• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Old clockworkmod versus new???

I looked around, and couldn't find any concrete information on this. I know for a fact that RA is backwards compatible, but that doesn't help you much. Thing is, CW now backs up wimax. I would *think* it would be smart enough to just restore only the img files that exist, skipping whatever doesn't (since backups made in CW 2.5.0.1 won't have wimax), but I'm not positive. If I come across a better answer for you, I'll be sure to let you know.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm maybe 80% sure it's backwards compatible. I'm thinking there would be an uproar if it wasn't, and we'd have all heard about it. Also, It's *extremely* unlikely that anything will happen to the phone during a nandroid backup that will cause the phone to get messed up. I've gone as far as yanking the battery out during a nandroid backup, and the phone booted right on up after. Of course, half-backup that it created was useless, but... Also, a bad nandroid *restore* is a bad thing, but that goes without saying.

Reactions: flyjbaker
Upvote 0
I've not used 2.5, but I've went from 2.6.0.1 to 3.0.0.5 with no problems. Backups made in one always work in the other. Although Rom Manager seems to list 2.6.0.1 as the must recent; maybe because it's more widely compatible due to the amend/edify issue. Hope this helps.

ok so with rom manager you have the rom manager app version - 3.0.0.5

and with in rom manager you have the clockwork recovery version - 2.6.0.1
the old clockwork recovery is 2.5...

if you are going to use clockwork I recommend staying at version 2.5 for now. or if you have updated already I think you can back date it. inside of rom manager at the very bottom is a section for old versions. I have never clicked on it though.

the latest clockwork has been giving some people issues.... not totally confirmed yet tho...

Upvote 0
ok so with rom manager you have the rom manager app version - 3.0.0.5

and with in rom manager you have the clockwork recovery version - 2.6.0.1
the old clockwork recovery is 2.5...

if you are going to use clockwork I recommend staying at version 2.5 for now. or if you have updated already I think you can back date it. inside of rom manager at the very bottom is a section for old versions. I have never clicked on it though.

the latest clockwork has been giving some people issues.... not totally confirmed yet tho...

You're more likely to have problems with 2.5.0.1 than you are with 2.6.0.1. Of course, if 2.5 works for you, stick with it if you like. It's 3.0.x.x that only supports edify, and can't flash everything out there right now. I *have* read that some people had issues with 2.6 that they didn't have when flat out switching to RA, but hasn't that always been the case with CW regardless of version?

Upvote 0
You're more likely to have problems with 2.5.0.1 than you are with 2.6.0.1. Of course, if 2.5 works for you, stick with it if you like. It's 3.0.x.x that only supports edify, and can't flash everything out there right now. I *have* read that some people had issues with 2.6 that they didn't have when flat out switching to RA, but hasn't that always been the case with CW regardless of version?

true clockwork is more likely to create a problem then RA regaurdless of version.

i've mostly wiped and flashed with RA but when RA updated past 1.8 there seemed to be reports of problems. and there was a new version coming out every other day. this may have just been some compatibility with 0004 versions or even other phone models. not sure but i decided to switch to clockwork for my last couple of flashes.

clockwork 2.5 worked fine for me no issues. 2.6 the latest one gave me all kinds of issues. every reboot from recovery gives me lines across my screen (not really an issue, just something that happens). would not wipe dalvik, well it never really does a good job of that anyway. but this version actually locked up on dalvik wipe a couple of times, had to pull battery. it also didn't seem to wipe user data correctly either. some apps started to dissappear. could not update some apps, including rom manager. uninstalling didn't seem to help as the market still didn't want to install them.

so yeah, back to RA for me.

Upvote 0
true clockwork is more likely to create a problem then RA regaurdless of version.

i've mostly wiped and flashed with RA but when RA updated past 1.8 there seemed to be reports of problems. and there was a new version coming out every other day. this may have just been some compatibility with 0004 versions or even other phone models. not sure but i decided to switch to clockwork for my last couple of flashes.

clockwork 2.5 worked fine for me no issues. 2.6 the latest one gave me all kinds of issues. every reboot from recovery gives me lines across my screen (not really an issue, just something that happens). would not wipe dalvik, well it never really does a good job of that anyway. but this version actually locked up on dalvik wipe a couple of times, had to pull battery. it also didn't seem to wipe user data correctly either. some apps started to dissappear. could not update some apps, including rom manager. uninstalling didn't seem to help as the market still didn't want to install them.

so yeah, back to RA for me.

Thanks for the info. I think I've seen you talk about this elsewhere, too. It's the first case I've read about where clockwork (2.6, that is) really went that badly.

I'm still using RA 1.80 and I'm happy with it. It's never let me down. I'll wait for the dust to settle before upgrading to anything (even new RA).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. I think I've seen you talk about this elsewhere, too. It's the first case I've read about where clockwork (2.6, that is) really went that badly.

I'm still using RA 1.80 and I'm happy with it. It's never let me down. I'll wait for the dust to settle before upgrading to anything (even new RA).

I think that's a good idea. wish I had done that but I had already updated rom manger without thinking about it. probably could go back if I loaded an older nandroid or searched my computer for it.

I just figured I would check out clockwork. it didn't go so well... ah well, could have been an isolated case for all I know.

Upvote 0
I think that's a good idea. wish I had done that but I had already updated rom manger without thinking about it. probably could go back if I loaded an older nandroid or searched my computer for it.

I just figured I would check out clockwork. it didn't go so well... ah well, could have been an isolated case for all I know.

If you really want it, I'll go look for it. I probably have it on my PC here somewhere in PC36IMG.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones