there with updated weather, grr!

**fix for force close problem on weather widget on 2.1!**

believe i just fixed thbis problem..

goto applications, sort by name. goto "weather provider" and clear data.

then, i added my widget again. i tapped it, but the clock came up instead of weather. on the desk clock, tap the area under the clock where the weather WOULD be. then you have to add a city. i just added trenton, because it's in NJ, and it wasn't picking up my GPS location yet....after adding that, a few seconds later it realized where i was via GPS, then bam, i refreshed and everything was fine and no more crashing!

Advertisement
    briansrt, JDG63, VZWDroidEris and 3 others like this.
  2. Tooleman694

Tooleman694 Well-Known Member

I love it..

3. jayochs

lol i love it too. that's why it's unfortunate it won't work with 2.1 when it worked so well with 1.5 :(

4. Tooleman694

Tooleman694 Well-Known Member

Reinstall it..

5. jayochs

how so? i didn't know you could??

6. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

I'm on the 2.1v3 leak and it has worked fine for me. Have you already installed many applications? The reason I ask, is perhaps a hard reset of your phone would help. You will remain on 2.1, but you will lose anything that is not backed up; applications, settings, personalizations, etc. If all of your contacts are "google contacts" they will be restored when your phone syncs with Google/GMail.

Ok, that is a little more drastic than reinstalling the application. Sorry. :)

7. jayochs

So by hard reset, do you mean factory reset? I always was under the assumption "hard reset" was pulling the battery out while on.

How would I go about uninstalling/reinstalling this app alone, though?

8. txeris

txeris Well-Known Member

works fine w/ my OTA

9. coolerinthecorner

coolerinthecorner Well-Known Member

The HTC weather app only works when you've got your Google account set to automatically sync and location and gps ON. Otherwise it's a buggy app that rarely works correctly. It looks sooo... cool but it just doesn't work very well. Go to the market and get a better app. It'll drive you crazy eventually. On 1.5 or on 2.1. it's still not worth the headaches. Just my opinion.

10. jayochs

Nah that didn't help.i had everything set to sync. It still force closes

11. itbedave

itbedave Well-Known Member

FWIW - I'm having the same problem after just doing the OTA update on my wife's Eris. The widget appears fine, but if you tap the weather part, the actual HTC weather app errors out and crashes. Worked fine before. Works fine on my Incredible.

12. CXXV

CXXV Well-Known Member

Yeah the weather widget is all messed up with 2.1 It also will not ever give me the "more details online" message any more.

13. Hercules

Hercules Well-Known Member

Mine is fine with 2.1 OTA. No problems here.

14. cmajpwc

cmajpwc Well-Known Member

Really? Is this different on 2.1 than 1.5? Cause I'm still on 1.5 and I don't have my Google account set to automatically sync, and my weather app still updates...

15. jayochs

believe i just fixed thbis problem..

goto applications, sort by name. goto "weather provider" and clear data.

then, i added my widget again. i tapped it, but the clock came up instead of weather. on the desk clock, tap the area under the clock where the weather WOULD be. then you have to add a city. i just added trenton, because it's in NJ, and it wasn't picking up my GPS location yet....after adding that, a few seconds later it realized where i was via GPS, then bam, i refreshed and everything was fine and no more crashing!

IndyRoadie and jps like this.
  16. jps

jps Well-Known Member

:eek: indeed you did! EXCELLENT! :D if i could hit that thanks button 100 times i would. for real though thanks a lot! worked perfect.

17. jayochs

=D i'm just as excited as you! haha believe me, it's awesome, i'm so glad to have it back instead of having that silly tiny looking clock! woot woot

18. dmokeler

dmokeler Member

Thanks! That definately fixed the problem on my end. Must have been some corrupted data i guess

19. itbedave

itbedave Well-Known Member

Yep - that fixed it on my wife's Eris too! Thanks much!

On mine, I had to power off and power it back on to get it to update to current location - but other than that - no more crashing!

20. jayochs

Guys, I woke up this morning and there was no weather data...it also said "could not retrieve data" when i refreshed....i wonder if this is because i turned off autosync? i had to reset my phone, and the data then refreshed...so i turned autosync on for weather only. any thoughts?

21. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

yes auto sync has to be on for weather for me as well to work, otherwise get the same error message.. 2.1 OTA manual upgrade from 1.5

22. jayochs

Gotcha. okay i have auto sync on ONLY for my weather. I don't need the other stuff auto synced, because i don't want to waste battery. cool! glad it helped you guys :D

23. terryh1949

terryh1949 New Member

Clear weather provider data fixed mine as well. When asked to find a city, type in New York and then hit the update bar on left and all will be well as soon as GPS picks up your location. I have auto-sync turned off.

24. HSB

HSB Active Member

before the OTA if you tapped the weather it brought you to the weather screen. it used to be when you tapped "weather" it brought you to accuweather and you could find hourly forecasts, etc. etc. i tape weather now and nothing happens. called HTC and they said no longer available. can anyone recommend another weather app or widget that works with hourly forecasts. i don't want something to book mark.
    thanks

25. Peaser

Peaser Well-Known Member

That's why I love this forum! That worked! Thanks!