• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ok who wants to downgrade? (Pssst...look here if you do) LOL!

I get android market issues all the time when switching from wifi to non wifi. In order to "fix" that problem, i would either have to be connect to wifi. Or if i wasn't on wifi, i'd have to disable wifi. The market wasn't the only thing that'd be screwy, but that's the main one. If you have custom recovery installed, you could try flashing to zero rom which is here:

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-m/256095-rom-zero-1-0-a.html

Upvote 0
Got a persistent issue here. Before I upgraded to 2.2.1 on my Lg optimus M, I had it rooted with Z4 root. But I always had an issue with the market. It would keep saying that the process android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly. It occurs whenever the app from the market is starting to install.

I have found a rather annoying way to get around it and still install the app, but I figured it was just something stupid with the phone. so I upgraded and it did fix it.

But the lack of root made me downgrade back, I hacked it the same way, deleted stock metro apps again, and the issue has returned... any helpful suggestions?

That bolded sentence is the key. By rooting and deleting the issue appeared. By "upgrading" and not being able to delete apps willy nilly, the issue went away. :p

WHICH stock Metro apps did you delete? We all want "bloat" gone, but you have to know what is safe to delete and what is not.

For instance, you cannot delete the Metro browser.
It will cause problems with the market. You cannot even delete the Metro browser and then replace it back with the Metro browser which you may have saved somewhere. You can install as many other browsers as you wish and make one of them the default (I have 3 browsers on my phone), but you cannot delete the MetroWEB browser off the phone. It has to stay.

You cannot delete "Talk". It will cause the market to not work also.

The only "Metro" apps you can safely delete are the Metro apps you find in the Metro apps market and the 3rd party apps put on there by LG.

Here's a post from RichieDaze below that spells it all out. Only the stuff towards the bottom -- the last two categories -- should be even be messing with, unless you are a developer.

It's RichieDaze' post, but my comments are in blue. In double checking the list, I found one Metro app which had been left out of the list. I added it. It's in blue too, as that's also my "comment". ;)

I have broken down the /system/app folder for a better understanding.

NOTE:
-Android bare system, Android system standard extras, Lg Optimizations are signed with LG's private keys.
-Lg Google enhanced rom package are from google and signed with Google's private keys.
-Lg included 3rd party apks are partnered with LG and are signed by their partners private keys.
-Metro package apks are signed by MetroPCS by their private keys.

Here is the list of applications aka .apk (Android PacKage)'s

Android Bare system:
AccountAndSyncSettings.apk
ApplicationsProvider.apk
Bluetooth.apk--------------------->Replaced by BrcmBluetoothServices.apk
Browser.apk (Don't delete. Market will not work. ChazzMatt)
Camera.apk
CameraApp.apk
CertInstaller.apk
Contacts.apk
ContactsProvider.apk
DefaultContainerService.apk
DownloadProvider.apk
DrmProvider.apk
ExternalMemoryTest.apk
Gallery3D.apk
HTMLViewer.apk
LatinIME.apk
Launcher2.apk-------------------->Replaced by LGHome.apk
MediaProvider.apk
Mms.apk
Music.apk
NetworkLocation.apk
PackageInstaller.apk
Phone.apk (Do NOT delete this. Chazz.)
PicoTts.apk
RSSViewerWidget.apk
Settings.apk (Do NOT delete this. Chazz.)
SettingsProvider.apk (Do NOT delete this. Chazz.)
SetupWizard.apk
SoundRecorder.apk
Stk.apk
TelephonyProvider.apk
TtsService.apk
UserDictionaryProvider.apk
VoiceDialer.apk
VpnServices.apk

Android system standard extras:
Calculator.apk
Calendar.apk
CalendarProvider.apk
CalendarWidget.apk
CarHome.apk
CarHomeLauncher.apk
ClockWeatherWidget.apk
DeskClock.apk
Email.apk
LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
Protips.apk

Lg Google enhanced rom package:
Gmail.apk
GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleFeedback.apk
GooglePartnerSetup.apk
GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
Maps.apk
MarketUpdater.apk
MediaUploader.apk
Street.apk
Talk.apk (Don't delete. Market will not work. ChazzMatt)
Vending.apk
VoiceSearch.apk
YouTube.apk

Lg Optimizations:
AnalogClockWidget.apk
BookmarksWidget.apk
CDGHiddenMenu.apk
DigitalAlarmWidget.apk
DualClockWidget.apk
DunServer.apk
HiddenSdCard.apk
Homeselector.apk
LiveWallpapers.apk
LgHiddenMenu.apk
LGHome.apk
LGMS690_UNO_DEMO_V3.0.8_Build308_11022010.apk
LGSetupWizard.apk
MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
MemoWidget.apk
MessageWidget.apk
MoviePlayer.apk
Mvpdm.apk
MyExtras.apk
OPP.apk
PhotoWidget.apk
PowerOff.apk
SNS.apk
VisualizationWallpapers.apk
WapService.apk

=======================
(Starting here and below is are mostly safe to delete. But some apps listed below are useful. They are not "bloatware". Also, there is the Metro Hidden Menu which I would't touch. Chazz)

Lg included 3rd party apks:
Boingo_Wi-Fi.apk (Boingo wi-fi subscription service)
Loopt.apk (Loopt location service which tells people exactly where you are.)
Mocospace-1.2.4.apk (Moco Space)
Swype.apk (Swype keyboard functionality which lets you "type" fast on software virtual keyboard. Useful, don't delete. ChazzMatt)
thinkdroid.apk (Think Free Office. Useful, don't delete. Lets you view Microsoft Office files, TIFF and PDF files. ChazzMatt)

Metro package:
EasyWiFiandroid.apk (Useful, don't delete. ChazzMatt)
LGMS690_MetroNavigator_4.9.1_Build_64_12032010_rel_signed_PROD.apk (Metro Navigator)
Metro411.apk (Metro 411 free directory service)
metroappstore-v1.3a.apk (Metro app store)
metroBACKUP.apk (Metro contacts backup)
MetropcsHiddenMenu.apk (I wouldn't delete this. Chazz.)
MetropcsHiddenMenu.odex (I wouldn't delete this. Chazz.)
MobileBanking.apk (Mobile Banking)
MobilePosse.apk - MyExtras (My Extras)
MPCS-MobileIM-0.4.24.2.apk (Mobile IM)
MVC.MetroPCS.android02.apk (Virtual Card)
PEX-3.1.1.1-metro-rc.apk (Pocket Express)
PGA_Metro_v2.apk (Free Games which are not free)
z7-android2x.apk (Mail@Metro)

So, towards the bottom there's like 13 or 14 apps you can safely delete. The other stuff I would keep.

Upvote 0
That bolded sentence is the key. By rooting and deleting the issue appeared. By "upgrading" and not being able to delete apps willy nilly, the issue went away. :p

WHICH stock Metro apps did you delete? We all want "bloat" gone, but you have to know what is safe to delete and what is not.

For instance, you cannot delete the Metro browser.
It will cause problems with the market. You cannot even delete the Metro browser and then replace it back with the Metro browser which you may have saved somewhere. You can install as many other browsers as you wish and make one of them the default (I have 3 browsers on my phone), but you cannot delete the MetroWEB browser off the phone. It has to stay.

You cannot delete "Talk". It will cause the market to not work also.

The only "Metro" apps you can safely delete are the Metro apps you find in the Metro apps market and the 3rd party apps put on there by LG.

Here's a post from RichieDaze below that spells it all out. Only the stuff towards the bottom -- the last two categories -- should be even be messing with, unless you are a developer.

It's RichieDaze' post, but my comments are in blue. In double checking the list, I found one Metro app which had been left out of the list. I added it. It's in blue too, as that's also my "comment". ;)

So, towards the bottom there's like 13 or 14 apps you can safely delete. The other stuff I would keep.

Well that bites.... I never use the Metro browser so I said bye to that both times, and for some reason, the gmail processor decided it wasnt going to work after this root and so I got rid of gmail because I rarely ever use it and it wasnt going to stop force closing. I did delete the metro wifi app, because I have another wifi app that I prefer (Is it necessary for anything?) The rest of the apps I deleted just because I dont want them:

Browser.apk
Music.apk (use zimly instead)
RSSViewerWidget.apk
Calculator.apk (use scientific one from market)
Calender Widget
CarHome & Launcher
Email & Gmail (originally I kept both)
Maps.apk
Street.apk
Uno Demo
MemoWidget.apk
MessageWidget.apk
MoviePlayer.apk
My Extras
SNS
Boingo Wifi
LOOPT
Mocospace
Metro Navigator
Metro411
Metro Backup
Mobile Banking
Mobile IM
Virtual Play Card
Pocket Express
And of course, the free games which arent free.

And one other question. I deleted the stock messaging app and replaced it with Handcent from the Market, and everything worked fine except for MMS messages..... I do want to get rid of the stock messaging app, but Id like to if there is any work around or anything before I do; or if I should.

Upvote 0
I did delete the metro wifi app, because I have another wifi app that I prefer (Is it necessary for anything?)

Some of the apps you listed you probably can delete. I'm just nervous deleting apps actually put in there by Google as stuff is tied together in ways we may not understand. Like "Talk" is somehow tied to the Market functionality. Remove it, and the Market becomes wonky. Why? Ask Google.

I also see you deleted both Google Maps AND Metro Naviagator? I agree that having both is redundant but I would keep one of them. I kept Google Maps as it's better.

The email app can be used for your gmail account instead of the specific gmail app. AND when using the email app instead of gmail app for gmail, all emails show up as separate emails instead of the annoying clustered threads the web gmail does. :) I use the gmail app, but a friend uses the email app for her gmail account for that reason.

The Easy Wi-Fi is not necessary but it is useful. It gives access to over 500,000 free hotspots nationwide, from a database. It's not really a "MetroPCS" app, it's a 3rd party app that even comes on iPhones. Metro just slapped their name on it as it also covers wi-fi hotspots that have agreements with Metro. So, it's Metro's version of Easy Wi-Fi....

Easy WiFi - Home

Easy wifi isn't by a random unknown developer. It's by a company called Devicescape and I've been using their app for a while now, previously on my Nokia N95. It allows you to log into known wifi zones without the hassle of actually having to log in (you pre-configure your known ones) and each time you enter one of the zones you get logged in. It was better on the N95 as it ran as a small background app and so automatically detected when you were in one of your zones, without having to launch the app, as you do on the iPhone. However, launching an app is a lot easier than having to remember and type login details.

I use it at Starbucks and a lot of other wifi zones and it works well.

I was in a shopping plaza parking lot last night using my phone and I had access to one of the free hotspots! I don't know which store it was broadcasting from, but I didn't care. Automatically logged me and everything. Wi-Fi speed is MUCH better than Metro's "1X" internet speed. Being connected to Wi-Fi makes the phone function much better! If you delete Easy Wi-Fi, you do not have access to all those wi-fi hot spots.

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-m/243782-metropcs-goes-mad-free-wi-fi.html

Upvote 0
I strongly disagree for the reasons I listed. It's very useful.

Meh..all I noticed it did was just remember passwords, and the last wifi you were connected to.....but....the regular wifi does the same thing..and works just as well without it....i got rid of it, and my battery drains half more slow now while connected to the wifi. plus.. it isn't that hard to go into the settings and search for a wifi hotspot, and connect to it..I rather save my battery, but HEY!!.. if you like it...that's awesome...we all have different opinions...and keep up the good work with the advice..you are real thorough, and that is good

Upvote 0
Then you are VERY misinformed.

diagram_product_mfgs02.gif

AT&T even puts this on iPhones. It's made by Devicescape. If it's good enough for iPhones...

If Metro didn't put it on our Androids, you probably would go find it and then brag about the FANTASTIC app you just installed. :D But because Metro put it on there you assume it's bloatware. :thinking: You don't seem to understand what it really does.

Meh..all I noticed it did was just remember passwords, and the last wifi you were connected to.....but....the regular wifi does the same thing..and works just as well without it....i got rid of it, and my battery drains half more slow now while connected to the wifi. plus.. it isn't that hard to go into the settings and search for a wifi hotspot, and connect to it..I rather save my battery, but HEY!!.. if you like it...that's awesome...we all have different opinions...and keep up the good work with the advice..you are real thorough, and that is good

It doesnt just "search" for a wi-fi hotspot. Every time you say that it shows how you don't seem to have a clue about the real functionality. It has a nationwide database of wi-fi hotspots (that are constantly being upadated) and automatically logs you in. :) Go to Starbucks or even nearby Starbucks? You are automatically logged in. Without this program you cannot log in unless you jump through Starbucks hoops. (which involves opening a browser and connnecting, unless you use this program to connect you). Also many "free" hotspots still normally require you to register and get a user name and password from them -- whereas with this program you are already "registered" and you automatically connect if you are within range. :cool:

Last night in the parking lot at the supermarket I was logged into "ATTwifi". Good luck doing that on your own with just the regular wi-fi software on the Android phone. :p We aren't AT&T customers, but because Devicescape has a business relationship with AT&T we have access to all AT&T hotspots.

we all have different opinions...and keep up the good work with the advice..you are real thorough, and that is good

Thanks for the compliment.

Upvote 0
Um..all you have to do it go to wireless and networks...turn on your wifi...and then press wi-fi settings...and it will scan for any wifi in the area..what hoops?..if I happen to be in starbucks....then it will still show it...all I have to do is press on their connection , and connect....it's only a simple extra step...I don't need my phone to connect me automatically..most places that offer wifi is NOT password protected, so it's really not that hard my friend. and yes.. I understand how it works and what it does....and I also understand...It's not a necessity, but a battery drainer since it runs while your wifi is running, and no...if it was not pre-installed, and was a app in the market...I still would not need it as it's just as easy to connect to wifi hotspot without it.

Upvote 0
Um..all you have to do it go to wireless and networks...turn on your wifi...and then press wi-fi settings...and it will scan for any wifi in the area....if I happen to be in starbucks....then it will still show it...all I have to do is press on connection, and connect....it's only a simple extra step...I don't need my phone to connect me automatically

That's for Starbucks. What about all the others like AT&T hotspots, hotels, other coffee shops.... they all have different rules and registration requirements. This app cuts through all the clutter and even makes you eligible for wi-fi networks you would not normally be able to access on your own.

Delete it if you wish. I'm just saying it's something that is potentially quite useful. Most people don't even know what it does.

Upvote 0
That's for Starbucks. What about all the others like AT&T hotspots, hotels, other coffee shops.... they all have different rules and registration requirements. This app cuts through all the clutter and even makes you eligible for wi-fi networks you would not normally be able to access on your own.

Delete it if you wish. I'm just saying it's something that is potentially quite useful. Most people don't even know what it does.

I understand, and I already said I appreciated your very detailed input on everything you have already been posting. I feel you're very educated, and your list of stuff to remove and not remove is very detailed and down to the tee. I honestly don't go to starbucks or anyplace that I would need their wifi. If I am in a hotel, they usually give you a password if you get a room. I mostly use the wifi in my own home. I guess if I traveled or something, and was always in new areas and different places, then sure, it would be a neat little program to keep, but since I am not, and when I am.. I just simply jump through a few extra hoops, not really big deal to me, but I will tell you what, when my optimus comes, I will leave it on for a little while, and see how it works for me. Thanks again for all the information.

Upvote 0
I got rid off easy wifi as soon as I rooted and I still get logged in to all types of wifi; starbucks, att, safeway, most restaurants and businesses (if not password protected) will automatically get connected.

Exactly, and if not, you simply manually connect by going into wi-fi settings....the extra step IF needed really isn't that hard :p

Upvote 0
After that take the battery out. It's the only way to turn the phone off.

Press and hold the "Power/Lock", "Home" and "Volume down" buttons down and wait until the little droid dude and progress bar appears. Then release the buttons. This is a factory reset.

Then wait. Phone will start up and animation will take a while till it gets to the Welcome screen.

once i try the factory reset it doesnt show the droid guy or anything..it has a black screen and i can hear the metro welcome and my screen is blank..just black...what do i do now????

Upvote 0
I read on a lot of other forums that Talk.apk was linked to the market, but I think it is no longer required. Maybe that was only for older versions of android. I deleted it a while ago and I haven't noticed any problems.

on my ascend... 2.1... gtalk IS NEEDED...I learned it the hard way...i prob will just leave it on my optimus just incase

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones