Old Droid/New Droid: Different GMail

Last Updated:

1. AndyH

AndyH Active Member This Topic's Starter

Feb 18, 2010
    No question and no problem, just posting an observation. I had a Droid (37/09) that rebooted on its own a couple of times and wouldn't turn back on easily, so I returned it during my initial 30-day worry-free guarantee period. And the new Droid (50/09) has a slightly different way of showing e-mails to which I am replying when typing. FYI, both Droids were/are running stock 2.0.1, and I exclusively use the GMail app.

The old Droid (37/09): When replying to an e-mail, below the text box where I would input text, GMail only showed the first sentence or so of the original sender's e-mail, followed by an ellipses (. . . ). No big deal, but not always helpful.

The new Droid (50/09): When I hit "Reply" at the bottom of an e-mail in the GMail app, there is a text box for text input, and then below that the quoted text begins and displays the entire e-mail to which I am replying. This is helpful.

For those who like lots of detail, I purchased Droid 1 (37/09) in mid-January from my local VZW store, and I traded it in last week at the store.

Sorry, no pics.

For what it is worth, I figured I'd share the observation.

2. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Probably there was an update to the GMail app recently, and the new one had the updated version. I bet you could have gotten in on your old Droid if you had updated GMail via the Martketplace.
  3. Darkwarrior006

Darkwarrior006 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    my old droid, which i too got in January, wont open the gmail app because of an error, so i rebooted it. Needless to say, it never turned back on after that and i had to get another one. So you are more than likely right about the gmail app, im sure the newer droids have an updated version of gmail.