OK where do i start again...

Last Updated:

1. R1OT

R1OT Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I tried the pc free rooting method and of course, I got the trackball issue. So... I tried to put in clockword and it goes to the 3 green droids and freezes. My question how do i start from scratch. I really want to root but its becoming more cumbersome by the minute.

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

How long was the screen up with the three androids?

Often that first boot will take a very long time, ten minutes or more, and that particular screen is the one that seems hung, even though things are working in the background (a lot of code, a lot of new information for the device to parse).

3. R1OT

Hmm..guess I'll try again wasn't aware of the long boot time. Will try once more and let you know.

4. R1OT

ok 20 mins have past and still same screen

5. Frisco

I'm now wondering about the other steps in the process, such as wiping "factory," dalvik and sd:ext.

Can you post all of the steps you've taken from start to the frozen boot screen?

6. R1OT

I did all the steps up to using amon recovery and found out my trackball didn't work. So I replaced the recovery.img file in gscript redid the root1 and root2...tried to reboot into clockword recovery and here i sit. All is not lost tho..if i removed the battery and restart its a normal phone again.

7. Frisco

Good that your device is working fine.

If rooting is what you want for it, I'd recommend another method, of the several out there. It seems that not all ways of going about it go smoothly for some Erises (most often having nothing at all to do with the user; the Eris is notorious for having spotty quality).

I still think the old way is the best because it gives the user a better understanding of what's happening. Other users will guide you in another direction of the many, and they're all good; it's just a matter of finding the one that works for you.

If you want to try the old rooting method, labled as for the 1.5 but also works for 2.1, here is the post with the steps:

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html

Take it nice and slowly, read through the steps before beginnnig, etc. This was my method.

8. R1OT

And just to be clear once its rooted in this method I can go to any other rom out there. There is a few I have been keeping my eye on. Just not sure which once I will enjoy in everyday use.

9. Frisco

That's the beauty of rooting, my friend. You can go anywhere you want to with it.. xtrROM, Aloysius, any Froyo, etc.

Yesterday, when I decided to recover my xtrROM 3.0.3 after testing Kaos v30 for several days, I realized I'd flashed 14 ROMs into this device since rooting several weeks ago.

Some have done more, but thinking about it, that's a lot of OS changes for a device, and things just keep rolling along fine.

10. lukesdiesel

lukesdiesel Well-Known Member

I think I am on my 10th or 11th ROM. LOL

11. R1OT

Ok the link you gave me for the manual root still uses the amon recovery. This doesnt work because of my trackball issue.

12. Frisco

13. R1OT

This one click method uses Amon's Recovery as well.. looks like there still working on another option for use trackball deficient users.

Its just too bad there isn't a software fix since the trackball does go from side to side in the programs menu, I guess next step would be to possibly try to get a replacement with a working trackball.

14. Frisco

I'd say so, R1OT. I'm sorry those methods all failed for your device.. but take heart, some refurbs are turning out to be good lately. Post back about it. ;)

15. R1OT

Go figure I was able to reflash a Samsung Omnia several times with no issues. And this one is kicking my ace.

16. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

If it were me, that's what I would do.

17. eghill1125

eghill1125 Well-Known Member

If I may ask... what is this trackball issue? It isn't moving in a recovery mode or it doesn't click to push in? Sorry if I have missed what it is in here..

18. R1OT

The trackball will scroll side to side but not up and down...in recovery and in the regular sence UI

19. eghill1125

and your volume down button will not let you choose to reflash in recovery also?

I ask only because my wife's Eris will not use the trackball when I am flashing a new rom on it and I have to use the volume button to navigate the menu up and down and the End button to push when needed to click on something..

20. R1OT

Were you using Amon's or Clockwork...because clockwork does use the vol up and down.

21. eghill1125

Amons... I used the Gscript root found on here somewhere for hers and the ADB push root on mine and they comeup differently on both of ours. Mine the trackball does everything and hers it doesn't do anything in recovery..

22. R1OT

After some tooling around I discovered that only the down doesn't work on the trackball...Ever other direction works just fine. Its too bad the menu doesn't scroll back from the top to the bottom...sigh...

23. Frisco

Do you feel like it's time to replace the device yet?

24. R1OT

Well I went to the store today and the tech (if you could call him that) suggested using a bit of rubbing alcohol and rolling the ball into it. But that hasn't seemed to work. Contemplating if its worth the time to send it back since my local fed ex driver figures he can put the note on the door that he missed me before knocking.

25. Frisco

Alcohol wipes are good for cleaning the trackball regularly.

But if that does not remedy odd behavior, you're likely in need of another visit to the store, or better, to a different Verizon store.