Okay what am i missing? Whats with KiK??

1. rsarno

rsarno Thank Me, Im Irish! VIP Member

Whats all this about KiK?? Its all i see on facebook, people spreading their usernames. Why is it so big of a deal?

Everyone is saying "omgz its just like BBM but it goes across all phones!!"

Have they never heard of AIM or Yahoo Msgr? ICQ? GTalk?

I mean this IM thing is not exactly a new concept lol.

So what gives? What does KiK bring to the table that has everyone so giggety-giggety about messaging all of a sudden lol

Advertisement
    :
  2. brownhornet

brownhornet Well-Known Member

This is what I was saying in the other thread... that thing has caught on like wildfire. It's been trending on twitter for 3 days and EVERYONE that I follow is posting up their kik name. I dont know what it is about it that makes this one so popular as compared to pmessenger or ping chat.
  3. rsarno

Everyone i ask about it just keeps saying "Dude its like BBM, but for any phone!!!"
  4. PinkMirrorKirby

PinkMirrorKirby Well-Known Member

Doesn't all IM did what Kik does?

WhatsApp does what Kik does, why does Kik gets so much fame?
  5. brownhornet

brownhornet Well-Known Member

I dont know but whatever they did... it worked lol
  6. rsarno

AIM, Y!msgr, gtalk, etc .... all missed the really big boat in not marketing it as a BBM alternative!!

I know a lot of my friends have BB's just because a lot of "chicks" have them, and the chicks want to talk using BBM for whatever reason.

I guess now if those "chicks" move away from BBM and onto KiK it will be a pretty big number of users that BB will be using, since both the "chicks" and the "dudes" will no longer be glued to that device.

Time to short RIM? lol
  7. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

I don't think Kik is anything special (for now) but most of my friends have it so now I have it. I actually find it pretty limited (no status updates, file transfers, etc). Still though it's pretty amazing how fast it caught on in a short amount of time.
  8. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

I only use Kik to keep in touch with a friend with a BB. Beyond that I see no point in its existence. They did a major overhaul recently so that's probably why the buzz.
  9. PinkMirrorKirby

For me, I'd rather talk on the phone than sending texts numerously just to get the conversation going, unless he is unavailable for talking.

Honestly every IM out there does what Kik does..
  10. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

LiveProfile is another one of these BBM clones, but it looks awesome and has some cool features (like being able to SMS/MMS within it) - might be worth checking out if people are looking for a similar service to KiK or WhatsApp or Ping Chat or however many others there are.

All of these programs suffer from a major flaw though - the other person has to have the service lol
  11. PinkMirrorKirby

It's like Skype, Skype to Skype is free whereas Skype to Landline costs a bit
  12. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

What is "KiK"? A badly typo'd "LoL". :)
  13. PinkMirrorKirby

Description:

Kik is a free smartphone to smartphone chat application. It's crazy fast, fully cross-platform, and available free worldwide

I hope you know now.
  14. DenverRalphy

DenverRalphy Well-Known Member

I don't use messaging clients that give Delivered/Read receipts. The most annoying thing I hated about using BBM was when somebody would send me a message, I'd read it, but was either too busy or just in no mood to reply back yet, but then I'd be bombarded with requests/demands to respond because they knew I read it.

Kik has deliver/read notifications, so I don't know if I'll ever use it.

All gTalk needs is a new client and it will be more than suitable to replace BBM. It's already a perfectly suitable replacement as long as you're using a 3rd party app to get group chats, pic/file sending etc...
  15. gdpmumin

gdpmumin Member

One of the small but very much appreciated features of BBM is the ability to see when a message has been delivered and read. I had no idea what Kik was until reading this thread, but I might give it a try. I was never a big user of BBM. The only person I used it with was my wife, but it was the major form of communication for us.
  16. SpicyTacoto

SpicyTacoto Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Kik. The UI looks like sugar honey iced tea. My money is on Liveprofile.