• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help OK wtf, I need help pls!

CrimsonToker

Android Expert
Jul 4, 2014
Humboldt County, U.S.A.
Lately my phone has started taking it upon itself to install apps I never searched for, let alone agreed to install. Last time it was AccuWeather, forgivable. This time it was a Fox News app. Not forgivable! Fox news is the devil, they make up bold faced lies to get their way. Why is my phone doing this? It's really pissing me off. Can I safely debloat download manager? Because every time, its through that. I tried to change my password in Google play store but couldn't find the option. If it makes a difference, I'm running decaf cm11 on lg volt

Reactions: vosg and funkylogik
Actually been awhile since I have had a need for the app. Hopefully someone who's used it recently can chime in and give a bit better help but if I remember right you would want to scan and then click the addons button then scan through that list and see what is pushing stuff to your device you may want to try to just freeze suspected apps until you can confirm which one is the culprit.

Reactions: CrimsonToker
Upvote 0
Actually been awhile since I have had a need for the app. Hopefully someone who's used it recently can chime in and give a bit better help but if I remember right you would want to scan and then click the addons button then scan through that list and see what is pushing stuff to your device you may want to try to just freeze suspected apps until you can confirm which one is the culprit.
I did look through the addons section, but I just saw wall of text followed by wall of text for each app. I will go through it again and try to decipher

Upvote 0
Well, I have side loaded an apk recently, after it was pulled from the market (lock screen app I loved)

Was it a Chinese app store you got it from? It's very likely got some less than desirable adware component in it. And it's pushing and downloading unsolicited apps to you, i.e. spam, Google and Amazon prohibits such things.

I installed and scanned, but I don't understand the information it gives me. How do I decipher the results to figure out what is installing apps without permission?

It only needs internet access to download unwanted apps. Thing is a lock-screen app or wallpaper should not require that permission, unless it's giving you on-line information, like current weather or something. If it's got other things like, personal data, SMS, precise GPS location, be very suspicious, because it could be spyware. And all your personal info has been phoned home to a server in Beijing, Hyderabad or Moscow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I understand what you're saying Mike. My lock screen is snapdragon glance. It reads my activity and suggests apps to unlock into based on what I use. It also has an embedded weather widget, will show upcoming calendar events, alarm info, etc.

I can't remember which site I found it through, to be honest. It was stored on zippyshare but I found the link to the latest version through a different site

Upvote 0
I've found a couple of different versions of "Snapdragon Glance", on the "KeKe" market that comes with Chinese Oppo phones, and non of them the developer is shown as Qualcomm, One is a "Xi'an Technologies Ltd.", which tells me where that comes from.

That is the name that Glance was published under while it was on the Play Store. :thumbsupdroid:

Edit: or at least it was I guess before Qualcomm rebranded their dev account? Either way, the package name is com.xiam.snapdragon.glance and the website linked from the Play Store is https://www.xiam.com/faqs-snapdragon-glance.

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones