1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

OK to delete free versions after upgrading to pay versions?

Last Updated:

1. smg65

smg65 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

New to smartphones. Please excuse the noob question. Example: Just bought Picsay Pro. I see the free version is still on the phone. Can I delete it, or does the Pro version utilize and build on the free one? Another example is Documents to Go.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Uninstall the free version :)

Harry

3. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Either way will work. Usually, if the app needs the free one uninstalled, it will automatically do it before installing the upgraded version.

4. greyparrot

greyparrot Member

Be very careful, some paid versions just unlock the free version. Example PowerAmp, Mixzing, Etc.

5. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Yup. Depends on the app. There's no one-size-fits-all answer. If in doubt, check with the developer or read up on the app in question. In my experience it's usually fairly clear when the free and paid versions are different versus the "unlocking" approach.

6. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

All depends on the app.

Some you need to keep the free version- Libra, ROM manager, battery left, etc.

Some you can delete the free version - photoid, app alarm, photo unlocker, etc

7. smg65

smg65 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks! I'll be careful about it. I suppose checking file size in Astro will provide a hint as well. For instance, both Picsay files are similar in size, while the premium file downloaded for Documents to go is very small. It's probably an "unlocking" file only.

I'll definitely read up on the apps and/or check with developers. Thanks again for the quick responses!