• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root OK to delete PG05IMG.zip file after successful root?

Sorry for looking mixed up in the posts.
Allow me to rephrase.
I have completed all the steps and at the end I rebooted using the command line given adb reboot bootloader. When the came up it sit at I believe fastboot or HBOOT (not sure which was first) but when I selected one it brought me to the other in the top line of this post (HBOOT or FASTBOOT). I then just rebooted when I saw that it didn't like the IMG file. So I got a working phone with everything working but had to re-load a couple of apps but don't have root. The above posts was what I was working on this am to try to fix and get root. I started at step 4. Hope this helps clear it up.

Upvote 0
any luck with this?

now that i am home and read thru your posts a lil more carefully,im pretty sure i know whats happened,so hopefully you can confirm it.

you are becoming confused with this step:
Now, reboot your phone, rename PG05IMG_stock.zip as PG05IMG.zip and put on your SD card. Then flash it. This will upgrade you to release firmware with an S-OFF bootloader.

looking at your session,looks like you confirmed the s-off bootloader,wrote it,then confirmed its proper write,wich is good. the part that you are getting confused is the "reboot your phone" part.

after you get the md5 the second time(6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb /dev/block/mmcblk0p18) you need to type
Code:
exit

then you need to physically reboot your phone by holding the power on until you see the "power off menu" and then you need to select restart. let the phone completely boot,then skip past all the sign in stuff so you can ensure usb debugging is still checked on,and you can put the phone in disc drive mode. at this point you move the "upgrade RUU"(its not a stock RUU. its modified to have root acess) and rename it PG05IMG. then you can enter the
Code:
adb devices
adb reboot bootloader
wich will take you to fastboot. press power to select "bootloader"(wich is hboot) and it should find and flash the file.

by not rebooting between the last commands you entered,and booting to hboot,the engineering bootloader didnt overwrite the stock s-on bootloader.it does this during the reboot. the s-on bootloader WILL NOT even acknowledge the modified RUU as an option,as it is not signed by HTC. so it wont unpack,check,or anything.basically like its not there.

as i mentioned in the post above,your s-off bootloader hopefully was written during one of your subsequent reboots trying flash the upgrade RUU. if you havent yet,power off,then power on holding volume down,and it should take you to hboot screen where hopefully you will see "s-off" up at the top. if you do,move the PG05IMG upgrade RUU back to the root of your SD card,and boot to hboot again.

if you still see s-on,you will need to redo all of step 6. if you get errors, you may have to start in the middle of step 4(Push wpthis, busybox, and psnueter). youll want be careful here,as the "downgrade RUU" is buggy and flashing the wrong signed RUU overtop of it could cause the "security warning" to flash. carefully procede at step 6,or back to the middle of step 4 if you have to,so you can get off of this buggy firmware.

last and not least,you werent seeing any root access when you bootedto a working phone,since you had no busybox,and no superuser app/access. this is all added in the upgrade RUU.

heres a cut and paste of mine here,for folks that may be having trouble in the future:
Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Scott>[COLOR="Red"]adb devices[/COLOR]
List of devices attached
HT126S005970    device

C:\Users\Scott>[COLOR="red"]cd c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables[/COLOR]

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>[COLOR="red"]adb push psneuter /data/local/[/COLOR]
1214 KB/s (585731 bytes in 0.471s)

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>[COLOR="red"]adb push busybox /data/local/[/COLOR]
1146 KB/s (1062992 bytes in 0.905s)

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>[COLOR="red"]adb push misc.img /data/local/[/COLOR]
1462 KB/s (262144 bytes in 0.175s)

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>[COLOR="red"]adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/psneuter[/COLOR]

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>[COLOR="red"]adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/busybox[/COLOR]

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>[COLOR="red"]adb shell[/COLOR]
$ [COLOR="red"]/data/local/psneuter[/COLOR]
/data/local/psneuter
property service neutered.
killing adbd. (should restart in a second or two)

#[COLOR="red"] /data/local/busybox md5sum /data/local/misc.img[/COLOR]
/data/local/busybox md5sum /data/local/misc.img
c88dd947eb3b36eec90503a3525ae0de  /data/local/misc.img
#[COLOR="red"] dd if=/data/local/misc.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17[/COLOR]
dd if=/data/local/misc.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17
512+0 records in
512+0 records out
262144 bytes transferred in 0.112 secs (2340571 bytes/sec)
# [COLOR="red"]exit[/COLOR]
exit

[COLOR="Blue"]manually move downgrade RUU to SD card[/COLOR]

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>[COLOR="red"]adb reboot bootloader[/COLOR]

[COLOR="blue"]hboot flashes downgrade RUU,reboot[/COLOR]

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>[COLOR="red"]adb devices[/COLOR]
List of devices attached
HT126S005970    device

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>[COLOR="red"]adb push psneuter /data/local/[/COLOR]
1440 KB/s (585731 bytes in 0.397s)

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>[COLOR="red"]adb push busybox /data/local/[/COLOR]
1693 KB/s (1062992 bytes in 0.613s)

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>[COLOR="red"]adb push wpthis /data/local/[/COLOR]
1134 KB/s (679475 bytes in 0.585s)

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>[COLOR="red"]adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/psneuter[/COLOR]

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>[COLOR="red"]adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/busybox[/COLOR]

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>[COLOR="red"]adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/wpthis[/COLOR]

$ [COLOR="red"]/data/local/psneuter[/COLOR]
/data/local/psneuter
property service neutered.
killing adbd. (should restart in a second or two)

#[COLOR="red"] /data/local/wpthis[/COLOR]
/data/local/wpthis
Build: 25
Section header entry size: 40
Number of section headers: 45
Total section header table size: 1800
Section header file offset: 0x00014e90 (85648)
Section index for section name string table: 42
String table offset: 0x00014cc7 (85191)
Searching for .modinfo section...
 - Section[16]: .modinfo
 -- offset: 0x00000f80 (3968)
 -- size: 0x000000c4 (196)
Kernel release: 2.6.32.21-g2447a8d
New .modinfo section size: 204
Loading module... OK.
Write protect disabled.
Searching for mmc_blk_issue_rq symbol...
 - Address: c02d3114, type: t, name: mmc_blk_issue_rq, module: N/A
Kernel map base: 0xc02d3000
Kernel memory mapped to 0x40001000
Searching for brq filter...
 - Address: 0xc02d3114 + 0x34c
 - 0x2a000012 -> 0xea000012
Done.
# [COLOR="Red"]exit[/COLOR]
exit

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>[COLOR="red"]adb push hbooteng.nb0 /data/local/[/COLOR]
1656 KB/s (1048576 bytes in 0.618s)

#[COLOR="red"] /data/local/busybox md5sum /data/local/hbooteng.nb0[/COLOR]
/data/local/busybox md5sum /data/local/hbooteng.nb0
6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb  /data/local/hbooteng.nb0
#[COLOR="red"] dd if=/data/local/hbooteng.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18[/COLOR]
dd if=/data/local/hbooteng.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out
1048576 bytes transferred in 0.477 secs (2198272 bytes/sec)
#[COLOR="red"] /data/local/busybox md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p18[/COLOR]
/data/local/busybox md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p18
6991368ee2deaf182048a3ed9d3c0fcb  /dev/block/mmcblk0p18
#

[COLOR="blue"]manually reboot phone.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="blue"]manually move upgrade RUU to SD card.[/COLOR]

List of devices attached
HT126S005970    device

[COLOR="blue"]hboot flash upgrade RUU,reboot[/COLOR]

List of devices attached
HT126S005970    device

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>[COLOR="red"]adb reboot recovery[/COLOR]

c:\android-sdk-windows\flashables>
note that black is output text in the command window,red is what i copy/pasted or typed,and blue is simply notes i added in to make it a little less confusing.

Reactions: WormDoes
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones