• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Old high-end (Atrix) vs new mid-range (Optimus L7) at the same price?

syrup55

Lurker
Dec 13, 2012
Hi there!

I'm new here so I wanted to say hi and pose you the question: which one is better? an old high-end smartphone like the Motorola Atrix 4G or a new mid-range like the LG Optimus L7 or the Sony Xperia U? All of them being the same price? (they're all about $200)

For one side, it appears I'd get better hardware going for the Atrix (january 2011) which has a 1Ghz dual core A9, 1GB RAM, 16GB storage, 720p video recording, and a 4 inch 540 x 960 display. The main problem here is the fact that the Atrix did not get ICS, it's true I could install a custom rom like MIUI or CM but I'm afraid they'll be too buggy and I'll have no option but to remain stuck with GB :(

On the other side, L7's and Xperia U's (may 2012) hardware leaves a lot to be desired: although the LG has NFC, slightly bigger screen and a sleeker design, it has a single core processor, half of ram, one quarter of storage, smaller resolution. The Xperia U is dualcore but the screen is too small, it has half of ram, half of storage and no SD card option BUT they both have ICS and most surely Jelly Bean on the way.

What would you choose? or do you know any other options? :thinking:

regards! :D

If the version of Android is such an important factor to you, I'm going to suggest that you're not going to be a happy customer in general if you are shopping budget level android phones. For starters you're inaccurate to say that newer budget androids are sure bets for updates. Entry Level android phones are never sure bets for receiving official updates in a timely manner.

I was in your position and went with the Atrix rather than one of the newer budget phones simply because the hardware on them really sucks. Unfortunately I've never been happy with any of the phones $200 will get me so I'm back to higher prices phones again this March.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones