• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Okay..enough is enough....

I'm a fairly new DROID user, getting mine all of 8 weeks ago. It was immediately updated to 2.1.
I've been losing my mind trying to find a way to get FLASH, but to no avail and I heard that the 2.2 update will have the necessary updates for FLASH.
I'm sick and tired about hearing of the new DROID X....blah...blah...blah...! Does ANYONE have any idea as to when we will be able to download and upgrade to 2.2. I too new at this to download zip files and set up folders and extract to...and back up from....(know whatta mean?). Just a nice simple download an upgrade. NOT having FLASH is a killer.
Any help greatly appreciated/ sorry for the venting but it IS frustrating!
PS: Just downloaded the DOUBLETWIST app and I think it's FABULOUS! KUDOS to whoever came up with this. Now I can get ALL of my FIRESIGN THEATER stuff!

@ Maxxnme - Rooting is not too hard...Check out the guides in the Root subforum.

Also, for those who didn't know, Doubletwist was created by DVD John (He was the same guy who cracked DVD encryption when he was a teenager)...

**EDIT** Also, to answer your question, based on things hinted at today, the Droid will get Flash 10.1 (so also 2.2) in "Late Summer". There is also an internal memo saying July...

Upvote 0
So 2.2 was just officially released today as source code. Basically that means that Google put the code out to the public and now its up to the developer community to create custom versions called roms. We should be seeing the official versions tonight, tomorrow, and into next week. Right now there are some unofficial ones floating around that are fairly stable for the most part.

Messing with the update.zip, rom manager, rooting, etc is all necessary to run these custom roms. Theres some very good instructions throughout this site on how to do all of it, and if that fails just ask if you run into a problem.

An official update from verizon won't likely be coming for weeks, more likely months.

If you want flash now download a browser from the market called Skyfire. It plays most flash but its not perfect by any means. I haven't tried it personally for android but used to use it on windows mobile and it was decent

Upvote 0
I'm sick and tired about hearing of the new DROID X....blah...blah...blah...!
That's an easy fix. Stop clicking on the Droid X threads and articles. :p

Does ANYONE have any idea as to when we will be able to download and upgrade to 2.2.
Same as the answer for any update -- no telling. It will be available when it's available. Consider how long it took for Motorola and Verizon to push out past updates after Google released the source for Android if you want some sort of rough timeframe.

I too new at this to download zip files and set up folders and extract to...and back up from....(know whatta mean?). Just a nice simple download an upgrade. NOT having FLASH is a killer.
Well, pick your poison. Wait however many months it takes for 2.2 for the Droid to be pushed. Or start reading up on rooting, etc. You have to decide which is a bigger priority for yourself. None of us started out as experts on rooting and modding the Droid. There are guides out there and forums to request assistance if you get into trouble. Read the guides and all relevant threads that you run across. You can't have too much info on your side.

Upvote 0
Go to this thread... HERE

Follow the steps 1-6 in the first post,

and then follow everything in these videos...

***Watch this one first***
YouTube - Flashing SPRecovery SBF File to a Motorola Droid

ANNND after that video watch this one.

YouTube - Installing a Custom ROM in SPRecovery with No Root

This will pretty much grant you root access now. I was a dumb dumb with computer skills to, but Rooting is SO easy, even a caveman can do it!

Jrummy makes some amazing ROMs, check this thread HERE he has Themed ROMs and ALSO FLASH!!!!!!

After you have downloaded all of that stuff you can DL flash player HERE.

Any questions PM me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones