Old SIM card preventing GPS lock??Support

Last Updated:

1. marhodges

marhodges Member This Topic's Starter

An AT&T customer support person told me today that my GPS (even with their AT&T Navigator) will not work with my current SIM card. I have an orange 64K SIM card (63513G) and connect to 3G and HSPDA.

Do I really need a new one or they just trying to force me to get a new data plan.

I have an ancient plan called Media Max (pre smart phone plan) with unlimited data and do not want to change.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Advertisement
  2. meackerman

meackerman Active Member

I've got an old cingular white w/ orange stripe sim card and no GPS lock.

But my bet is they're trying to get you to get a new data plan.

3. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

GPS on the captivate is iffy sometimes. I have a new simcard (about a week old) and sometimes my gps doesnt get a lock.

4. Chris_Marie

Chris_Marie Well-Known Member

Did they say you would have to move to a new data plan if you switched sim cards?

5. mnemonicj

mnemonicj Well-Known Member

I got a brand new SIM card with my phone and the GPS has mostly been horrible. I don't think the GPS lock has anything to do with the SIM card. Don't let them change your plan if you don't want them to. That plan sounds old enough that you might have been grandfathered in to actual unlimited data rather than the "Unlimited" plan with a 5GB cap, or the new 2GB plan.

6. fldude99

fldude99 Well-Known Member

Sim card has NOTHING to do with GPS lock...it could have something to do with connecting to the Agps sever..but that would not prevent an eventual lock

7. Southern Hoosier

Southern Hoosier New Member

My wife and I bought 2 new Galaxy 580. Her phone got great GPS lock, mine got poor. Since I use GPS more than her, we pulled out our SIMS cards and switched phones. Hers still got great GPS and mine still got poor. The only difference we could see was she had the newer blue SIMS and I had the older Orange one. Without the SIMS card in, both phone cards got poor GPS lock. Tomorrow I'll get a new Blue one.

It it seems that the SIMS card does make a difference, but I don't know why it should.