• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ok to root Note before service activation?

aloerose

Lurker
Sep 13, 2013
I just received my used Note 2 N700 in the mail. I will be activating service through straight talk. Is it ok for me to root my phone before I activate service? Would this disrupt the activation process in any way? What about installing a custom ROM? Although I've had some experience, I am still a novice in these areas and I chose to err on the side of caution.
Also, any helpful information regarding straight talk compatibility would be greatly appreciated. From what I've read so far, it seems like the ST AT&T SIM card is my best bet. Again, I am cautious and don't want to end up with less than ideal service, or even worse, and incompatible SIM card.
I appreciate any help you guys are able to give me!
~Aloe

Prepaidguy, im curious what area/state your in. Reason I ask is aio has no store where I am in illinois. I tried ordering a sim for my note 2 and a phone for my son. I got a error saying my credit card does not match my zip code. I have never ran in to this before. I called my bank to make sure all matched and of course it does. I chatted with two of thier help people and they could not figure it out. Would love to use thier service. But cant get past this order thing. I know they are national now. So that should not be it. But, Im starting to think it might be.?

Upvote 0
Prepaidguy, im curious what area/state your in. Reason I ask is aio has no store where I am in illinois. I tried ordering a sim for my note 2 and a phone for my son. I got a error saying my credit card does not match my zip code. I have never ran in to this before. I called my bank to make sure all matched and of course it does. I chatted with two of thier help people and they could not figure it out. Would love to use thier service. But cant get past this order thing. I know they are national now. So that should not be it. But, Im starting to think it might be.?

They should be national.
Their customer service is hit or miss.
I am in florida onr of the launch states, got in at launch but still no store around me either.

Best advice I can give is perhaps sign up for a credit card and use it to buy. But I dont know if that would work.

I heard of a guy in alaska bought a sim through his freind in tx another launch state and was able to keep buying time. But if ur card is erroring I would be afraid that would happen with your time too.

Gosh aio, shut up and take this mans money lol.

Try calling again and ask for a supervisor.
Try another card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones