• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Ok very basic questions here

tgulch22

Android Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2010
Perrysburg, OH
Ok, I am fairly new to rooting. I rooted my Eris using the no computer method and then was able to download and install all kinds of different ROMs.

However doing research on rooting the SF, there seems to be lots of different ways. Everything from the one step method here How to Root - Android Forums
to the odin and clockwork method here Clockworkmod installation how to for windows / *nix - xda-developers....

But none of them seem to be simple enough for a noob like me to understand (i understand the process, but not past the rooting). Can I do either method to install custom roms on there. Basically I want to run Launcher pro and not have all the bloat ware on the phone. (VZ stuff, bing, cityID)

I love the phone the way I have it (running LPP instead of Touchwiz) but I know how much faster and better my eris ran after rooting.

So I discovered, I think, how to root without a problem...
using http://androidforums.com/fascinate-all-things-root/257548-rooting-fascinate-regardless-os-version.html.

Now that being said, I guess the real confusion comes with the kernels and roms. Do I need to install something else once i finish the above process or will my phone operate normal and I will be able to remove the stock programs I dont want? Do i have to install a whole ROM like I had to with the Eris?

What is the whole thing i read about matched Kernels and ROM's? This is the part that confuses me. I think I got the how to root part down pretty good following that thread up there, but it is part after "congratulations, you are rooted" That I dont understand what I need to do or not do.

Upvote 0
Ok lots of people have viewed it but no one has commented...I am impatient..so I decided after lots of research and bouncing from one forum to another im gonna do it...
my plan

Astro to back up all my apps

then odin and clockwork and su busybox+....

then do a nandroid backup

Then flash radio to Dj05 from odin

Then flash the stupidfast dj05 kernel from clockwork
then flash the superdark dj05 ROM in clockwork

Then restore my apps from astro...

hopefully having a rooted dj05 fascinate after this...

does anyone see any issues with the way I have this planned out???
then have a rooted

Upvote 0
Alright not a bad plan but here is what I do First off I use titanium to do my backup, flash to stock with odin, go through the motions to get to the rom you want. Kernels and other crap are not a must as long as the rom you are flashing is good. Ifyou are using a I9000 rom you may have modem issues if you do find one that works for you. Also I do not do nandroids or any of that for the fact that it does nothing for you after you reach a certain point like flashing kernels and other crap any backup I have tried to restore was messed up and forced close everything or just wouldn't restore, its just as easy to reflash a rom, not sure for your device but I use Kies to get to Jh7 so any updates Samsung put out you could stick that in before flashing 2.2 if you need help we are here, it must be a slow night on the forum.

Upvote 0
ok thanks...I will get thr titanium and back up with that also. now as far as kernels, I am running Di01 stock. (full of the bloat). I read that people are having issues with the samsung overwriting the CW before you can apply the update.zip if you dont apply the kernel you want the first time you boot into CW.

So based off this would I boot into Recovery and flash the update.zip and the dj05 kernel at the same time..and then go back into pushing the dj05 radio via odin after i do the kernel and SU flashes?

I want to go to the dj05 because it seems the ROM i want is best made for the dj05, but from reading I think I have to do all three the rom, kernel, and radio at dj05 for anything to work right...

Upvote 0
ok rooted no problem...got the SU and phone started back up...I took a chance and flashed the kernel at the same time i applied update.zip....then after it all started i went back into odin and pushed the dj05 radio...

I am now doing a factory, cache resets and then going to flash the rom and see how it all pans out...I do have the stock di01 package downloaded already to be flashed if this doesnt pan out well...

thanks for the advice..and especially thanks to all the authors and contributors to the forums in general...it took LOTS of research and surfing but I think I found everything I needed...thanks to all

Upvote 0
ok rooted no problem...got the SU and phone started back up...I took a chance and flashed the kernel at the same time i applied update.zip....then after it all started i went back into odin and pushed the dj05 radio...

I am now doing a factory, cache resets and then going to flash the rom and see how it all pans out...I do have the stock di01 package downloaded already to be flashed if this doesnt pan out well...

thanks for the advice..and especially thanks to all the authors and contributors to the forums in general...it took LOTS of research and surfing but I think I found everything I needed...thanks to all

Should we always have di01.zip on sd card in case something goes wrong? or is that something that can be done later?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones